Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rejoice! Ad-Hoc Solved!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Super Sabre

Super Sabre

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat
Ad-Hoc mode got you bummed about not being able to enjoy the other half of AC:X? Yearn to earn the additional 18 Medals and climb the Ranks to General?

*Cue Track 25 of AC:X*

Well, no more will the lack of NAMCO foresight get in your way with XLink Kai Evolution VII PC Program! Simply use a USB Wi-Fi Point for your PC and this program and the entire world of AC:X is open wide for your enjoyment! Seize it and prove your worth as the best Ace!

:lol:

----------------

Links :

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ (Program)

http://www.circuitci...mp;cm_keycode=4 (Device)

Edit: Please spread this far and wide, from each squadron forums to the NAMCO boards to the hobo on the street! If a person you know has a PSP and AC:X or plans on doing so, tell them about this!

Mobius1

Mobius1

• Members
  • 6,820 posts
  • Squad:N/A Squadron
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
This is a dumb idea. Why? It goes against the programming of ACX, and risks screwing it up. Plus, it requires purchase of a USB Wi-Fi point, instead of a wireless internet hub. Plus, it probably isnt that good, as it is local-designed. Making it internet thus opens up the chances for serious crashes or other problems.

Tempest

Tempest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified
Funny, I have heard no- zero, zip, nilch- horror stories about XLink or involving it in any way, shape, or form. It's not really any more risky than, say, upgrading your firmware directly over the internet.

Ribbon-Red

Ribbon-Red

Manly McBeefington

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Squad:9th Air Division Inc.
  • Plane:F-15 ACTIVE

This is a dumb idea. Why? It goes against the programming of ACX, and risks screwing it up. Plus, it requires purchase of a USB Wi-Fi point, instead of a wireless internet hub. Plus, it probably isnt that good, as it is local-designed. Making it internet thus opens up the chances for serious crashes or other problems.

You ever heard of 'modding' for a game? It's practically the same thing. The creators of Grand Theft Auto never incorporated any multiplayer into GTA 3, VC and (to some extent) SA, yet people created multiplayer add-ons to those games and people play them.

Ok, it doesn't go EXACTLY into ACX's programming, but it IS meant for online and that means you can also utilize it for infrastructure. So far, I haven't heard a single bad story about Xlink Kai.

Tempest is right, you have the same risk as upgrading firmware through the internet, which (if something happens) can brick your PSP.

Why are you looking for problems instead of solutions? Unless you can create a network of people who can meet up and play and schedule games, i'd be grateful that someone's been kind enough to provide us with a chance to not have to drive around, looking for people to play ACX.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Mobius1

Mobius1

• Members
  • 6,820 posts
Fine. Ill give it a shot.

Guest_Nohbdy_121_*

Guest_Nohbdy_121_*
  • Guests
Wait... I'm confused. I thought AC:X had the Wi-Fi option availible, and all you had to do was find a hotspot.

RainbowPhoenix

RainbowPhoenix

Gespenst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Plane:XFA-27
Man...
ACE-X, no Wi-Fi, only AD-Hoc.
Clear?

Guest_echo419_*

Guest_echo419_*
  • Guests
it harms nothing, and works with any ad hoc psp game. It just tricks your psp into thinking a wifi transmitter is another psp

Mobius1

Mobius1

• Members
  • 6,820 posts
Im not shelling out 40 bucks for a transmitter right now.

Guest_Nohbdy_121_*

Guest_Nohbdy_121_*
  • Guests

Man...
ACE-X, no Wi-Fi, only AD-Hoc.
Clear?

Ok, my bad. I had the two terms confused with each other.

Guest_ADFX-02_Morgan_*

Guest_ADFX-02_Morgan_*
  • Guests
So, Let me get this straight...

I have to buy the Transmitter for this to work?

That doesn't make any sense. I have a Linksys WRT54G Model Router that I use with my laptop and PSP to get on the internet and what not... It seems like if I downloaded the program to my PC and ran it and so on, I should be able to do it like that, without paying 40 donuts for that thing.

Timerlane

Timerlane

Overseer of Slag Determination

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Squad:Old Legacy-Series Grognard
  • Plane:MiG-31 Foxhound-A
If you can already connect to the internet via the PSP, I'm pretty sure you're already set. I think he just gave an 'example' device in case one didn't have the ability yet.

All it does is use your computer(s) to relay the same data you would be sending, across the internet; I don't think there much of a risk at all of anything bad happening. People have already been using this for at least a couple of years now to play direct network-link console games, like Armored Core(NX-LR), and GT4.

Tempest

Tempest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified

So, Let me get this straight...

I have to buy the Transmitter for this to work?

That doesn't make any sense. I have a Linksys WRT54G Model Router that I use with my laptop and PSP to get on the internet and what not... It seems like if I downloaded the program to my PC and ran it and so on, I should be able to do it like that, without paying 40 donuts for that thing.

Actually, as it would happen, there's a guide over on Team XLink's forums to setting up XLink Kai to work ith a WRT54G

DXPetti

DXPetti

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken
*sigh* I have been touting this way before AC:X even came out :|

The whole reason for the Wifi USB transmitter is because you need to be able to change the wireless transmitter to Ad Hoc mode instead of Infrastructure and not many routers have that ability. With the USB Wifi transmitter (or any laptop Wifi card, inbuilt or external) you use windows to configure the wireless and in windows you have the ability to change it to ad hoc mode.

Super Sabre

Super Sabre

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
Please sticky this topic as well so people know how to set up their PSPs to play on Kai with Ad-Hoc mode. Thank you. :lol:

css

css

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle
I have the right router, but it's v5 :lol: and I'm broke so I can't get the wifi max.

It's also strange that I posted a topic just like this one a while back and it got shot down faster than the AA guns in ACX can ever shoot an aircraft down....

Silent Shark

Silent Shark

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

The creators of Grand Theft Auto never incorporated any multiplayer into GTA 3, VC and (to some extent) SA, yet people created multiplayer add-ons to those games and people play them.

I don't think that's strictly true.

As far as I was aware, they did some code for network/internet play, but it was abandoned. The modders simply resurrected it and tried to complete it. It's not possible to shoehorn any kind of multiplayer into a game without the source code, unless the basic code has already been done.

That's kinda what is happening here, in that it's using existing abilities and trying to extend them. I'm not familiar with this particular system, but I guess it's using the Ad-Hoc part of the game and forcing it down the internet to someone else doing the same thing. As far as the game is concerned, you're ad-hoc. There should be no risks to anything other than it might not work occasionally (depends on the internet connection and how well the software handles the data), so if you have the hardware you can do it.

Super Sabre

Super Sabre

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
Yeah, it's called "Tunneling". It tricks the LAN/Ad-Hoc into thinking the connection is local when it's really global. (Well, global in theory, most LAN and Ad-Hoc games don't have Latency Tolerences programmed into them. So they lose connection amazingly easy.)

keakster

keakster

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Plane:Rafale M
for the people who have got this to work ..

what is your setup?
i have a laptop connected to a router wirelessly, so i figure i have to buy a wireless pc card or usb adaptor to get this going .. but i wanna make sure that people are having success with a similar setup, and that there are actually people willing to play..

thanks

pimpboywannabe

pimpboywannabe

Yahh trick yahh!!! (BTW, I hate that song)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Squad:None
  • Plane:T.1A Hawk
I have a Netgear wireless router, one of the new ones. Will it work with that? Because I seriosuly don't want to mess up the router. It was like $80 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users