Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Kono/PA Don't Want To Do Trench/Tunnel Run Missions Anymore, But Feel Obligated To Put Them in AC7 Because of AC Fans

63 replies to this topic

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

http://www.9lives.be...r-kazutoki-kono

Google Translated from Dutch:

9lives: One of the best missions in an Ace Combat game ever, the last mission from Ace Combat 4 was where you Star Wars-style flying through a tunnel. Are there any plans to create a new mission in this style?

Kono: Every time we drop such a cool mission, the development team is trying not to do it again. The fans continue to ask for it and who are we to these questions next to us to resign? And so whenever we come back with a mission like the one you mention. For Ace Combat 7 we will therefore probably have to do it again.

So, thanks AC Fans. Hope you enjoy your fucking AC5 Remake.

Edited by Scherzo, 21 June 2016 - 07:54 PM.

Hat

Hat

nyoom~

• Members
  • 4,675 posts
  • Squad:8.5AD
  • Plane:CH-47D Chinook

MaEF6f2.png

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,784 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

Yeah, it must be hard coming up with new ways to do the same thing. I dunno though, I don't mind them. There's far more pressing concerns, at any rate.

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack

does anyone actually speak dutch here so they can confirm this is what's actually being said?

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

It must be terrible to feel like you have to constantly do the same things. We should encourage them to branch out and include helicopter/bomber/AC130 missions as a change from the same old things that have been in previous games.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

Clearly the solution is to make a space tunnel mission.

The_Gemini_Thunder

The_Gemini_Thunder

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified

Not much of a big deal to me though I could understand being tired of it (Its becoming repetitive). Though its should be a matter of whether or not it is going to be the last mission in the game, that would make it worse. If they are going to do that then the should work it into a mission that's like half way through the game or something. I feel like the final mission should be something more. Something that is epic and memorable in its own way, like for example the final dogfight in ACZ between Cipher and Pixy. From squad-mates, to buddies, to rivals and enemies (especially Pixy showing up in the Morgan with its powerful weapons, firing a V2, and owning PJ like that ) that was the best IMO.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

Clearly the solution is to make a space tunnel mission.

Congratulations, you've just made Airforce Delta Strike.

Yeah, it must be hard coming up with new ways to do the same thing. I dunno though, I don't mind them. There's far more pressing concerns, at any rate.

I don't mind them; but it's more than a little disheartening to hear they keep putting them in because they feel they need to. I think it speaks to environmental problems PA may have; feeling that they need to serve expectations of AC fans instead of pursuing things they find genuinely compelling.

It must be terrible to feel like you have to constantly do the same things. We should encourage them to branch out and include helicopter/bomber/AC130 missions as a change from the same old things that have been in previous games.

That's a false dichotomy and you know it.

Edited by Scherzo, 19 June 2016 - 10:05 PM.

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Tunnels are generic enough that there shouldn't really be much of a problem including them though. There's still room to work with to make them interesting in different ways.

If tunnels were old and not enjoyable anymore then okay, they shouldn't feel forced to put them in, but they aren't anywhere near that close to wearing out their welcome. It's a good idea that the fans want. What exactly is wrong with giving the fans what they want?

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

Tunnels are generic enough that there shouldn't really be much of a problem including them though. There's still room to work with to make them interesting in different ways.

If tunnels were old and not enjoyable anymore then okay, they shouldn't feel forced to put them in, but they aren't anywhere near that close to wearing out their welcome. It's a good idea that the fans want. What exactly is wrong with giving the fans what they want?

I think they're really pat at this point, and it's an unnecessary creative burden for them to have. I sort of cringe whenever fans foist whatever restrictive idea of what a franchise 'is' on its creators. 

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,151 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

It's not that the obligation they feel is harmful, it's that they really shouldn't feel that obligation in the first place.

That said, I'm not sure that the obligation they feel isn't harmful, and at the very least, it's symbolic of the really regrettable relationship PA has with…well, us.

Speaking of Airforce Delta Strike, how much you wanna bet the tunnel mission will involve a vertical climb along the interior of the space elevator shaft? (Which was awful in Airforce Delta Strike incidentally)

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

It's not that the obligation they feel is harmful, it's that they really shouldn't feel that obligation in the first place.

That said, I'm not sure that the obligation they feel isn't harmful, and at the very least, it's symbolic of the really regrettable relationship PA has with…well, us.

I meant it in both sense; in general I don't think it's good for fans perceptions of what is 'essential' to a series identity weigh too heavily on a creators decision making, and in particular this is a worn-out trope that began as a harmless Star Wars homage (Which in turn was an homage itself to WWII Fighter movies).

Speaking of Airforce Delta Strike, how much you wanna bet the tunnel mission will involve a vertical climb along the interior of the space elevator shaft? (Which was awful in Airforce Delta Strike incidentally)

I think it's more likely you'll be launched into space through it, ala Ace Combat 3. I mean hey, CoD has you flying from the ground to space this year, why not Ace Combat?

Also curious, is Airforce Delta Strike a 'So Bad It's Good' game in your opinion Nemo? I've seen videos of missions on Youtube and man alive it has to be the stupidest looking air combat game I have ever seen. Like the very worst Ace Combat reject mission designs I have ever seen. I'm somewhat interested in checking it out.

Edited by Scherzo, 20 June 2016 - 12:14 AM.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Maybe instead of making tunnels a corridor there should be a network of tunnels that serves as the entire map. As in, somewhat reminiscent of Descent except not hell for non-VTOLs.

However, I wouldn't mind if there are no tunnels provided that PA finds a new way to spice things up.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

Maybe instead of making tunnels a corridor there should be a network of tunnels that serves as the entire map. As in, somewhat reminiscent of Descent except not hell for non-VTOLs.

However, I wouldn't mind if there are no tunnels provided that PA finds a new way to spice things up.

>network of tunnels that serve as the entire map

So basically AC5's canyon mission but tunnels. That could be interesting.

And yeah, I don't mind not having tunnel missions, but it would be nice, since as much as Scherzo seems to dislike the idea tunnels are a very Ace Combat thing for an Ace Combat game to have. It doesn't even have to be a plot-centric one, it could just be a find-able one on one of the maps with a few bonus enemies in it.

Ace of Maces

Ace of Maces

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Plane:MiG-31M Foxhound-B

Fuck tunnels, just give me huge dogfights.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Fuck tunnels, just give me huge dogfights.

Hopefully huge dogfights that are not interrupted by allied AI.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,182 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat
Tunnel missions are literal cancer. They're always the lowest point of the game.

Never change, AC fans.

I WANT MY FLANKERSHITS TO BE SUPER MANEUVERABLE AND I WANT FLY IT IN A STRAIGHT LINE THROUGH A TUNNEL BECAUSE I AM A DUMB DUMB.

Edited by Skope Hogan, 20 June 2016 - 10:27 PM.

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Trying to hit max speed on Tunnel Vision was pretty fun though.

They should just put Tunnel Vision in AC7. Like 95% of the playerbase thinks AC4 was the first game in the series, so it's not like they'd recognise it.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,151 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Or they could pull a Sky Odyssey.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

Trying to hit max speed on Tunnel Vision was pretty fun though.
They should just put Tunnel Vision in AC7. Like 95% of the playerbase thinks AC4 was the first game in the series, so it's not like they'd recognise it.

I mean, tunnels and trench rums have always been part of AC since 1, but that isn't really an argument for why they should continue to be.

The Saint Ark Geofront is pretty cool though. It'd probably be under construction by the time of AC7, though I kind of have doubts whether AC3 will be overtly referenced.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users