Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ace Combat 7 Trailer

hype ace combat 7 Osea F-22 SU-37 Arkbird on Steroids Bloody vogels Nostalgia Strangereal

105 replies to this topic

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Rookie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Plane:Su-30 Flanker-C

Rewatching the trailer, I'm focusing more on the music this time. 

It's very similar to that heard in AC6. It's almost as if the main themes and such have been recycled ever since then. That's just lazy. But like ACAH, the music heard in the trailer is very boring and forgettable.

ACI did the soundtrack right. Updates to old, well loved tracks fit the game of recycled material well. I would hope that AC7 takes a more creative course for the soundtrack and steps away from the themes used for the last 10 years. 

OmegaEGG

OmegaEGG

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

Rewatching the trailer, I'm focusing more on the music this time. 

It's very similar to that heard in AC5. It's almost as if the main themes and such have been recycled ever since then. That's just lazy. But like ACAH, the music heard in the trailer is very boring and forgettable.

ACI did the soundtrack right. Updates to old, well loved tracks fit the game of recycled material well. I would hope that AC7 takes a more creative course for the soundtrack and steps away from the themes used for the last 10 years. 

FTFY.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

If we're talking music, the BGM for the trailer beyond the Razgriz motif on piano was completely unremarkable. That they're using synths instead of an actual orchestra after ACAH is, to me, rather disappointing.

Jim

Jim

Technicolour Dreamboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Squad:Available for 2 shillings and an orange peel
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen
It seemed more like the piece was composed to specifically match what was happening in the trailer, as opposed to previous games where the trailers were edited from existing scenes in the game to match a stage theme or leitmotif.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,831 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

It seemed more like the piece was composed to specifically match what was happening in the trailer, as opposed to previous games where the trailers were edited from existing scenes in the game to match a stage theme or leitmotif.

Yeah, that makes sense. It definitely had 'production music' sort of feel.

Jim

Jim

Technicolour Dreamboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Squad:Available for 2 shillings and an orange peel
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

Also, about the mediocrity of the trailer compared to those of previous games: I think we're missing a vital point about what Namdai seem to be aiming for here. We have to keep in mind that, not only has this series basically come back from the dead, it also now appears to be aiming to take a share of the mainstream action games market instead of simply subsisting off of its core fanbase. I believe this is why this trailer felt much more generic than those for previous entries in the series: PA needed to quickly show what the series is (jet fighters) and what makes it unique (sci-fi elements, large scales of enemies, personal melodrama) to mainstream audiences, whilst throwing in hints to please the longtime fans (the flashes of Strangereal emblems).

For those purposes, they couldn't have just made it a bunch of panning shots of landscapes and maps while a key character spiels on about in-universe mythology or historical events. That can be done at a later stage now that they have the attention of potential newcomers.

As for the drone carrier not being impressive or mysterious enough. From what little Kono's said (as well as how its exposure was handled in the trailer), well...I don't think it's intended to be that way. The way Kono talks about it and its relationship with the supposedly prolific space elevators would imply that its presence is already well known in universe, and that its first appearance won't be a massive surprise to the player character when they eventually encounter it.

Red_9

Red_9

PSN ID: Ibisleigh_1

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  • Squad:335th No-Such-Thing Squad
  • Plane:F/A-18C Hornet

Also, about the mediocrity of the trailer compared to those of previous games: I think we're missing a vital point about what Namdai seem to be aiming for here. We have to keep in mind that, not only has this series basically come back from the dead, it also now appears to be aiming to take a share of the mainstream action games market instead of simply subsisting off of its core fanbase. I believe this is why this trailer felt much more generic than those for previous entries in the series: PA needed to quickly show what the series is (jet fighters) and what makes it unique (sci-fi elements, large scales of enemies, personal melodrama) to mainstream audiences, whilst throwing in hints to please the longtime fans (the flashes of Strangereal emblems).
For those purposes, they couldn't have just made it a bunch of panning shots of landscapes and maps while a key character spiels on about in-universe mythology or historical events. That can be done at a later stage now that they have the attention of potential newcomers.

As for the drone carrier not being impressive or mysterious enough. From what little Kono's said (as well as how its exposure was handled in the trailer), well...I don't think it's intended to be that way. The way Kono talks about it and its relationship with the supposedly prolific space elevators would imply that its presence is already well known in universe, and that its first appearance won't be a massive surprise to the player character when they eventually encounter it.

I'm actually quite glad that the large aircraft looks rather unremarkable. Ace combat super weapons were kind of getting a bit TOO grandiose. Things that by all rights shouldn't even be able to fly, or are so incredibly clunky looking or overly complicated. It was starting to feel a bit mecha-anime.

