Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New Famitsu Interview (12/17)

50 replies to this topic

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

New Famitsu Article up, with a couple new screens of the 'Lighthouse'

From a google translation of a Polish news write up of the interview, seems to be a few tidbits of information, so if any weebs wanna take a crack at it, by all means. (Something about two-seaters and how returning to SR is kind of nostalgic for the writer)

anywho the new shots; not much really:

l_566ab1f90d0b6.jpg

l_566ab1f914d79.jpg

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

That will be fun to fly through/around.

I wonder if it will be possible to enter the elevator shaft.

cegc135

cegc135

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Squad:Azure Squadron, NEU Official Elite Response Unit
  • Plane:R-101 Delphinus I

That will be fun to fly through/around.

I wonder if it will be possible to enter the elevator shaft.

That'd be one long tunnel mission with a deadly outcome.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
  • Plane:E-767

That'd be one long tunnel mission with a deadly outcome.

1. Shoot a hole into the elevator
  2. Fly up shaft to destroy target at the top
  3. Destroy target at the top
  4. Fly back down the shaft while it collapses behind you

cegc135

cegc135

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Squad:Azure Squadron, NEU Official Elite Response Unit
  • Plane:R-101 Delphinus I

1. Shoot a hole into the elevator
  2. Fly up shaft to destroy target at the top
  3. Destroy target at the top
  4. Fly back down the shaft while it collapses behind you

The problem with the first three is that the top is in space.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

Apparently some new information from this interview is that ACZ and ACI's (wat) writer, Kosuke Itomi, will also be a writer on the project along with Katabuchi. It astounds me that the people who wrote AC04 and ACZ also wrote AC5 and ACI. That's a hella mixed record.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
  • Plane:E-767

The problem with the first three is that the top is in space.

The inside could still be pressurized with air. Lots of air. It makes as much sense as a gigantic cannon that shoots shells loaded with cruise missiles.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

Another bit that's been translated is that the scenario of the game is complete, so now the focus is on content creation.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,819 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

Apparently some new information from this interview is that ACZ and ACI's (wat) writer, Kosuke Itomi, will also be a writer on the project along with Katabuchi. It astounds me that the people who wrote AC04 and ACZ also wrote AC5 and ACI. That's a hella mixed record.

All 'bout dat direction bro. This is Kono directing again so enjoy your derp, etc.

Natsuki Isaki and Naoto Maeda da bes.

Edit: and of course this always comes up when I google to confirm people are who I remember they are.

I'm worried that in the future when Ace Combat 7 comes out, users will say, "I'm still enjoying 6 so I can't buy 7 yet!

I guess he didn't expect it to take 9+ years. I'm still playing 6 tho, not much choice when they've only released crap since then.

Edited by PositronCannon, 16 December 2015 - 07:56 PM.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

All 'bout dat direction bro. This is Kono directing again so enjoy your derp, etc.

Natsuki Isaki and Naoto Maeda da bes.

Uh well, Isaki is the one who actually directed ACI/AH, so....

I wonder what Maeda has been up to though, has he had any recent credits on AC games?

OmegaEGG

OmegaEGG

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk
Edit: and of course this always comes up when I google to confirm people are who I remember they are.
Ace Combat 6 will have planes!

Perhaps the most memorable line in that interview.

Edited by OmegaEGG, 16 December 2015 - 08:47 PM.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

Plus you know, AC6 has a really mediocre story itself.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Uh well, Isaki is the one who actually directed ACI/AH, so....

ACI, yeah, but AH's overall director was Kono. Isaki is credited as "game design director", though that's not much better. Still, I'm willing to forgive after AC6. And it's obvious you don't go from AC6's design to AH's without someone else forcing your hand (whether it be the director or the publisher, latter being more likely in this case). ACI was fine from a purely gameplay perspective too, its one problem (of those that actually matter, so not story or setting, huehue) is the terrible F2P model and forced multiplayer.

