Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Me during "Handful of Hope"

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,166 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Grimm is great, because he's not trying to be cool. Not only is he a lame nerd who is out of place in a story about heroic pilots, he's written so that he knows he's a lame nerd who is out of place in a story about heroic pilots. Everyone else is written for GRAVITAS or else specifically to be likable, which makes Grimm almost moe in comparison. Grimm is not only not your worst wingman in AC5, he's probably your best.

PJ is better though.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Grimm is great, because he's not trying to be cool. Not only is he a lame nerd who is out of place in a story about heroic pilots, he's written so that he knows he's a lame nerd who is out of place in a story about heroic pilots. Everyone else is written for GRAVITAS or else specifically to be likable, which makes Grimm almost moe in comparison. Grimm is not only not your worst wingman in AC5, he's probably your best.

PJ is better though.

PJ and Grimm share a similar role as being the rookie compared to the player. PJ's actually decent according to the story, but he just isn't Pixy tier good. Grimm is just a rookie the whole way through, but he tries. If his character was fleshed out past the newbie stereotype, he could have been an excellent character with a solid arc. Just like Snow could have been cool if he just spoke more about himself. Or if Chopper had more nuance. Or if Nagase actually died during that rescue mission admitting that being soft does indeed get you killed in war.

fuck me why did ac 5 have to be that rushed

Georgia Ace

Georgia Ace

New and improved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Plane:F/A-18F Super Hornet

PJ and Grimm share a similar role as being the rookie compared to the player. PJ's actually decent according to the story, but he just isn't Pixy tier good. Grimm is just a rookie the whole way through, but he tries. If his character was fleshed out past the newbie stereotype, he could have been an excellent character with a solid arc. Just like Snow could have been cool if he just spoke more about himself. Or if Chopper had more nuance. Or if Nagase actually died during that rescue mission admitting that being soft does indeed get you killed in war.

fuck me why did ac 5 have to be that rushed

I feel like PJ would be better liked if the he could actually hit anything once in awhile. I get if from a story perspective, but gameplay wise he's such a step down from Pixy's excellent support it just rubbed me the wrong. 

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

I feel like PJ would be better liked if the he could actually hit anything once in awhile. I get if from a story perspective, but gameplay wise he's such a step down from Pixy's excellent support it just rubbed me the wrong. 

idk, I never really used wingmen much in the Ace Combat series. I only cared about allied support in AC 6 because it is the area extermination button incarnate, while I would usually just order my wingmen to disperse. It might be that the aircraft in the AC series are too frail. I noticed this when playing Mechwarrior 4 Mercs, as the mechs themselves take a significant beating before exploding, thus requiring a concentrated attack on one mech just to wear it down. With all Ace Combat games with wingmen it's just shoot two or three missiles and they dead. Except Ace Combat 6 of course because allied support is a guided carpet bombing.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

idk, I never really used wingmen much in the Ace Combat series. I only cared about allied support in AC 6 because it is the area extermination button incarnate, while I would usually just order my wingmen to disperse. It might be that the aircraft in the AC series are too frail. I noticed this when playing Mechwarrior 4 Mercs, as the mechs themselves take a significant beating before exploding, thus requiring a concentrated attack on one mech just to wear it down. With all Ace Combat games with wingmen it's just shoot two or three missiles and they dead. Except Ace Combat 6 of course because allied support is a guided carpet bombing.

I know for 0 on higher difficulties Pixy could go out and kill a good chunk of kills during a mission, more so if it was a air heavy mission. For 5 wingmen did best if you switched between attack and cover. On the very few occasions that the braindead enemies got behind it did help.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

Well if you use them properly they will shot down some enemies the thing is they will only shoot one Standard missile per attack and just damage the enemy plane, but if you get lucky they use the Sp weapon and be more useful, like Ekirbo says attack and cover, but of course you don't need them at all. 

Edited by Grimace, 18 October 2016 - 07:48 AM.

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Funk
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

When you farm UAVs in LoG and still only get an A rank

NEFJFo0.gif

Edited by Tomcat, 18 October 2016 - 12:29 PM.

AceOfAces

AceOfAces

Flankerholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Squad:The Michael Rosen Rappers
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

Hue was right, I was too hard on Four Horsemen, I forgot all about TIME LIMIT. (I hear the airliner mission in JA is just as bad or even worse, but have not played JA)

ragequit2.jpg

Mayhem:

tom-cruise-and-kelly-mcgillis-in-top-gun

Deliberately failing The Unsung War so I could find out if there was a cutscene of the SOLG crushing Oured:

c44.jpg

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

>my reaction to the Aurelian Liberation Corps in that ACX mission with the train and the factories

30744897.jpg

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

>my reaction to the Aurelian Liberation Corps in that ACX mission with the train and the factories

30744897.jpg

Literally the biggest morons in the franchise.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

>mfw belkans do anything ever

l1GUHGY.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users