Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AC7 Plot/story speculation (Spoiler alert)

123 replies to this topic

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

Was there a lot of fan speculation about the 5 and Zero stuff though? I feel there's more thematic meat on the trailers bones than even AC5 or Z, which were the most 'political' of previous ACs. It's so far not framing a particularly coherent narrative, but there seems to be a lot of building blocks on display wrt what AC7 is about that seem more ambitious than AC5's "This War is a Lie" or ACZ's "War is Hell but Seemingly Inevitable". At least from my perspective at anyrate.

I think boiling it down to 'it's different perspectives' though misses 'why the Spare Squadron' question. Unless it's just something there to be edgelord, I feel it's most obvious thematic purpose is to talk about how wars are fought, often necessitating the sacrifice of others. Kono in that UCAV section talks about how the UCAVs have no survival instinct which allows them to do things normal pilots wouldn't. And from the Yinshi Valley mission, and related dialogue from the psx '16 trailer, it seems like Spare has been forced into that role with only Trigger really taking to it. So what stands out to me is the way that war demands the sacrifice of others.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,172 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Was there a lot of fan speculation about the 5 and Zero stuff though? I feel there's more thematic meat on the trailers bones than even AC5 or Z, which were the most 'political' of previous ACs. It's so far not framing a particularly coherent narrative, but there seems to be a lot of building blocks on display wrt what AC7 is about that seem more ambitious than AC5's "This War is a Lie" or ACZ's "War is Hell but Seemingly Inevitable". At least from my perspective at anyrate.

Well, do the legwork then. What am I missing? Go shot by shot.

I think boiling it down to 'it's different perspectives' though misses 'why the Spare Squadron' question. Unless it's just something there to be edgelord, I feel it's most obvious thematic purpose is to talk about how wars are fought, often necessitating the sacrifice of others. Kono in that UCAV section talks about how the UCAVs have no survival instinct which allows them to do things normal pilots wouldn't. And from the Yinshi Valley mission, and related dialogue from the psx '16 trailer, it seems like Spare has been forced into that role with only Trigger really taking to it. So what stands out to me is the way that war demands the sacrifice of others.

Why Spare Squadron? Could be because Katabuchi and Kono want the perspective of people who are alienated from the Osean narrative. Could be because they want to make a comment about "who fights wars." Could be because they wanted a squadron of vibrant characters who are at liberty to shoot their mouths off but didn't want to go the mercenary route. Could be something elaborate, like "Osea relied on UAVs like you suggest and now the role of pilot of a manned craft is something given to a penal squadron," tying into the "manned versus UAV" thing. Could be any combination of those things, and more. Asking "why Spare Squadron" invites as many answers as creativity allows, unless we have some heavy duty razor for eliminating all other possibilities from likelihood. I personally don't believe we do yet.

Warlord6

Warlord6

Rookie

• Members
  • 11 posts

So going over a lot of the recent released materials, as well as using them to recontexualize previously released info as well, I've sort of pieced together my speculation about the setup for AC7, as well as what I think the themes of the game will be. Be forewarned, this is *very* speculaive

