Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Taking a close look at the X-02 Wyvern...

X-02 Wyvern

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Squad:Anyone with a plane is my squad.
  • Plane:R-201 Asterozoa
I'm gonna start posting more "Taking a close look at..." topics about looking at Ace Combat stuff and comparing/describing them. The things I will describe are things like weapons and aircraft, and maybe some characters, but dont expect too many.

Anyway, starting from Ace Combat 04, a recurring super fighter in the series is the X-02 Wyvern, with its unique "switchblade" wings granting it great speed and maneuverability, and a badass look. Let's look at more little facts about it;

It would have no place to store any fuel. In real life, most aircraft store fuel in their wings. This aircraft, on the other hand, needs a hollow wing for the wing switch. Well, some planes store fuel in their fuselage; but this plane's fuselage real estate is taken up by its engines and weapons bays. It might store some fuel in the nose, but not much can fit, since many aircraft have their radar and avionics systems in their nose. This means that it would need external tanks, which would ruin its stealth.

It looks A LOT like the YF-23. This aircraft has many similarities to the real YF-23 Black Widow II. They both have engine intakes underneath the main body, and exhausts on the top/rear. They both have a similar central weapons bay, although the X-02 comes with one under each engine. Both aircraft have near identical tail sections, but the X-02 has round exhausts with 3D thrust vector, and its ruddevators fold down at high speeds (above 450mph in most AC games). There are more similarities, too. Maybe Project Aces wanted to pay a tribute to the YF-23 that didn't undergo further development, unlike the YF-22 which was developed into the F-22.

It was supposed to be an Erusean unmmaned fighter (a UCAV). (I don't think you guys took it so well when I talked about Fenrir from a in-universe perspective, but here we go anyway.) If you know the story of Ace Combat 04, you would know that Erusea was in poor condition near the end of the war, and worse, they had few good pilots left (thanks to the legendary Mobuis One). Erusea then decided to create an unmanned fighter (starting to sound like the Zone Of Endless, right?) that could be as good as an ace pilot to strengthen their air force. However, they only had a few manned prototypes (the X-02) complete by the time of their defeat. Those prototypes were captured by the ISAF forces, and now, Mobius 1 can fly one. So, this concludes that it is a manned prototype of a future UCAV. A complete!y overpowered UCAV, that is.

Edited by SkyEye MCCIX, 12 July 2015 - 09:41 PM.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Lol, you're right about the fuel.

It's less that the X-02 took inspiration directly from the YF-23, and more likely that it took inspiration from the design work of people like Shouji Kawamori, who in turn took inspiration from a number of sources which included but were not limited to the YF-23.

For instance,

vf-11b-fighter.gif

yf-19-fighter.gif

Note also the similarities in style to the superplanes from ACX, AC3, etc. Ultimately it does all come back to planes like the F-14, Su-27, and YF-23, but by 2000 or so when the X-02 would have been designed, there was definitely already a unified style among Japanese mechanical designers about what futuristic fighters "should look like."

Venom

Venom

My Mule is so sexy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts
  • Plane:F-14E Tomcat 21

The X-02's general arrangement does allow for a decent amount of fuel to be carried, though it won't be enough to make it a particularly long legged fighter. The dorsal spine above the rather shallow weapons bays could hold a good amount of fuel. The LEX above and ahead of the engine intakes also could hold a sizeable quantity of fuel. The nose would be where the bulk of the avionics are, along with the cockpit. The outboard portions of the wings could also hold some fuel, though not much. 

As a random fact about fuel storage... the F-16 only holds 550 lbs between the two wing fuel tanks. Much of its fuel is carried in the fuselage. I'd imagine the X-02 would be the same way, going by it's fuselage design.

And I am pretty sure the X-02 was designed to only be a manned fighter. No Namco published media that I am aware of states otherwise.

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Squad:Anyone with a plane is my squad.
  • Plane:R-201 Asterozoa

And I am pretty sure the X-02 was designed to only be a manned fighter. No Namco published media that I am aware of states otherwise.

In the end of "Ace Combat: Operation Katina" (the Arcade mode of AC5), Mobius One's base commander says; "...we were also able to gain info on Erusea's experimental unmanned aircraft." Erusea's was most likely not developing any other aircraft apart from the X-02 at the time, so this basically explains it. The guy also said some more stuff, but I forgot most of it.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Squad:765th Air Division
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

Lol, you're right about the fuel.

It's less that the X-02 took inspiration directly from the YF-23, and more likely that it took inspiration from the design work of people like Shouji Kawamori, who in turn took inspiration from a number of sources which included but were not limited to the YF-23.

For instance,

vf-11b-fighter.gif

yf-19-fighter.gif

Note also the similarities in style to the superplanes from ACX, AC3, etc. Ultimately it does all come back to planes like the F-14, Su-27, and YF-23, but by 2000 or so when the X-02 would have been designed, there was definitely already a unified style among Japanese mechanical designers about what futuristic fighters "should look like."

It may be possible that the X-02's design may have influenced how the XR-45 and the other ACX fictional planes were modeled (If Neucom did built these planes)  since the Aurelian-Leasath War was the last conflict in chronological order if Im not wrong. It may also be possible that the Erusians based the foward swept wing design of the X-02 on the early ADFX-01 and ADFX-02 prototypes from Grunder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users