Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ace Combat 7

1644 replies to this topic

Raptor12

Raptor12

Noob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

Do we know which will be the system requirements for the PC version or we have to wait a bit more?

I would like to assume that you could get away with something along the lines of a GTX 750 for the lowest tier and up and something like a GTX 960 or equivalent for mid tier. This is just eyeballing the graphics in the trailer and comparing to something like Battlefield 1 though, so I have no confirmation on this at all. 

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

I would like to assume that you could get away with something along the lines of a GTX 750 for the lowest tier and up and something like a GTX 960 or equivalent for mid tier. This is just eyeballing the graphics in the trailer and comparing to something like Battlefield 1 though, so I have no confirmation on this at all. 

bf1 has A LOT more going for it than an airplane game. theres literally nothing to render in the sky and the ground isnt a problem with LOD. the only things you have to worry about are clouds and smoke and i guess if you're flying low to the ground then theres a bit more to render but it wont be nearly as graphic intensive as bf1.

i shouldnt have to state if they're going to put like 500 planes in the same spot then yeah you're going to need a good machine

Flaren89

Flaren89

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Plane:F-117A Nighthawk

Well, in fact the problem with DCS having huge requirements, settles just because of the game always tries to load the largest portion of map as possible. And we know that even in big maps, Ace Combat is not really that big.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon, even on "Enhanced Edition" which should maybe require higher spec than regular version, still needs just an a 8800GT and old gen CPU.

Actually, I have a i5 3340 3.1GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an Asus nVidia GTX 660 Direct OC II. I can run Need for Speed 2015 in lowest graphic (still looking really good even in this settings) pretty well, the only problem is that time by time I got half-second screen freezes. But considering that HDD light on the case looks crazy and sometimes happens that I fall in a non-loaded road, I think there my biggest problem might be the fact that my HDD is not really fast and probably is not able to keep up with the rest of the hardware.

On the other side, I can run Assetto Corsa at 100 to 130 fps on cockpit view, while having all main settings on "Ultra" less Shadow "High", while sub-options like Post-Process filters are on "Low" and the unnecessary on "Off".

Edited by Flaren89, 27 January 2017 - 04:15 PM.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Squad:765th Air Division

AH didnt require that much specs. Even an entry level 920M, like mines, could run it at 60fps no problem. The one now is how much of a spike the performance requirements are.

daHawk

daHawk

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Plane:F-15S/MTD

THE ENEMY IS IN THE CLOUD.

also 7.8/10 too much water (vapor)

Edited by daHawk, 31 January 2017 - 01:56 AM.

AnkaDewo

AnkaDewo

Rookie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

I don't know if this had been posted here or not, but sad news. Namco's founder has passed away.

http://www.forbes.co...d/#36f117296096

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,808 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

THE ENEMY IS IN THE CLOUD.

also 7.8/10 too much water (vapor)

GIMMIIIIIIIIIIICKS

like jesus christ can't you for once talk about something that isn't a system used to hide from the enemy like a pussy, cause that's totally what I play AC for, man

Edited by PositronCannon, 31 January 2017 - 08:24 AM.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

GIMMIIIIIIIIIIICKS

like jesus christ can't you for once talk about something that isn't a system used to hide from the enemy like a pussy, cause that's totally what I play AC for, man

I think it's another attempt at stopping the circlejerk by making hit and run more useful, even if it's already very useful to begin with given that missiles in Ace Combat games are pretty slow.

Flaren89

Flaren89

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Well, let's say the honest and real thing: in Infinity the circlekerk is possible just because the "looping STD missle" trick and the over-homing launch precision on QAAMs. And also the turning abilities of the planes in this game at high levels. So it is all of matter of the upgrade system in this game which is actually good, but make it feel much less an AC game. So the most important thing is to shoot missiles, not shooting them in an accurate manner. And this causes the circlejerking.

You gonna never be able to do this on a AC2, AC4, ACZ or any other pre-7th gen ACs. There you would actually had to place yourself behind the enemy or try to get in a "Cipher vs Pixy mode", making almost impossible the PvP and in fact in those games there wasn't online multiplayer modes. Although, watching a split-screen video on Youtube, actually it was really good, maybe even than AC:I. This because it's true that missiles are worse, but also the turning capacities of the planes are very low, so actually the accuracy of the missiles was good, honestly.