Setup

• Osea, after permanently codifying the Detente with Yuktobania following the Circum pacific War, reasserts its position as global stabilizer and protector, often under the auspices of the IUN. The ISEV is constructed as a realization of the international  space station project outlined at he G7 2008, ostensibly to support Usea with rebuilding its infrastructure following Ulysses and the Continental War.
  • Constraining Osea's capacity to maintain its world policeman role, however, is the growing war weariness of the Osean people. Growing increasingly risk averse, the Osean Military begins to invest substantially in unmanned combat systems to supplant human soldiers and pilots. By the end of the 2010's drones have become a core pillar of Osean defense posturing, while maintaining basing all over the world.
  • Meanwhile, Erusea, reconstituted as a Kingdom presumably by ISAF, chaffs against the new world order imposed on it by Osea and the FCU, and elements within the country began to desire to break free of their yoke. These Nationalists use the princess, who was raised in exile before her family was restored to the throne, to advocate a nationalist and anti globalist message, and bring like minded Western Usean states into their fold. These Erusean Nationalists seek to capture the ISEV in order to gain a monopoly over space infrastructure, as a means to restore their national greatness.
  • Upon the completion of the space elevator, Erusea launches a simultaneous conventional and cyber-attack, gaining control of the ISEV as well as all of Oseas drones. The extent of the cyber-attack is purely speculative, it could be just the drones or it could also be Osean  air defenses as well, allowing the mass attacks on Osean ports. An alternative though would be to have the hacked drones detonate their payloads, crippling the carriers internally. At any rate, a cyber-attack mixed with Osean reliance on UCAVs would explain why, for example, the Albatross's air wing was 'lost'.
  • Osean forces, as part of the IUN mission, attempt to seize control of the ISEV, which, and this is really speculative, might be the key to regaining control of the Osean drones. At some point in this campaign, Trigger is involved in some catastrophic incident, and the initial campaign to seize the elevator is a failure.
  • As punishment, Trigger is reassigned to a squadron of 'difficult' pilots who would otherwise be court martialed. Initially an 'out of sight, out of mind' outfit for disgraced pilots Osea doesn't want to air its dirty laundry over, the squadron is repurposed in to a makeshift 'penal battalion',  assigned dangerous missions without any hope of leave or recognition as a replacement for their UCAVs as 'expendable aircraft'.
  • During all this, EASA scientists attempt to improve the AI of their new drone fleet through studying Mihaly's maneuvers. To take advantage of what the drone is capable of, though, Mihaly is subjected to Gs far in excess of what a human can withstand, and the stress is slowly killing him.

Themes

I think broadly the questions that AC7 is likely to raise fall into two categories, Why war are fought and How wars are fought. The why is a question I've been thinking about ever since it was implied in screenshots that Osea was utilizing otherseas bases, and the E3 and Gamescom trailers have only strengthened my suspicions. It definitely seems to be going for a globalism versus nationalism angle, which is something AC has touched upon in different ways since AC5. It's too early to say what 'exactly' it has to say about the issue, but it seems like it will be critical of both nationalists and internationalists.

What's really taken up my mind lately is the 'How' question, as it ties together nicely UCAVs, the 444th, Mihaly, and Princess D'elise. There seems to be a theme developing around what does it mean to fight for someone else, or to make someone fight in your place. UCAVs exist to make more war more palpable to your side, but that abstraction come with costs.  The 444th our victims of the mentality of getting someone else to fight the war, which to most of Spare squadron seems to be an absurdity. On the other side, we see D'elise conflicted over her warmongering as Mihaly literally destroys his body for the sake of the AI weapon systems that will make him obsolete. Sacrifice is a theme often associated with war, but what does it really mean?

I think the intersection of the abstract reasons 'why we fight' with the reality of what fighting a war actually means is fertile ground for AC to cover. These obviously aren't wholly new themes, AC itself has touched on them before, but it sounds like the thrust of the game will dig deeper into the complexities of war previous ACs have only hinted at.

Honestly my only concern is the extent to which Bandog represents the Oseans as a whole. I think there's a nice contrast between his sociopathy and the relative normalcy of the other Osean pilots, but I just hope we get to see more Reasonable Authority Figures on the Osean side.

Granted this is all speculative, but great detective work.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

@Nemo, on the first part all I'm really saying is I think the trailer is hinting at I D E A S in a way most previous AC trailers have not. On the latter... frankly the way I spell it out is honestly almost certainly not how AC7 will specifically frame the issues because it's obviously idiosyncratic of how I would break it down. In a more general sense there seems to be an interplay between nations at war and individuals at war, though obviously I feel like I've left out the angle of technological process as an element driving action outside of whatever Osea and Erusea <or their peoples> intend for the war to be.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users