Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tips on beating this game.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

fmj77

fmj77

Noob

• Members
  • 6 posts

I have never been able to beat Ace Combat 5, even on the very easy setting. This is the only AC game I can't finish. Can you all give me some advice on the right planes and tactics to use? I'm tired of smashing controllers trying to finish this.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,893 posts
  • Squad:DAS FUNK
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

What parts are you having difficulty with?

fmj77

fmj77

Noob

• Members
  • 6 posts

I'm stuck on mission 28, "Aces".

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

I'm stuck on mission 28, "Aces".

It's mostly a very annoying mission more than a challenging one imo, but I'll assume you are stuck at the tunnel like everyone was at one point. Don't feel pressured by Hammy at the back, just go slightly faster. Focus on nothing but trying not to crash and stay low at the center as the tunnel doors open upwards or sideways. Staying low requires less sudden movement, which means a lower chane of overcorrection only to just end up at a terrible angle to crash into a wall and having to wait 9 goddamn minutes again. The annoying part comes after you pass Bartlett as you have the damn cranes. Fly in the center for the first crane (first tunnel after Bartlett) in order to have the least trouble. Then comes the second tunnel, which is what I consider PA's "fuck you" to everyone that tries this mission for the first time. Avoid the bottom at all costs because that will most likely cause you to crash. After yet another crane which you preferably want to fly in the center for now, there's two barriers. Fly more towards the top and just after the second barrier pull down gently (if I told you to do it more violently I'm pretty sure you would crash and have to restart like 11 minutes of flying). Past that and you should remain low for the next tunnel doors and then you're golden.

Oh but the planes m8 what about them??? AC 5 missiles are garbage and so just flying a bit off-center will make them miss. Or you could stock up on XMAAs/XLAAs or something. Stocking up on those makes the next (and last) mission even easier than the joke it already is, at least in comparison to the seriously annoying tunnel section oh god why PA just put a checkpoint before the tunnel goddamn dude. Still, overall flying line you ought to follow isn't too bad.

But yeah, that should be how you get past the tunnel, which is definitely where you must be stuck at. Look up vids of that mission's tunnel section and learn that a bit. If it also helps, the margin of error for the tunnel doors increases the faster you go, so slam that R1 button hard in the straights. Of course if you haven't mastered the whole flying part this can lead to you crashing, but just at least try it in the straights. Maybe 1st person view could help with knowing where your plane is going, then you can switch to 3rd person in the next mission. I had one hell of a mental block with this mission at first until I learned the general gist after a few tries of going a little fast, then I found out that the reason I perceived it as hard was because PA didn't add a checkpoint before the tunnel.

Edited by Hue, 4 weeks ago.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,151 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

If your problem is that you keep drifting in the tunnel and overcorrecting, I suggest using rudder more. A lot of new players only turn using roll and pitch, so their movements are imprecise and violent.

One of the things that kept getting me waaay back when I first played AC5 were the random barriers sticking up in the tunnel in the segment past Bartlett when the shutters begin closing. It might help to turn the brightness on your TV up in that case, or even just to play in a dark room. This will aid in visibility.

Oh, and welcome back. I see you were asking for help on the last mission of AC6 back in 2010. Did you ever beat that one?

fmj77

fmj77

Noob

• Members
  • 6 posts

Thanks for the tips guys. And yes, I did beat AC6 not long after I got advice from this site. My main complaint about AC5 so far is the lack of checkpoints. It sucks to fly for 10-15 minutes in a mission and then have to start all over from the beginning.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

If your problem is that you keep drifting in the tunnel and overcorrecting, I suggest using rudder more. A lot of new players only turn using roll and pitch, so their movements are imprecise and violent.

One of the things that kept getting me waaay back when I first played AC5 were the random barriers sticking up in the tunnel in the segment past Bartlett when the shutters begin closing. It might help to turn the brightness on your TV up in that case, or even just to play in a dark room. This will aid in visibility.

Oh, and welcome back. I see you were asking for help on the last mission of AC6 back in 2010. Did you ever beat that one?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the use of rudder. Definitely something to use for this mission, even when missiles are flying towards you. I ain't joking when I say that AC 5 missiles are pathetic.

Thanks for the tips guys. And yes, I did beat AC6 not long after I got advice from this site. My main complaint about AC5 so far is the lack of checkpoints. It sucks to fly for 10-15 minutes in a mission and then have to start all over from the beginning.

That problem persisted ever since AC 4 tbh. In that game, PA decided it had to go with long missions, for previous titles had missions that could end in 5-10 minutes (significantly less than that in AC 2) depending on how much you value shooting down every single optional target. This also explains why AC 4 is the first time the return line has been introduced, as the devs thought that with such massive shooting galleries players would run out of ammo. Then for some dumb reason they forgot all about the return line in AC 5 while keeping the same shooting galleries in, which is kinda silly. The shooting galleries were fixed with score-based missions in ACZ and the entire concept of long missions being tedious has been fixed since AC 6. Why it took them so long is another story entirely.

