Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

30 FPS on consoles

11 replies to this topic

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

In [Kono's] mind, framerate is a tricky target, that has greater importance in different genres. For Tekken 7, 60 frames per second was a requirement and anything less than that was unacceptable. But with Ace Combat, additional leeway is allowed, since he feels the benefit of enhanced visuals outweighs the need for a consistent 60 frames per second here.

I don't know why anyone would have expected any different, but hey, here's confirmation.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
How many games do 1080p with 60 fps locked?

Of course it will make AC7 look awesome, but i guess Ace combat it's not as important as Tekken to banco.
Maybe boost mode on the pro.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

guess we pc bois

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

AC6 was 30 and that was fine, so I'm not too bothered although I'd definitely take 60 with worse graphics instead.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,842 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle
It's not 30fps but unlocked framerate. My guess is they'll try to get it like ACZ; mostly around 60 but with drops and stutters at time.

Kono's point is that perfect 60fps isn't necessary for AC on a TV, whereas it is for Fighting games or VR.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,817 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

It's not 30fps but unlocked framerate. My guess is they'll try to get it like ACZ; mostly around 60 but with drops and stutters at time.

So I'm not the only one who gets stutter in the NTSC version of ACZ then. That's the only reason I play on the PAL version, I guess running at 50 instead gives the hardware the leeway needed.

Flaren89

Flaren89

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

VR is a MUST to have at least 90fps, this is why PS VR have lower graphics than regular version. This is because the eyes will watch only at the visor, and having less than 90 will give motion sickness as the refresh rate of the screen is lower than human eye. Doesn't happen in a regular TV/monitor as the eye still have spatial fps of what happens around the screen.

PC VR have same graphic as the regular playstyle, but at the cost of needing a powerfull PC, and this is why there are SteamVRReady programs etc. If you don't match the criteria, you have to upgrade the hardware. The only thing you could do on console, is to upgrade from fat/slim version to PRO, but there's nothing you can really touch on it.

I am one of those that would like to get 60 fps as I know which there are huge differences, but I'm also aware that if a game is really well done and can keep 30fps stable, also the latter is enough. Just look at Horizon: Zero Dawn.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

but Zero dawn was a trash game.

Cydramech

Cydramech

Rookie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern
As long as it stays consistent or doesn't dip below 30 FPS, it should be okay. But damn, sad to hear.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II
30fps is satisfactory for this department

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

It's not unlocked, it's capped at 60. They're probably going to lock it for release anyway, since it barely manages to get above 30 when anything interesting is on screen. There's no point leaving it uncapped when the only time it gets above 40 is when you're facing straight up looking at nothing but empty sky.

I don't know why you'd think it'd mostly run at 60 when it's averaging way lower in the footage so far and Kono explicitly said that visuals are more important. If it did run at a consistent 60 they'd just see that as free power to turn the graphics up, since 60 FPS is unnecessary according to them.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

My PC couldn't run it at 60 anyway so I don't care.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users