With 7th gen consoles it comes AC6 that gives us the ability of "High-G turn" by decelerating while turning and in fact here a serious PvP was introduced. This makes easier to put yourself in the tail of the enemy, but because you have to decelerate it will be easier for the enemies to hit you too, although the missiles in official games are slower and have worse homing abilities.

To make feel Infinity like an official AC game, you have to fly:

- Up to ACZ: low to mid tier planes at lv1 and never use deleration while turning (to avoid High-G turn)

- AC6: every kind of planes, but keeping them lv1.

Raptor12

Raptor12

Noob

• Members
  • 5 posts

GIMMIIIIIIIIIIICKS

Well, it was stated in the video that the clouds mechanics that it could have effects on weather, including visibility and turbulence. Its a possibility if youre in a slow and tight dogfight in a cloud formation some buffeting could knock you or your opponent into a stall as a penalty for not exercising speed caution. Or enemy pilots diving into cloud cover to hide inside your HUD clutter, or disorient the player from checking their altimeter, orientation etc. I can personally say this because of Infinity in say Moscow HARD with all the fighter aircraft weaving around leaves me upside down and confused a good percentage of the time (though that may be me addicted to my 3rd person camera). Possibly in storms it could incorporate electrical interference when pursuing enemies, slowing lock on rates or HUD jamming. 

Another thought, thinking off of Ace pilots is using clouds as traps, or baits into attacks, leading the player into clouds, then out as an evasive maneuver or as a retaliatory attack.

Granted this is just speculation on my end, but theres a good amount of potential that could be leveraged from this system depending how vital it is to the gameplay and how fleshed out it is. My only hope is in the weather aspect it doesnt interfere the player too much with the system.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Well, let's say the honest and real thing: in Infinity the circlekerk is possible just because the "looping STD missle" trick and the over-homing launch precision on QAAMs. And also the turning abilities of the planes in this game at high levels. So it is all of matter of the upgrade system in this game which is actually good, but make it feel much less an AC game. So the most important thing is to shoot missiles, not shooting them in an accurate manner. And this causes the circlejerking.

You gonna never be able to do this on a AC2, AC4, ACZ or any other pre-7th gen ACs. There you would actually had to place yourself behind the enemy or try to get in a "Cipher vs Pixy mode", making almost impossible the PvP and in fact in those games there wasn't online multiplayer modes. Although, watching a split-screen video on Youtube, actually it was really good, maybe even than AC:I. This because it's true that missiles are worse, but also the turning capacities of the planes are very low, so actually the accuracy of the missiles was good, honestly.

With 7th gen consoles it comes AC6 that gives us the ability of "High-G turn" by decelerating while turning and in fact here a serious PvP was introduced. This makes easier to put yourself in the tail of the enemy, but because you have to decelerate it will be easier for the enemies to hit you too, although the missiles in official games are slower and have worse homing abilities.

To make feel Infinity like an official AC game, you have to fly:

- Up to ACZ: low to mid tier planes at lv1 and never use deleration while turning (to avoid High-G turn)

- AC6: every kind of planes, but keeping them lv1.

Circlejerks are caused by desire to get the nose on target and not the surrounding missiles. Those aren't the primary psychological factors for the attacking player since the latter is not focused on those missiles after they are launched. Getting the nose on target was the main factor due to extreme focus on the target to the exclusion of everything else, and in AC:I that behavior is kind of rewarded. This is partially why high-G turns exist in AC 6 as you suggest, as one effectively trades a certain amount of energy for sheer radius, which could work to get guns on target. However, such a system wasn't completely effective as the main method of attack is still the missile. I've seen the circlejerks only taken care of by near-instantaneous turn capabilities as of now. In terms of missile behavior though, anything based on AC 5 is garbage with missiles. Yes, the planes don't turn as well as in AC 6, but the difficulty of evading missiles turns out to be very disappointing. The turn radius is terrible, the missiles follow the wrong kind of lead and are too slow, which is why ACX simply ramped up the missile speed.

