Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thoughts on the New Trailer and the Direction of AC7

2 replies to this topic

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

So been thinking, this trailer really should be treated as the first actual 'teaser' for the game, as it seems pretty obvious last year's was a rush job. Which raises the question to me how it stacks up against previous teasers. For reference:

Now, while I think these are technically much better cut than AC7's second teaser, I think AC7's new teaser is a better ad for Ace Combat. 5's and 0's demand a certain reverence for the series in their communication priorities, which I think is lost on the casual consumer (was pretty psyched for the AC5 teaser in 2003 but I was even more of a turbonerd back then (also: was 12)). Ace Combat 7's certainly has a lot of fanservice, but I think it frames it in a way that put's AC's strengths as a franchise first (Anime Melodrama, Exotic Weaponry, Thrilling Dogfights and top of the line visuals). Granted, PA was operating from a position of strength in 2003 and 2005, still riding high off the success of AC04, so AC7's trailers need to be engaging in a way the old ones did not. But I think the big thing to me is this showed confidence in their vision for the game which I feel last year's trailer clearly lacked.

I found Drawfag's dissection of the original trailer  here to be the best tear down of it, but that raises an open ended question to me; in what does this PSX's trailer improve on the defects of last year's? Does it give you confidence in the direction the game is headed? What other things do you wish to see clarified?

Tomcatlover

Tomcatlover

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Plane:F-14E Tomcat 21
The first teaser looked like a mere tech demo. The movement, radio chatter, everything was mediocre at best. It felt like some 20$ title of sorts, hell even AC:Is teasers were better (imo). It Was cool to know that Ace Combat isn't dead, but when I think of how excited I was after seeing AC6's or AH's trailer the first time, AC7 left me a with a big: uh okay... now what?

The New trailer definitely put me back on the right track though. I mean, it's still not as engaging as older AC trailers (the music is so... non-ACish^^), but the Aircrafts and visuals look like an actual game now and the cutscenes in AC:5 style give me hope for a proper AC story as well. Said it before, but actually they could've left out last years trailer and I would probably be more excited now.

Sushiludo

Sushiludo

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

I didn't watch all the trailers for the past ACs so I am not really able to tell if this one is as good as the others but the new trailer looks definitely more appealing than the first one, event though it was not that bad IMO. Now I wonder what the story will be, where and when it takes place etc.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users