Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Are you feeling AC7's reveal?

109 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you feeling AC7's Reveal? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you feeling AC7's Reveal?

1. Hell yeah! (34 votes [41.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.98%

2. Yeah, mostly (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

3. Kinda sorta (15 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Not really (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

5. It's fucking garbage (4 votes [4.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

I wasn't a fan of the trailer. That was all pre-rendered though. The flight looked rather terrible. Ace Combat never had realistic flight but gave a good, respectable impression of it. Playing AC4 if you were at top speed and wanted to slow down it would take time. It wasn't instant. Going from HAWX to AC4 I started over shooting enemies because of the deceleration time. Silly turn on a time mechanics were not in the game. Of course this changed with AH. Lets hope the AC6 flight mechanics come back and the non-hold your hand mission design from 4 and Zero return.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. It was captured in engine, that's why it's rendered at 60fps.

I agree that parts of the flight don't look that hot though. Mentioned in the other thread how the Flanker jerks backward even before the qaam explodes.

Edited by Scherzo, 06 December 2015 - 03:12 PM.

griffon_one

griffon_one

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

I'm cautiously optimistic. Trailer wasn't fantastic but it's good to see the franchise not dead (In the sense that we are getting a mainline game). I have a feeling this trailer was put together fast for PSX to give Sony a PSVR announcement. I hope they will put more information out soon, some details about gameplay would be nice.  

I had the feeling this trailer was hastily made too. And did anyone think the vocals were computer generated?

Flogger23m

Flogger23m

Rookie

• Members
  • 49 posts

Unfortunately, that's not the case. It was captured in engine, that's why it's rendered at 60fps.

I agree that parts of the flight don't look that hot though. Mentioned in the other thread how the Flanker jerks backward even before the qaam explodes.

No doubt it was captured in engine but it wasn't gameplay. It will look nothing like that in game. Even the few screen shots released already look absolutely nothing like the trailer. The assets like 3D models will likely not be used in real time gameplay. In engine simply means it was rendered in Unreal Engine 4. It can produce amazing graphics that won't be playable on the highest end PCs for years. Even the screen shots are up scaled to 4K which the PS4, let alone most gaming PCs, can't handle.

I am surprised they are using UE4. I didn't think it would be able to handle the large map sizes. I hope we see large maps like in the PS2 games. Assault Horizon scaled map sizes back overall. Even if lots of areas are empty we need that for large scale battles.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts
Well yeah obviously they probably were rigged, but I'm saying graphic lyrics it's gonna look more or less like that.

Zhoenix360

Zhoenix360

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Plane:F-16E Block 60 Falcon

I hope that if there is a flight stick bundle, there won't be a plus_minus 30 degree hardcoded deadzone for the flight stick as there have been for AC5 and AC6.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

I hope that if there is a flight stick bundle, there won't be a plus_minus 30 degree hardcoded deadzone for the flight stick as there have been for AC5 and AC6.

I never bought the flightstick so I wouldn't know

:3

Flogger23m

Flogger23m

Rookie

• Members
  • 49 posts

Well yeah obviously they probably were rigged, but I'm saying graphic lyrics it's gonna look more or less like that.

It won't, especially on PS4. It is often easy to see when trailers are not gameplay. Or are substantially modified before release. Lets take Watch Dogs, Witcher 3 and The Division as examples. The release games (or current media in The Division's case) look nothing like the initial videos.

The AC7 video looks all pre-rendered. It is just done within UE4 which doesn't really indicate anything about gameplay or how it will look. They're even up scaling the res to 4K to make it look much more crisp. We all know console games essentially have zero AA /AF and are filled with jaggies and blurriness.

4K up scaling aside, the screen shots do look nice:

ACE7_PSX_su30_01_1449344322.jpg

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts

...I'm not saying Consoles are particularly powerful vis a vis PCs, but I'm pretty sure basically all games with the slightest of production values has AA solutions. AF, on the other hand....

I guess you have a point that while it's captured in-engine according to Kono, it was almost certainly on a PC debug unit. Actually, could someone give an exact translation of that quote?

Edited by Scherzo, 06 December 2015 - 08:24 PM.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force

It won't, especially on PS4. It is often easy to see when trailers are not gameplay. Or are substantially modified before release. Lets take Watch Dogs, Witcher 3 and The Division as examples. The release games (or current media in The Division's case) look nothing like the initial videos.

The AC7 video looks all pre-rendered. It is just done within UE4 which doesn't really indicate anything about gameplay or how it will look. They're even up scaling the res to 4K to make it look much more crisp. We all know console games essentially have zero AA /AF and are filled with jaggies and blurriness.

That chromatic aberration though, especially around the exhaust. It looks like a photo of a nice photo taken with a shitty camera. Panda was right, that does look awful at full zoom.

Edited by Angelfire, 06 December 2015 - 08:30 PM.

Flogger23m

Flogger23m

Rookie

• Members
  • 49 posts

...I'm not saying Consoles are particularly powerful vis a vis PCs, but I'm pretty sure basically all games with the slightest of production values has AA solutions. AF, on the other hand....