If we look at AC 3 (yes I know I sperg about this a lot), the missiles completely punish circlejerks. In fact, they are so good at doing that that the Su-47, despite being the premiere circlejerk machine that can turn with Geopelias, is the hardest plane to fly compared to the Game and R-103. That's because missile evasion is based on preemptive positioning, as in completely avoiding an angle in which the missiles can accurately hit the predicted path of the target. This fits the general amount of missile spam and the "one pass or get lost" doctrine missiles follow. Past that game and it's better to have persistent missiles and a way to force people to the ground for evasion, which may demand more from instantaneous turn rate, as well as possibly increased missile spam along with reduced damage.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

I went and translated this interview since it has some actual new gameplay information, specifically about UAVs and futuristic weapons.

Since its announcement during the Playstation Experience 2015 conference, information regarding Ace Combat 7, the sequel to Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation, has been rather scarce. We know Project Aces is in charge, it's the first installment arriving to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Steam, it's compatible with PlayStation VR, and it uses Unreal Engine 4.

But thanks to our correspondent in Japan, Christopher Kagotani, we bring you an exclusive interview with the main minds behind its development: Kosuke Itomi (visual director), Masato Kanno (art director) and Shinya Hirota (game designer). The people behind Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (final title for the new installment) share some very interesting information on their experience working on a new platform, the new weapons and enemies the title brings us, the process of adapting it to virtual reality... Don't miss it, as it's well worth it.

- The artistic direction for PSVR must have been very different from previous games in the Ace Combat series. How have you dealt with this?

MK: In previous Ace Combat games, you sat in the cockpit and that's about it. The field of view was locked right in front of you. We didn't need to create things you weren't supposed to be able to see. And that's precisely the case when you're working with VR. We know people want to look around, inspect everything. So we have to anticipate that and work on every detail, even the most insignificant. Right now, we're working on the fonts, the real time information displayed on every instrument, etc. You'll be able to read everything.

- Displaying a cockpit on screen and experiencing it (through VR) seem to require two different approaches when it comes to research. Was that the case?

MK: Yes, back when the game was still just a prototype, Hirota and I went to an air defense base or "Jietai" to sit inside a cockpit and feel everything like a real fighter pilot would. We focused on every detail that a pilot experiences inside the cockpit, in the darkness of night or in broad daylight. We're capable of creating a lot of elements which make the cockpit experience feel very unique, very real. For example, the feeling you get when you land and the canopy opens, the way air flows through you, the blinding effect when a missile is fired at night, etc. We wanted the users to experience all this.

- How did you work on the clouds to make them look so realistic, and at the same time also work as a game mechanic?

MK: We've used a middleware called trueSKY to create those realistic clouds. It's a cloud simulation software. When the project began they asked us to make realistic clouds that played a role during air combat, giving the players a place to hide, etc. As we looked for ways to do this, we stumbled upon this middleware and decided it was perfect for our project. At any rate, it does require a lot of resources. When we met with them, they were impressed with our objective. They said our case was unique, since normally developers try to limit the performance level assigned to TrueSKY to about 10% of what we were doing,  as well as the usage of memory resources. I guess it's about finding the right balance, a "best effort" of sorts.

- Since Air Combat on arcades, the Ace series is usually identified as a great experience from a technical point of view. The current platforms provide a huge level of power, allowing for tons of possibilities unlike the original PlayStation. How challenging has it been to create an Ace Combat experience that's worthy of this increase in power?

MK: Indeed, if you look at draw distance you can show practically everything from afar. Right now we have it set to 200 km. That's quite a distance, I assure you. But what the platform allows us isn't always perfect. Being able to see up to 200 km in front of you doesn't give a great sense of speed. This is an example of using those clouds in a good way. We use them to hide the horizon and give you that sense of supersonic speed when you fly through them. So improving visual quality is important, but more than that, ensuring the overall experience benefits is the key.

- Have you designed anything specific to reduce VR sickness?

