Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ITT Drawfag translates new AC7 interview

65 replies to this topic

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack

While kulbits and cobras are basically useless in real world air combat where actual physics and BVR would apply, I see no actual problem with it being present in single player Ace Combat. It would be really handy tool to end the circlejerks since you can break up the fight with it. Sure, Yellows could do cobras and were magnificently shot down by the player whenever they do it, but AIs are programmed to be stupid.

OmegaEGG

OmegaEGG

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

While kulbits and cobras are basically useless in real world air combat where actual physics and BVR would apply, I see no actual problem with it being present in single player Ace Combat. It would be really handy tool to end the circlejerks since you can break up the fight with it. Sure, Yellows could do cobras and were magnificently shot down by the player whenever they do it, but AIs are programmed to be stupid.

Nah, they're just not Markov, who has mastered the art of super maneuverability. Or Sulejmani, who has made his own moveset called "Sulejmaneuvers".

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

You can pretty much do what real planes can do already though? I get that you can't do cobras or kulbits properly in game and they're really cool and stuff, but when you put multiplayer in consideration, it could be pretty broken.

By making it only possible within a certain period of time when stalling and with the addition of missiles that do not suck, it would actually work. I find AC 3's Berkut to be a glorious example. That thing can turn with a Geopelia or an Aurora, but the speed loss is just intense to the point of hit and run tactics not being reliable with the Su-47. This was a plane I expected to be a little too dominant due to previous experiences with other Ace Combat games, but it blew my mind on how strangely complex it could potentially turn out to be. Ace Combat 3's missiles also fly towards where the target will be headed instead of the current position, so one of the tactics used most frequently is providing an angle that the missile will never reach in the first place instead of simply evading at the last minute. Evading at the last minute gets you killed there, and if someone fires a missile right at your six, you might as well fly in a straight line and accept the damage.

This depth made it the hardest plane out of the endgame trio to master because the speed loss can kill you big time. However, ever since then all aircraft based on turn rate do not have a speed loss problem. I can see it most due to Ace Combat 5, which possibly killed off the last of the game's depth.

cegc135

cegc135

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Squad:Azure Squadron, NEU Official Elite Response Unit
  • Plane:R-101 Delphinus I

By making it only possible within a certain period of time when stalling and with the addition of missiles that do not suck, it would actually work. I find AC 3's Berkut to be a glorious example. That thing can turn with a Geopelia or an Aurora, but the speed loss is just intense to the point of hit and run tactics not being reliable with the Su-47. This was a plane I expected to be a little too dominant due to previous experiences with other Ace Combat games, but it blew my mind on how strangely complex it could potentially turn out to be. Ace Combat 3's missiles also fly towards where the target will be headed instead of the current position, so one of the tactics used most frequently is providing an angle that the missile will never reach in the first place instead of simply evading at the last minute. Evading at the last minute gets you killed there, and if someone fires a missile right at your six, you might as well fly in a straight line and accept the damage.

This depth made it the hardest plane out of the endgame trio to master because the speed loss can kill you big time. However, ever since then all aircraft based on turn rate do not have a speed loss problem. I can see it most due to Ace Combat 5, which possibly killed off the last of the game's depth.

This is one the aspects I loved about ACE3, even at full afterburner, if you pull hard on the stick, you'll bleed speed... you know, like in real life? If you fly at a high AOA, even with full afterburner, you'll lose speed at different rates depending on angle and aircraft capabilities, and there was a certain amount of drifting, especially at lower speeds, in ACE3 that somewhat mimics real life physics, something that was lost in following installments (except Assault Horizon's CFA-44).

For all intents and purposes, Project ACES (or just Namco at the time) really went for more simulation-like physics and approach in the japanese ACE3 that allowed you to get a little more creative and forced you to fly most aircraft differently (the export releases have a more notably decreased and arcade roll rate and drift). As Hue said, try controlling the Su-43, you'll find it quite difficult compared to Infinity's physics (or any subsequent titles). This approach wasn't as present in ACE2 and finally died in ACE04. ACE3 was far more challenging as your aircraft capabilities could also seriously dampen your performance if you don't learn to fly it and start pulling random maneuvers and shooting indiscriminately, and don't get me started on the missiles, those would give you a harder time evading them than latter installments.

And Vector Thrust has this AOA Limiter feature that once you turn it off (at will mind you), you can go bananas with your aircraft and pull a legitimate kulbit on most Flankers, F-22s and other super maneuverable aircraft, as well as whatever maneuvers you want, but at the cost of causing stress on the airframe and gradually getting damage. Ace Combat would benefit greatly from a feature like this.

Edited by cegc135, 01 February 2016 - 02:37 PM.

falconkpd

falconkpd

Rookie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Plane:XFA-27
Is it bad that I kinda liked Joint Assault's over the top tropeyness?

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

Is it bad that I kinda liked Joint Assault's over the top tropeyness?

Yes. But JA had far worse issues than that so eh.

edit: mfw I said "AH" instead of JA, not freudian slip or anything

Edited by PositronCannon, 12 February 2016 - 09:35 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users