Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Are you feeling AC7's reveal?

109 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you feeling AC7's Reveal? (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you feeling AC7's Reveal?

1. Hell yeah! (34 votes [41.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.98%

2. Yeah, mostly (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

3. Kinda sorta (15 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Not really (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

5. It's fucking garbage (4 votes [4.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

I think it's fair to say Ace Combat 7 is... a bit weird, to say the least. So I was wondering where people stood on the vibes their getting from it. I think I've warmed on the idea of Ace Combat 7 as I've heard more stuff, but the trailer itself is a mixed bag. I think it's too focused on showing off Strangereal weirdness and not enough on air combat fundamentals (For example, I would've saved the drone carrier for a tease at the end, and probably would've cut out the Space elevator/thing entirely). But I'm curious what all of you think? (It's aesthetics are also a tad unclear atm as well, but obviously it suffers from being capture in-game stuff)

kingkn8

kingkn8

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Squad:Lancers
  • Plane:Rafale M

To me it feels like a return AC series, after moving away from with AC HZ. I've been itching for a new AC and this looks like it will meet my needs. Glad to see no DFM so far.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,789 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

I gotta go with "not really" simply because we know nothing about the gameplay. Everything else is so secondary to me, that I can't really judge anything until we do. Like sure, Strangereal is cool and all, okay. Setting was never a big concern to me.

Dolemite

Dolemite

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Plane:F-35C Lightning II

a big four letter word comes to mind

FUCK

nah i'm just kidding the word is 

CRAP

SHIT

PISS

POOP

nah i'm just kidding the world is

GARBAGE

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,822 posts

I gotta go with "not really" simply because we know nothing about the gameplay. Everything else is so secondary to me, that I can't really judge anything until we do. Like sure, Strangereal is cool and all, okay. Setting was never a big concern to me.

Well we know that there'll, uh, be Conformal Missile Pods, which I don't think have been in the series before. 

Historically AC Reveal trailers have all been about tone though; AC5's is just shots of levels set to sad piano music and out of context VO. Even ACs that had some combat tried to set a tone. With this... I don't know what kind of tone they were trying to set. It sorta felt like having SR weirdness for the sake of having weirdness; not enough focus in showing off air combat fundamentals.

spellca

spellca

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Well I would like to see gameplay, but I'm interested from what i've seen so far. I dig the elevator 

SG-17

SG-17

Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Squad:F.E.A.F.
  • Plane:F-15S/MTD
Hell yeah. Strangereal and not a VR exclusive. As long as it comes out 1080p60fps and is traditional gameplay I am good to go. Hopefully it has good multiplayer too.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

I'm going with 'yeah mostly' because while I am hyped to fuck about this, but there's not really much to go on.

Jim

Jim

Technicolour Dreamboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Squad:Available for 2 shillings and an orange peel
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

I'm sure there's a lot of symbolic fairy tale crap that'll become more evident as time goes on, especially with regards to the chick in the space suit. Probably some princess-in-a-tower kinda shit.

Digolgrin

Digolgrin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Historically AC Reveal trailers have all been about tone though; AC5's is just shots of levels set to sad piano music and out of context VO. Even ACs that had some combat tried to set a tone. With this... I don't know what kind of tone they were trying to set. It sorta felt like having SR weirdness for the sake of having weirdness; not enough focus in showing off air combat fundamentals.

I dunno about that. I got sort of a 'Beginning of the End' feel to it; whatever time period this is set in, it's obviously right before Electrosphere, at least around the time of ACX. The spacesuit seems a bit too futuristic for it to be relatively modern day, so the 2040s can't be too far off.

Also, the Lighthouse space elevator. That clearly wasn't built until after 5.

Edited by Digolgrin, 05 December 2015 - 06:55 PM.

Orcagirl

Orcagirl

☆★ FighterjetKin ★☆

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor
Yeah I still need to get a feel! Im excited but the trailer didn't feel like ace combat- even though it had ace combat elements to it. Like for example, the teaser trailer for ACI in 2013 had that Ace combat aesthetic even though it was set in the real world.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

I'm sure there's a lot of symbolic fairy tale crap that'll become more evident as time goes on, especially with regards to the chick in the space suit. Probably some princess-in-a-tower kinda shit.

AC04 was the Book of Revelations/Christianity

AC05 was a blend of Norse mythology with some more Christianity

Zero was Arthurian legends and more Norse mythology

Don't know what 6 was.

ACX was even more Norse mythology.

Joint Assault was... Romanian mythology?

Perhaps 7 will have references to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (or Japanese mythology in general)?

Edited by Angelfire, 05 December 2015 - 09:28 PM.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,822 posts

I think you're giving PA a bit too much credit besides ACZ, Angelfire.

Flogger23m

Flogger23m

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I voted "kinda sorta".