The super weapons I remember most as being most intimidating was Stonehenge. And it was basically a bunch of really really big looking howitzers.

The giant plane in the trailer actually looks feasible to modern technology. That's what I like about it.

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

This is an excellent post that makes excellent points.

It also raises a question. If the space elevator and the drone carrier aren't AC7's superweapons, what will it be?

I'm tempted to say the asteroid dropper from Infinity, simply because that was one of the few cool things Infinity had going for it in its story. And considering lasers are a (relatively common if this is indeed after AC5) thing in Strangereal, it's pretty feasible, too.

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Su-30SM SuperFlanker

Rookie

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Plane:Su-30 Flanker-C

This is an excellent post that makes excellent points.

It also raises a question. If the space elevator and the drone carrier aren't AC7's superweapons, what will it be?

I'm tempted to say the asteroid dropper from Infinity, simply because that was one of the few cool things Infinity had going for it in its story. And considering lasers are a (relatively common if this is indeed after AC5) thing in Strangereal, it's pretty feasible, too.

A space elevator is just a facility like Comona. It can't really be a superweapon if it's the same as a rocket launch pad.

And I don't know what it would be needed to defend against unless it were strategically important for some orbital weapon/installation. So maybe that?

The drone carrier is pretty good as a boss just because it can overwhelm with numbers. It's well balanced like Stonehenge is, it seems. 

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,802 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

A space elevator is just a facility like Comona. It can't really be a superweapon if it's the same as a rocket launch pad.

And I don't know what it would be needed to defend against unless it were strategically important for some orbital weapon/installation. So maybe that?

The drone carrier is pretty good as a boss just because it can overwhelm with numbers. It's well balanced like Stonehenge is, it seems. 

As long as they finally learn to make UAVs actually fun to fight and not how they usually are, ranging from the "meh" (Arkbird/Hrimfaxi UAVs) to the "bad" (Camilla's UAVs) to the "fuck this shit" (Pasternak's UAVs).

Orcagirl

Orcagirl

☆★ FighterjetKin ★☆

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor
When do you guys think we'll get a new trailer?

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

Never ever. It was all a ruse.

I dunno, in a month or two?

Edited by Muscle Man, 09 December 2015 - 05:30 PM.

Cobalt_Wild

Cobalt_Wild

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Plane:F-2A Viper Zero

Well, Infinity currently has an Alect and then New Year event to get through. I think it's plausible we'll get some kind of AC7 event not long afterwards, hopefully coinciding with the release of more information, though I admit this doesn't necessarily have to mean another trailer. It'd be real nice if we do get one though.

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts

UAV's in Infinity pissed me off because they don't seem to adhere to any earthly form of physics. You'd think they have warp lightspeed drives or something with the way they erratically jump around and suddenly gain and lose speed. Meanwhile you as a player are still restricted by some half-realistic form of physics and are clumsily trying to follow them around.

Could say the same for any of the "elite" fighter enemies. Just turning on a dime and reversing their trajectory in a split second. Meanwhile us earthly pilots have to wheel back around at the speed of potato.

Edited by Red_9, 09 December 2015 - 07:25 PM.

VitalEvergreen1

VitalEvergreen1

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

I said I will be back when they announce Ace Combat 7. Some one said "RIP Vital..." but hey I was right about Ace Combat 7 going to be a thing.

SilentWings

SilentWings

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Plane:Rafale M

Now that's what I call an analysis. Kudos to you, Jim.

So what do you guys think the space elevator is actually for? Theories?

Maybe it's a replacement/alternate to the SSTO/Bridge of Peace from AC5. It may might ferry up supplies to a giant satellite-laser-superweapon thing.

Edited by SilentWings, 10 December 2015 - 02:14 AM.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

All I want is a silent protag, that's all I ask for... Also is that the same aerial fortress from Air Combat?

The Aerial Fortress in Air Combat is jet-powered. This one is possibly a turboprop-powered aircraft, based on the Me P.08.01 it seems. Namdai loves Wunderwaffe projects obviously as was shown in previous Ace Combat games (V2). It seems pretty cool, but something about the concept is off.

Nah, I'd really like a Strangereal game where the protagonist has a character and an arc.

I'd say Mobius 1 had a decent character arc, even Blaze had an ok character arc. You can clearly identify them as going from newbies to legends as the missions increase in scale and enemies fear your actions even more through dialog. The blank with Garuda 1 and Gryphus 1 make it so that the character arc is basically non-existent, and the same goes for Scarface 1 and Phoenix 1.

