Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Teaching English with Ace Combat 04 - suitable or too many flaws?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

zeeman

zeeman

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

Hello guys,

as a soon-to-be teacher for English in Germany I wondered if it would make sense to implement some of Ace Combat 04's cutscenes to teach the language. In my opinion there are many examples for the use of tenses and  vocabularies that are vital (gaze, defeaning, circle around) for a solid word pool. 

Sure there are examples in other installments of the franchise (i.e. 5 "Your hatred is slowing you down") that probably aren't fitting, but I would like to know from you native speakers whether or not this might be a clever approach in 04's case? To expand further would other titles (Zero or 6) be suitable in your opinion?

Looking forward to hear your opinions and ideas.

Regards

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

why not hatoful boyfriend instead

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

Of all the threads I did not expect to ever read about on this site, this is one of them.

Um, I mean it works but surely there are better games out there. Ones with more dialogue, namely.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

ace combat 5 is a good game to each english with

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

ace combat 5 is a good game to each english with

Eie lern inglish wit et.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,179 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Just going by the cutscenes? I'd second 04 for the additional reason that the cutscenes almost tell a coherent story if you string them together. Zero almost does too.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Just going by the cutscenes? I'd second 04 for the additional reason that the cutscenes almost tell a coherent story if you string them together. Zero almost does too.

more proof that ac5 is for the plebs amirite

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

I wouldn't recommend ACZ tbh; the localization there can be a bit weird. If you're just using AC04's cut-scenes nothing is leaping out to me as bad grammar. I'd have to think about it though.

How good is the average German gradeschoolers English?

zeeman

zeeman

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Yes. Using just the 04 cutscenes is what I would like to do :) 

In Germany students start to have English as a foreign language in grade 3. There they learn the basic stuff like mother, father, school. With the transition to secondary school (grade 5) it becomes a major subject. In Germany there are 3 main subjects: German, English and Math. Your very own GEMs so to speak :D On average they usually have a very basic word pool. Unknown words are clarified before they get to read, listen or watch new footage. If th For 04 I would start probably from grade 8 . Otherwise the kids would be too young and don't get some of the messages and meaning. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users