Currently this is announced as a PS4 exclusive. I have no plans to buy a $300+ console for a single game, and then pay more to play it online. Bring it to PC and I'll be buying it. I missed AC6 because I didn't have a console and did purchase Assault Horizon on PC simply to show my support for the series. I really dispised both Assault Horizon and Infinity for the two directions those entries took. I am glad to see that 7 is shaping up to be more along the lines of 4/5/Z. But if it does not come to PC I will sadly be missing out on this one to.

All that being said I do hope a tad bit of realism is inserted into the series tactfully. The same generic missile and single special weapon choice needs to be redone. Make the loadouts more detailled (even if we have unrealistic numbers), which in turn specializes the aircraft more. An A-10 can carry more bombs than an F-18 but can only carry a small number of short range missiles for self defense. On the other hand, the F-18 brings long range air to air missiles to the fight. Now the aircraft suddenly feel much more differentiated rather than cut/pastey. And loading out your aircraft will become a thoughtful process at the start of each mission. These are the kinds of changes I'd like to see in the series.

Sequential mission based campaign, strong story, cut scenes and a fictional world just like the PS2 era games. But the gameplay needs to advance a bit. And it has to advance with unique flight game oriented concepts, not ripping shooter mechanics and shoehorning them in like Assault Horizon or making the game grind with generic fantasy RPG upgrades like Infinity. Bring in these changes and bring it to PC and I'll be extremely happy.

Although keeping the PS2 era formula intact with a good story will still get a sale and lots of excitement from me. Just bring it to PC!

ajaxle

ajaxle

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Squad:F/A
  • Plane:F-20A Tigershark

Looks as if Ace Combat 7 will be going back to the world Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.

Oh, and Ace Combat 6 delved into Hinduism and the golden god Garuda.

VR is going to be optional, ...but Strangereal is back for real.

The Gunney

The Gunney

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Squad:Looking for a squad who is well cordinated
  • Plane:MV-22B Osprey

I voted "kinda sorta".

Currently this is announced as a PS4 exclusive. I have no plans to buy a $300+ console for a single game, and then pay more to play it online. Bring it to PC and I'll be buying it. I missed AC6 because I didn't have a console and did purchase Assault Horizon on PC simply to show my support for the series. I really dispised both Assault Horizon and Infinity for the two directions those entries took. I am glad to see that 7 is shaping up to be more along the lines of 4/5/Z. But if it does not come to PC I will sadly be missing out on this one to.

All that being said I do hope a tad bit of realism is inserted into the series tactfully. The same generic missile and single special weapon choice needs to be redone. Make the loadouts more detailled (even if we have unrealistic numbers), which in turn specializes the aircraft more. An A-10 can carry more bombs than an F-18 but can only carry a small number of short range missiles for self defense. On the other hand, the F-18 brings long range air to air missiles to the fight. Now the aircraft suddenly feel much more differentiated rather than cut/pastey. And loading out your aircraft will become a thoughtful process at the start of each mission. These are the kinds of changes I'd like to see in the series.

Sequential mission based campaign, strong story, cut scenes and a fictional world just like the PS2 era games. But the gameplay needs to advance a bit. And it has to advance with unique flight game oriented concepts, not ripping shooter mechanics and shoehorning them in like Assault Horizon or making the game grind with generic fantasy RPG upgrades like Infinity. Bring in these changes and bring it to PC and I'll be extremely happy.

Although keeping the PS2 era formula intact with a good story will still get a sale and lots of excitement from me. Just bring it to PC!

I concur with the PC and raise XBOne for the sake of fans on all platforms that could handle it, but my concern with the game is the trailer feels like AH in terms of look of the flight mechanics mind you I've only seen the reveal trailer (let me know if I missed anything, please!!)

Argonaut

Argonaut

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Plane:MiG-31M Foxhound-B

It's pretty much just in typical Namco style, much to the same ends as the ACI reveal but at a slower pace, so am I surprised? No, but I would prefer a new style to things to cut away from ACI altogether really, no matter if I'm just inferring alittle too hard on similarities.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

I need to see some gameplay and world building before I'm feeling it. That trailer felt like some abstract car ad. 

Vessel28

Vessel28

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts

I'm cautiously optimistic. Trailer wasn't fantastic but it's good to see the franchise not dead (In the sense that we are getting a mainline game). I have a feeling this trailer was put together fast for PSX to give Sony a PSVR announcement. I hope they will put more information out soon, some details about gameplay would be nice.  

Flogger23m

Flogger23m

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I wasn't a fan of the trailer. That was all pre-rendered though. The flight looked rather terrible. Ace Combat never had realistic flight but gave a good, respectable impression of it. Playing AC4 if you were at top speed and wanted to slow down it would take time. It wasn't instant. Going from HAWX to AC4 I started over shooting enemies because of the deceleration time. Silly turn on a time mechanics were not in the game. Of course this changed with AH. Lets hope the AC6 flight mechanics come back and the non-hold your hand mission design from 4 and Zero return.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users