Still, just take the advice people gave here and chillax. If you don't chill you might pitch too hard and slam into the walls. It's sad though, as the AC 5 tunnel is a pretty decent tunnel marred by a horrible lack of checkpoints. It's like being forced to finish a game of minesweeper before you can respawn in Super Meat Boy.

Edited by Hue, 4 weeks ago.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
Checkpoints? Noooo. Just come on. It's the last sortie you know "It's almost kinda sad".

Just take it easy and don't go full throttle in the tunnel.

And whoa Nemo you remember that or did you checked his last post?

Edited by Grimace, 4 weeks ago.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,151 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

I'm with Hue on checkpoints. If you're going to have longass missions with time limits and scripted events that you have to wait around for, checkpoints are a must. I'm guessing the "everyone comes together singing Journey Home" sequence has probably lost its charm the nth time sitting through it after dying.

And whoa Nemo you remember that or did you checked his last post?

Haha, nah, I just looked up their other posts. I have a really good memory for members, but not that good.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
Easy games are boring and checkpoints make games easy, AC3 it's hard but the others are not (haven't played 6, so I can't say). You know Demon's souls, Dark souls make you feel like you did something great when you finish them and that's​ what Ace combat lacks.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,893 posts
  • Squad:DAS FUNK
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

Easy games are boring and checkpoints make games easy, AC3 it's hard but the others are not (haven't played 6, so I can't say). You know Demon's souls, Dark souls make you feel like you did something great when you finish them and that's​ what Ace combat lacks.

That's what Ace of Aces should be for. Ironic the one game that got it is the one that needed it the least - though it is of course still great.

In any case, there's no difficulty in waiting for AC5's scripted events to play all over again - it's just plain boring.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Just take it easy and don't go full throttle in the tunnel.

Though trying to go through the tunnel at full throttle in a MiG-31M is stupid fun. That is, if you're using PCSX2 with a save state right at the beginning of the tunnel.

Ace Combat does have these moments such as when you finally defeat the Yellows in AC 4 or Fenrirs in ACX or slapping Pixy in ACZ. Or even just taking out Excalibur. Demons of the Round Table also conveyed this feel of glory decently. The problem is that those moments aren't as stupid pronounced as Dark Souls, which is made to be unforgiving in such a way so that taking out a boss feels amazing each time unless one sunk a lot of time into the game.

And yes, I have left out AC 3 JP because I know I will sperg about it having a reasonable amount of difficulty and good endgame meta.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

There's a big difference between "hard" and "annoying". Souls games suffer from it too, where a boss being hard and killing you 20 times is fine but the checkpoint being 2 minutes away is just annoying and doesn't add to the difficulty whatsoever. The Aces tunnel is a far worse example for new players. The tunnel itself is fine, having to play through a completely non-challenging 7+ minute section every time is just plain dumb.

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

You know Demon's souls, Dark souls make you feel like you did something great when you finish them and that's​ what Ace combat lacks.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls make you feel let down when you finish them because the last bosses are weak and can be beaten super easily with a simple strategy. Oh wait, that's just like Ofnir/Grabacr not even trying to dodge XMAA/XLAA.

I guess AC5 is like Dark Souls. Just, y'know, in a bad way.

PS replaying the start of mission 27 if you crash in the tunnel is about as fun as running back to Bed of Chaos if you fall in a hole in her fight. Which is to say, not. It's not fun. Nowhere near fun.

Edited by Brain Golem, 4 weeks ago.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
I get it, videogames should not be frustrating, but guys AC3 is and I really felt satisfied when I finished it.
That's​ the feeling we should get when we finish a game.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

I get it, videogames should not be frustrating, but guys AC3 is and I really felt satisfied when I finished it.
That's​ the feeling we should get when we finish a game.

Of course you felt satisfied, as AC 3 JP has the best mechanics out of any Ace Combat game possibly and its mission time is quite short. Hell, you get penalized with a bad rank if you aren't fast enough in quite a few missions.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Of course you felt satisfied, as AC 3 JP has the best mechanics out of any Ace Combat game possibly and its mission time is quite short. Hell, you get penalized with a bad rank if you aren't fast enough in quite a few missions.

It has nothing to do with length, it's about the effort and concentration because if you screw it up by crashing it's not the game's fault.
I mean you are pretending to be a fighter pilot, if you fuck it up you are dead.
So screw checkpoints.

fmj77

fmj77

Noob

• Members
  • 6 posts

Finally finished this game after so many tries! Thanks for the help guys. I actually had a harder time with the "White Bird part 2" mission than "Aces". The final mission was easy though. I guess I suck having to beat this game on the very easy setting.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Finally finished this game after so many tries! Thanks for the help guys. I actually had a harder time with the "White Bird part 2" mission than "Aces". The final mission was easy though. I guess I suck having to beat this game on the very easy setting.

The final mission is definitely a joke. It is definitely possible to consistently demolish Ofnir and Grabacr just by spamming XLAAs at the first pass. This is more a reason why the MiG-31M is clearly superior plane.

Also, now try to finish the game on hard difficulty at the very least.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

See guys EASY. And congrats for finishing AC5 it was "almost kinda sad" wasn't​ it?

Now do it on Ace, it's just less ammo and one missile shots you down and two to shot down enemy planes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users