I'm actually quite glad that the large aircraft looks rather unremarkable. Ace combat super weapons were kind of getting a bit TOO grandiose. Things that by all rights shouldn't even be able to fly, or are so incredibly clunky looking or overly complicated. It was starting to feel a bit mecha-anime.

The super weapons I remember most as being most intimidating was Stonehenge. And it was basically a bunch of really really big looking howitzers.

The giant plane in the trailer actually looks feasible to modern technology. That's what I like about it.

Actually, howitzers are low velocity, large caliber weapons. Basically think about the intermediate between a mortar (extreme arc, low range) and a cannon (high velocity, meh range due to elevation). Stonehenge was a railgun array made to blow up asteroid fragments before they can fuck up even more shit. I'd make a more accurate comparison with naval guns to some extent, as they are large as shit yet still had muzzle velocity in the 800 m/s area, even the 460mms on the Yamato.

If we're talking music, the BGM for the trailer beyond the Razgriz motif on piano was completely unremarkable. That they're using synths instead of an actual orchestra after ACAH is, to me, rather disappointing.

Honestly, Ace Combat is a bit strange in terms of music. It kind of fluctuates in quality, with AC 2 being pretty decent, AC 3 being meh, AC 4 being really good, AC 5 being acceptable (Katina being pretty damn good), AC 6 being pretty good as well and ACZ being solid because the music really does set the atmosphere nicely if it's Spanish guitar. I will still say that The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces has one of the best soundtracks of what Project Aces churned out.

Either way, I'm pretty curious on Namdai's possible approach. Arcade flight games in general, after playing a couple more recently, have this tendency of becoming stale in terms of depth. Part of this may be due to how hard it is to have map variety in these sorts of games due to the 3D free movement. It's clear that the standard approach has been abandoned because people are dumb enough to turn with aces all the time, which leads to aces either being utter trash against BnZ (Yellows), utter trash in general (Ofnir/Grabacr and ZOEs) or literal fuck you and your siblings cheap tactics mode (Ofnir/Grabacr in chaff spam mode or Strigons). Thus one of my concerns is about the aces. It is very rare that good aces exist in the AC series at this point. The Yellows are pretty solid since their tactics are not cheap and can be countered with proper strategy, and AC 3 aces are the same except that BnZ attacks require more observation and better timing. On top of that, they are sufficiently consistent that speedruns and the like are very possible.

At this point, what can Namdai do to make an old formula from the days of the early 2000s still come out fresh in the mid-2010s, especially with the large amount of gimmicks, shiny features, etc that plague this new generation of games? That I'm curious about. Something needs to be done to make the gameplay seem more dynamic and less outdated. This is not casual talk, but trying to revamp the genre a bit. I always thought that QAAM style dedication as standard would be excellent in such a game because it forces one to stick to the ground, and thus map design becomes very interesting. Recently after playing Secret Weapons Over Normandy I found out that 4 aces in Komets matched me in a 262. I'm serious, I consistently had a 1-2 kill lead, sometimes even losing that lead because Komets are really goddamn annoying planes. This is because it is all gun play in that game, thus depth in tactics is added. Ace Combat does not benefit from this, so I really hope Namdai found something. They already did some things such as revamping the missile mechanics a bit in AC 6, close range assault in AC AH, a hybrid system in Legacy, high G turns in AC 6 (even if combining yaw and corner turns became less interesting), etc. It is clear that they are aware that the genre needs an extra touch. I just hope AC 7 does not disappoint. What about enhanced maneuverability when stalling?

Holy shit that was quite long. Please kill me.

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
Alright, so naval guns then. In terms of visual design it was still pretty recognizable. What I mean is that you could almost believe a military would make something like that. Just a bunch of gigantic cannons in a circle. Suspension of disbelief was really easy because it was convincing.

Now shit like Aigaion and Chandelier were just batshit crazy. As neat as they are they also jumped the shark a bit. So I'm glad they seem to be going back to more conservative designs.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

im guessing lighthouse is either another asteroid destroying superweapon or just a necessary component that connects to an asteroid destroying superweapon in space.

im guessing the plot's gonna be something like "guys look we made this laser beam in space but it tethers to the ground by this gigantic tower." and then something like "we're a bunch of belkan terrorists and we're going to use it to blow up ur country xaxaxaxa"

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,802 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

RECLAIM BELKAN CLAY

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hype, ace combat 7, Osea, F-22, SU-37, Arkbird on Steroids, Bloody vogels, Nostalgia, Strangereal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users