I guess you have a point that while it's captured in-engine according to Kono, it was almost certainly on a PC debug unit. Actually, could someone give an exact translation of that quote?

I don't think it will look much like that at all. Even the clouds are very detailed. Rendered at 60 frame rates is an easy thing, but doing it in real time is another thing entirely. Another example: Far Cry 3's initial reveal vs the delivered game. The vegetation was cut roughly in half on the PC (maybe more on console?).

And the flight looks atrocious in the video. Very twitchy and scripted. If the aircraft did fly like that it seems like a pain to control with your aircraft flopping around like that. I wouldn't buy a flight game if the flight looked like that. I bought Assault Horizon once to show support on the PC, but that is the last "flight" game I buy with those mechanics. I have a feeling the actual in game flight will resemble something more along the lines of AC6, which to me was perfect.

Well that is my hope. The reveal trailer is just that - a trailer. It is early in development so we won't know how it will look until we see some solid gameplay videos.

OmegaEGG

OmegaEGG

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

I don't think it will look much like that at all. Even the clouds are very detailed. Rendered at 60 frame rates is an easy thing, but doing it in real time is another thing entirely. Another example: Far Cry 3's initial reveal vs the delivered game. The vegetation was cut roughly in half on the PC (maybe more on console?).

I present Star Wars Battlefront. As much as I dislike the lack of content of it, holy shit it looks just as good as the trailers make it out on the PS4. If only I had a PC powerful enough...

And the flight looks atrocious in the video. Very twitchy and scripted. If the aircraft did fly like that it seems like a pain to control with your aircraft flopping around like that. I wouldn't buy a flight game if the flight looked like that. I bought Assault Horizon once to show support on the PC, but that is the last "flight" game I buy with those mechanics. I have a feeling the actual in game flight will resemble something more along the lines of AC6, which to me was perfect.

Well that is my hope. The reveal trailer is just that - a trailer. It is early in development so we won't know how it will look until we see some solid gameplay videos.

Well, they were just using the engine to create the trailer. I doubt they had physics enabled at all. If anything, it was more like a tech trailer to show what PA can do with Ace Combat under the UE4 engine (with tidbits here and there regarding plot and gameplay).

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,821 posts
I guess the reason I buy it is because graphicly it doesn't look app that inpressive? The screenshots in particular are really muddy looking when y9u see them at full size.

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Rookie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Plane:Su-30 Flanker-C

Nothing can compete with nostalgia and high expectations. 

AC7, while being a return to Strangereal, has the unfortunate position of being the return to the world we all love but with the track record of a game full of recycled material (ACI), Cowadoody in the Sky (ACAH), and a n honest effort with good mechanics that just didn't live up to the luster of the PS2 ACs (AC6). 

Project Aces has been gutted, they're using the Unreal Engine for this, which has no business being used in an arcade flight sim, and all good will the fanbase had has been flushed down the drain by the last 2 releases. We won't be getting a good game. The proper resources won't be devoted to this. And nostalgia is all they have to hang their hat on. Erusea and Osea are fighting over a space elevator with a drone mothership. Whoopdie shit. 

AC7 won't be a good game. Unreal isn't suited for what the gameplay needs. And if the trailer is anything to go on (which, I hope it isn't) then firing off 6 QAAMs in one go and 8 XMAAs means that the same Macross missile spam from ACAH is there and that PA learned nothing from that debacle. 

Edited by Su-30SM SuperFlanker, 07 December 2015 - 11:30 AM.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

Project Aces has been gutted, they're using the Unreal Engine for this,

Well hold up they're using Unreal 4 for this right? What's the difference between it and the previous version?

Ace of Maces

Ace of Maces

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Plane:MiG-31M Foxhound-B

Looks like Erusia is having a shortage of WSO's.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,182 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron

Well hold up they're using Unreal 4 for this right? What's the difference between it and the previous version?

Both engines are pretty bad.

The usage of a third party engine is further indication that PA has been gutted and lacks the resources it once had.

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Rookie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Plane:Su-30 Flanker-C

Name any other arcade flight sim similar to the PS2 Ace Combats that use the Unreal engine, any version. 

I'll wait. 

Ace of Maces

Ace of Maces

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Plane:MiG-31M Foxhound-B

What was the name of the engine that was used during the PS2 trilogy?

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

Name any other arcade flight sim similar to the PS2 Ace Combats that use the Unreal engine, any version. 

I'll wait. 

Fuck if I know, all I know is that Unreal 4 is relatively new and when folks come out with new versions it generally means some shit has changed. It could very easily be shit, and probably will. But unless people know what's different a true judgement can't be made.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,182 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron

Fuck if I know, all I know is that Unreal 4 is relatively new and when folks come out with new versions it generally means some shit has changed. It could very easily be shit, and probably will. But unless people know what's different a true judgement can't be made.

Engines can be adapted to suit whatever needs, but UE4 runs like complete ass at the present and unless major changes occur? Expect a terribly optimized or ugly game.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users