Plus you know, AC6 has a really mediocre story itself.

Sure, but I can value when priority is placed on gameplay over story. I think the director would have a noticeable impact on that, and Kono specifically has been shown to do the opposite in the two games he's directed so far. Doesn't exactly set a good precedent.

Also yeah, both Naoto Maeda (ACZ director) and Hiroyuki Ichiyanagi (AC04 director and producer of most AC games since) seem to have vanished after AH, from what I can tell. PA WAS GUTTED]

Okay I gotta stop making edits. But honestly, thinking on it I probably shouldn't be so hard on Kono considering he's probably the main reason why AC still exists at all, given that he was ACI's producer (read: the guy who actually convinces the publisher to fund a game) and it's probably safe to assume that ACI was at least a big part of the reason why AC7 is a thing at all. But then again, if AC7 ends up being a turd I'm gonna wish he'd just let it die back then. So, yeah.

Edited by PositronCannon, 16 December 2015 - 10:39 PM.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

But then again, if AC7 ends up being a turd I'm gonna wish he'd just let it die back then. So, yeah.

There's a lot on the line here. I don't believe that PA would fuck this game up.

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

There was a lot on the line when they made AH. Remember how that went?

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

ACI, yeah, but AH's overall director was Kono. Isaki is credited as "game design director", though that's not much better. Still, I'm willing to forgive after AC6. And it's obvious you don't go from AC6's design to AH's without someone else forcing your hand (whether it be the director or the publisher, latter being more likely in this case). ACI was fine from a purely gameplay perspective too, its one problem (of those that actually matter, so not story or setting, huehue) is the terrible F2P model and forced multiplayer.

I'm kinda being snarky; I don't really hold ACI's story being shit against PA because I think it was obvious that wasn't a priority for them. I do think though the whole enterprise has a pretty cynical bent; hook fanboys into a F2P cycle by lazily pandering to their nostalgia.

Sure, but I can value when priority is placed on gameplay over story. I think the director would have a noticeable impact on that, and Kono specifically has been shown to do the opposite in the two games he's directed so far. Doesn't exactly set a good precedent.

I don't really think story/setting and gameplay should be viewed as diametrically opposed to each other; each should feed back into one another. I agree with Nemo about AC5's production being rushed being the reason for why it feels so half-baked (and I feel a similar argument could be made for ACAH). I think it's clear characters like Grimm and Nagase were supposed to have more definite character arcs, but ended up getting lost in the shuffle. But at any rate I think it's rather unfair to say gameplay was sacrificed specifically for story (It's more likely production issues negatively impacted both story and gameplay). OTOH, AC6's lackluster presentation is one of the big reasons it doesn't reach the heights of AC04/ACZ to me.

Okay I gotta stop making edits. But honestly, thinking on it I probably shouldn't be so hard on Kono considering he's probably the main reason why AC still exists at all, given that he was ACI's producer (read: the guy who actually convinces the publisher to fund a game) and it's probably safe to assume that ACI was at least a big part of the reason why AC7 is a thing at all. But then again, if AC7 ends up being a turd I'm gonna wish he'd just let it die back then. So, yeah.

I think Kono has interesting ideas that just need to be reigned in a bit before they get too far along. AC5 definitely suffered from that, and I have an inkling AH did too (also taking a weeb franchise and trying to make it appeal to CoD Fanboys maaaaay not be the smartest idea, but I think Namdai corporate is mainly to blame for that).

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Hey, stop talking shit about ACI's story, ACI's story is fine. It probably woulda been one of the better AC stories if they'd actually finished it. Or maybe it would have turned stupid like 0 does towards the end, I don't know. Kinda hard to say I guess.

Edited by Brain Golem, 16 December 2015 - 11:09 PM.

Cobalt_Wild

Cobalt_Wild

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Plane:F-2A Viper Zero

Well, this shoots my theory about 7 being a continuation of Infinity's campaign. Honestly, I would've been fine with that, but I guess there is reason to try and appease everyone out there who thinks Strangereal is the only way Ace Combat can be good. Now I need a different explanation for the American F-18s in the screenshots.

