Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Kono talks about VR

12 replies to this topic

Dolemite

Dolemite

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Plane:F-35C Lightning II

http://www.playstati...playstation-vr/

For the VR part, what can fans expect that will be special, and what are the key features of the virtual reality version?

Kono: For the PlayStation VR, the users can experience what it’s like to be inside the real cockpit. We’re still making the cockpit part, but afterwards, users are able to see freely around themselves inside the cockpit. They will need to think about how to take down enemies while looking behind them, and react on the fly.

VR is a 360 degree cockpit.

Ace Combat has finally achieved the camera abilities of IL-2.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

I'm really curios about what would happen if your cockpit is hit by a laser when the headset is on. Would they just not show the light or would it be blindingly bright?

FoxHoundElite

FoxHoundElite

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Plane:EA-18G Growler

I'm really curios about what would happen if your cockpit is hit by a laser when the headset is on. Would they just not show the light or would it be blindingly bright?

that would be like being hit by a flashbang right?

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack

t0p improvement

leave it to kono to think up shitty gimmicks.

They will need to think about how to take down enemies while looking behind them, and react on the fly.

kono: "I have no idea what I'm talking about"

wow, it's like this hasn't been a thing ever since AC2

Edited by Kaiten Sushi-kun, 30 December 2015 - 01:09 PM.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

It would be an improvement... were it not for the fact that every target is displayed at a certain range anyway. In IL-2 it makes sense as a small pixel can either be an ally needing cover or an enemy in the distance, while DCS still has its limits in terms of target acquisition.

FoxHoundElite

FoxHoundElite

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

It would be an improvement... were it not for the fact that every target is displayed at a certain range anyway.

Now you mentioned it,in AC7 trailer i didnt see the range indicator below the lock on box

vlcsnap-2015-12-06-16h18m21s983_zpszunfc

They could scrap it or add it later,but i prefer the first choice,it will make players have to pay attention to the cockpit's instrument to know the range to the target

OmegaEGG

OmegaEGG

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

Now you mentioned it,in AC7 trailer i didnt see the range indicator below the lock on box

They could scrap it or add it later,but i prefer the first choice,it will make players have to pay attention to the cockpit's instrument to know the range to the target

Well, now that you've said it, it actually makes me wonder if aircraft with helmet-mounted displays (such as the F-35) have a range finder built into the HMD. Perhaps it will only be able for some very few aircraft, particularly those with HMDs.

Edited by OmegaEGG, 31 December 2015 - 02:17 AM.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
  • Plane:E-767

I don't think that's reflective of what the game's HUD will look like. The HUD in the trailer appears to be created separate from 3D environment, and composited in a video editor. The Flanker's designation is in one shot, and not in this one. Additionally, the pitch ladder doesn't line up with the horizon. And the degrees on the compass should not read "165" when the plane is facing NE, which should read around "45". So, some guy animated the HUD manually, but didn't want to add in a fake rangefinder because it probably would've been too much work.

amk9puZ.png

edit: It appears the compass actually reads "W | [degrees] | E", in which case, it should be reading values close to 360 or 000, not 160 which is almost in the opposite direction.

FoxHoundElite

FoxHoundElite

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

I don't think that's reflective of what the game's HUD will look like. The HUD in the trailer appears to be created separate from 3D environment, and composited in a video editor. The Flanker's designation is in one shot, and not in this one. Additionally, the pitch ladder doesn't line up with the horizon. And the degrees on the compass should not read "165" when the plane is facing NE, which should read around "45". So, some guy animated the HUD manually, but didn't want to add in a fake rangefinder because it probably would've been too much work.

amk9puZ.png

edit: It appears the compass actually reads "W | [degrees] | E", in which case, it should be reading values close to 360 or 000, not 160 which is almost in the opposite direction.

good observation, this game is pretty much in early stage so they may add other function later

Strike Commander

Strike Commander

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle

So if VR is all about looking around the cockpit, would they still be able to have a third person view?

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

So if VR is all about looking around the cockpit, would they still be able to have a third person view?

Of course. I can't imagine how you'd play in 3rd person with a vr headset on though.

Edited by Aquavolt, 31 December 2015 - 05:17 PM.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,192 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

It would be an improvement... were it not for the fact that every target is displayed at a certain range anyway. In IL-2 it makes sense as a small pixel can either be an ally needing cover or an enemy in the distance, while DCS still has its limits in terms of target acquisition.

DCS has that now, too.

But still, I see little purpose for this in an Ace Combat.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

DCS has that now, too.

But still, I see little purpose for this in an Ace Combat.

I think all Kono's really saying is "feeling like you're really inside a plane's cockpit is fucking rad".

Tbh, what I really wanna know is what they'll be doing for the sound design of VR. That's what'll make or break it for me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users