Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Laser CIWS: How should it work?

11 replies to this topic

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

So was thinking recently; since this game will be taking place, most likely, in the mid-to-late 2020s, Laser CIWS on surface combatants should be pretty common. It got me thinking about how they should be implemented. IRL, Kilowatt-grade lasers are too low-powered to be effective against manned aircraft and are instead meant to down incoming missiles and UAVs. AC of course has always fudged the power on its lasers, making them capable of punching through armor as early as 1995. So my question is, if implemented, should Laser CIWS only shoot down missiles, target your craft, or both?

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,139 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

It probably won't exist, because regular CIWS has never existed in Ace Combat except for ACAH iirc. I don't see any reason why AC7 would be different, unless they wanted to make some kind of ship combat mechanic.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

It probably won't exist, because regular CIWS has never existed in Ace Combat except for ACAH iirc. I don't see any reason why AC7 would be different, unless they wanted to make some kind of ship combat mechanic.

There was CIWS in AC6 too; the Kirov (I think?) in the San Loma Assault Co-Op mission had it.

Laser CIWS just strikes me though as something a dev would wanna put into the series to go "Now the AC series may seem fantastic at times, but weapons like these are beginning tested as we speak". You know, the CoD Devs  rationalization for DARPA tactikewl wetdreams. And I mean they've used similar language to talk about Space Elevators and Drones, so I don't think Laser CIWS would be tha fantastic.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,139 posts

I had no idea - I'd never played the co-op missions in AC6.

Anyway, I guess it's irrelevant, since you were asking "how should they," not "will they." Which to answer, I have no idea.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

I had no idea - I'd never played the co-op missions in AC6.

Anyway, I guess it's irrelevant, since you were asking "how should they," not "will they." Which to answer, I have no idea.

I guess my question should rather be, how would you like to see them utilized. I think shooting down missiles and bombs would be cool honestly, because as it stands ASW, while fun, is a bit too easy IMO.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

IMHO, it'd probably work the same way CIWS has worked so far, just fancier and with more lasers. It would also possibly have better range against missiles, but not do as much against your actual plane - since in Ace Combat, anti-aircraft lazors are reserved for superweapons.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern
Hell, why not have it be able to cut down your bullets alongside your regular ordnance but it's only available for the higher difficulties, the balancing factor being that the faster you go, the higher the chance of your bullets hitting.

If that fails, then have a friendly kamikaze into the ship lol

Edited by Muscle Man, 26 June 2016 - 07:15 PM.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,139 posts

A fighter is just a cruise missile with really sophisticated guidance.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

cut down your bullets

The last thing that stopped bullets was Pixy, and I don't think repeating that is a very good idea. I mean sure, it's good for difficulty, but it's also complete bullshit.

FoxHoundElite

FoxHoundElite

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Plane:EA-18G Growler

It probably won't exist, because regular CIWS has never existed in Ace Combat except for ACAH iirc. 

Osea's Phalanx CIWS in Ace Combat 5, Mission 3 isn't counted?

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,139 posts

Osea's Phalanx CIWS in Ace Combat 5, Mission 3 isn't counted?

I meant as a game mechanic. Pardon me for not being clearer.

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

The lasers on MD3/4 in ACI work alright. They may as well just reuse that idea.

It'd be a good way of making the turrets on ships relevant for something instead of just being the annoying things that make targetting the ship itself hard.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users