SH: It's been a long process of trial and error. We first tried basic adjustments with our default UI. But we soon realized there was too much information on screen. So we tried to focus on the most important bits. It's been a long process to identify which are the key points and placing them on the right parts of the screen. We wanted to reduce fatigue and dizziness for the users. We ended up grouping those key elements together in the center of the screen, leaving the rest almost out of view.

MK: The HUD is now in a fixed position, but a few months ago it moved along with the player's head movement. We reached the conclusion that a fixed position was better since we learned after many tests that people got less dizzy that way. We had to keep this kind of details in mind in order to reduce sickness.

- One of the themes of this game seems to be the conflict between machines and humans. How do you show these machines on screen? How do we know, apart from visually, that we're up against a machine and not another human pilot?

MK: Not long ago, we discussed this aspect with Hirota. Since a machine doesn't have the human body's biological limitations, they can perform extreme maneuvers. So you'll see their aircraft doing impossible moves, and you'll know they're machines.

KI: The aircraft flown by humans are easily identifiable by their behavior, the way they turn, etc. The unmanned ones are erratic from a human perspective, since they can perform maneuvers that are impossible for humans. They make aerial engagements into a different experience from previous games.

- You don't fear this causing unmanned aircraft to be almost invulnerable?

MK: We made it so these UAVs aren't as efficient when moving. What I mean is that humans need to look around them and perform maneuvers as efficiently as possible to reduce stress. UAVs will overshoot* you, etc. They're designed to give the player a chance to fight them.

*literally "will exceed you", I took a guess on the intended meaning.

- The UAVs make long turns to evade missiles instead of tight ones, etc?

MK: Well, I guess it depends on the level's design. Should we focus on the aircraft's behavior or the AI's? Right now that's one of the topics we're debating the most in the team.

- Would there be a case where a player would have to use the gun instead of missiles because the latter are too easy to evade?

MK: We don't want to require players using specific weapons to defeat certain types of enemies. Having said this, the game does introduce some sci-fi weapons which are usually quite fast. Ace Combat 3 had the pulse cannon, it was some sort of laser. We have a similar weapon in this game. Its aiming and firing speed is so fast that it gives you an advantage over unmanned enemies, compared to more conventional weapon systems. Internally, we describe sci-fi weapons as those which are in development but not ready for real testing yet, like lasers, railguns, etc. They're normally based on real weapons but often they're inspired by novels or movies like Transformers. Special weapons are systems which some air forces already use but aren't part of the usual equipment.

XDragon

XDragon

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Plane:F-15S/MTD

So, while I have nothing to contribute...I'm stoked this is coming to the Xbox one

Warlord6

Warlord6

Noob

• Members
  • 8 posts

Since the Xbox One doesn't have a VR system, I wonder if the Kinect will compensate?

As an owner of both the One and the PS4, I'm trying to decide which system to get this game for in order to get the most out of it.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Since the Xbox One doesn't have a VR system, I wonder if the Kinect will compensate?

As an owner of both the One and the PS4, I'm trying to decide which system to get this game for in order to get the most out of it.

It's fairly safe to assume that the PS4 is the primary development platform and likely will run the game better, in addition to being the more powerful system as well. It's also most likely to have the bigger player count for multiplayer.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,832 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

What's a Kinect?

Angelfire

Angelfire

Straight outta Belka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

What's a Kinect?

A monitoring device.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

kinect in 21st century lmfao please

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,163 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

- One of the themes of this game seems to be the conflict between machines and humans. How do you show these machines on screen? How do we know, apart from visually, that we're up against a machine and not another human pilot?

MK: Not long ago, we discussed this aspect with Hirota. Since a machine doesn't have the human body's biological limitations, they can perform extreme maneuvers. So you'll see their aircraft doing impossible moves, and you'll know they're machines.

KI: The aircraft flown by humans are easily identifiable by their behavior, the way they turn, etc. The unmanned ones are erratic from a human perspective, since they can perform maneuvers that are impossible for humans. They make aerial engagements into a different experience from previous games.

Uh oh.

Ace Combat 7: The Return of Pasterhax

Brain Golem

Brain Golem

Poison of Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

I guess this is why every plane is allowed to have EML/TLS now.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users