Either way, much as I'm into good storytelling in games, I don't hold it as a priority in Ace Combat. It would be pretty nice if we could avoid the usual 'bad nation rolls up good nation using superweapon, ace pilot rolls up bad nation right back while destroying superweapon, then he has to destroy a different superweapon' structure we saw in 04, X, and 6. 5 tried to do too much in too little time and came off as hokey and incomplete. Zero did get a bit odd near the end, but it's still my favorite story in any AC game so far, as it revolves more around specific pilots rather than the circumstances of the war they fought in. As it is, I still don't think we have enough information to do any meaningful speculation on 7's story. I'm anticipating some AC7 event in Infinity sometime after the New Year event coinciding with an AC7 infodump. Then we can get some activity in this sub-forum.

Edited by Cobalt_Wild, 16 December 2015 - 11:27 PM.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

I don't really think story/setting and gameplay should be viewed as diametrically opposed to each other; each should feed back into one another. I agree with Nemo about AC5's production being rushed being the reason for why it feels so half-baked (and I feel a similar argument could be made for ACAH). I think it's clear characters like Grimm and Nagase were supposed to have more definite character arcs, but ended up getting lost in the shuffle. But at any rate I think it's rather unfair to say gameplay was sacrificed specifically for story (It's more likely production issues negatively impacted both story and gameplay). OTOH, AC6's lackluster presentation is one of the big reasons it doesn't reach the heights of AC04/ACZ to me.

I dunno. It's just the trend I keep seeing in games in general, not just AC. AC04 and ACZ worked well for me because they generally stuck with telling the bulk of the story through cutscenes (whether FMVs or in-engine), so there's a pretty clear separation that avoids storytelling negatively impacting replayability. Though yeah, that wasn't AC5's (nevermind AH's) only issue in terms of gameplay, there was also an obvious element of "our players are bad and dumb", so there's that too. I mean hell, I'd expect AC6 of all games to have that issue considering the sudden platform change (expected influx of new players to the franchise, etc), yet it most definitely did not hold anything back, as it shouldn't (it just gave you optional tools to make the game easier if you need it).

Edited by PositronCannon, 16 December 2015 - 11:31 PM.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,843 posts

I dunno. It's just the trend I keep seeing in games in general, not just AC. AC04 and ACZ worked well for me because they generally stuck with telling the bulk of the story through cutscenes (whether FMVs or in-engine), so there's a pretty clear separation that avoids storytelling negatively impacting replayability. Though yeah, that wasn't AC5's (nevermind AH's) only issue in terms of gameplay, there was also an obvious element of "our players are bad and dumb", so there's that too. I mean hell, I'd expect AC6 of all games to have that issue considering the sudden platform change, yet it most definitely did not hold anything back, as it shouldn't.

Eh, gameplay-Story integration is something games in general should try to achieve, and I'd say ACZ generally does a good job about it (as well as AC04 in its own way). I think it's not a zero sum game, and I think AC5/AH had discrete design failings that weren't "we want to tell a story in our missions" (I think AH actually did good job balancing giving you shit to do while having story beats in missions; the problem was having to design encounters almost exclusively for CRA).  And while I admire the scope of AC6, I think the sub-operations approach lead to a lot of the missions feel same-y and kinda overly bloated. That's my opinion at any rate; obviously you disagree.

At any rate, Kono's said one of the core tenets of AC7 is the exhiliration of freely controlling an aircraft without 'push button finishers', so I feel we should take him on his word for it.

I wanna be clear, I don't expect AC7 to be a master-class in writing or anything; but AC at it's best has been great about contextualizing actions in a way that convey a sort of meaning to the player, imo. Even though I don't think it holds up well, even AC5 did that to me as a thirteen year old.

Edited by Scherzo, 16 December 2015 - 11:50 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users