Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What's better: ACX or ACX2?

Joint Assault Skies of Deception Ace Combat vs or choose

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: What's better: ACX or ACX2? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What should I do;

1. Keep Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception, it is too good to lose. (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. Trade it in and play Ace Combat X2: Joint Assault instead; it is a great game. (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Squad:Anyone with a plane is my squad.
  • Plane:R-201 Asterozoa
Anyway, I have been playing Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception for a while now (I bought both the FALKEN and the Wyvern, so I've definitely been playing a while), and an opportunity comes up for me to trade in ACX for ACX2. Is it worth it? Should I trade in my beloved (not really) ACX for ACX2?

I'm looking for a one-to-ten rating of both games in your opinion, and a poll vote for which one I should keep.

Rate it in these principles;

Overall

Graphics

Story

Aircraft Selection

Weapon Selection

I don't play it on a PSP, by the way. I play it on an emulator for my tablet (PPSSPP Emulator). Talk about quality on-the-go entertainment!

Edited by SkyEye MCCIX, 03 July 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

how do you manage to create 5 threads in under a week

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts

how do you manage to create 5 threads in under a week

I just realized that... is this place usually not very active?

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

Joint Assault is a huge piece of crap, that's all the rating needed.

kaiju_wars

kaiju_wars

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Squad:501st Joint Fighter Wing
  • Plane:F-2A Viper Zero

Why trade it in... why not just get both?

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Why trade it in... why not just get both?

He said he already has it for an emulator, so he could sell it off either way. Sad that it's in inferior non-keyboard master race format as should be the case in every AC game that's run on an emulator.

Either way, it seems that JA is a tedious grindfest. Sure, you can get it, but you lose the AC X box and CD, both of which are precious. Gotta try JA, but the running costs per aircraft just kill me. Damage costs I could understand, but ammo costs? Why place this in a game series where the whole point is missile and SP weapon spam at armies of enemies? Makes no sense. But hey, it could be worse sadly enough.

kaiju_wars

kaiju_wars

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Squad:501st Joint Fighter Wing
  • Plane:F-2A Viper Zero

Okay, it's an emulator.  When do you trade in roms for your emulator?

Just download the rom for the other AC and put it in the roms folder of your emulator.

No need to sell it off.  No need to trade in the game.

Just download the rom for free.

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts
I got a chance to play Joint Assault recently, and I want to make a little review here;

Bad things compared with ACX:
I hate that I need to constantly use one plane over and over again just to unlock a new weapon. Now, my planefus (MiG-31 and F-4E) are OP as f***, and my non-favorite planes (just about anything that isn't an F-22, YF-23, F-18, F-15, MiG-29, or A-10) have crap weapons.

Even worse, to unlock new standard missiles, you're supposed to use the standard model a lot, same thing for the special weapons, and this system (and the somewhat limited types of missions) can lead to a lot of stupid moments. For example, the Caliburn has a RCL for a standard sp weapon. RCLs are great for anti-ship missions, but not too good for most other missions. There are NO good anti-ship missions to use RCLs in, like Armada from ACX. So, my Caliburn will never be able to use its sp weapon effectively, and thus, it will never unlock a new sp weapon, unless I grind for ages with a now-underpowered weapon. GRIND with it. And yeah, NOBODY. LIKES. GRINDING.

That's one bad thing about ACX2. However, there are a few good things;

I do like how you need to pay money for using weapons and taking damage, because it lets you really focus on saving ammo which, in some ways, actually helps on long missions (so that I can still have some ammo left in case a random mission update passepasses by). Also, the planes are pretty much identical to the ACX selection, with a four more added; the GAF-1 Varcolac, 747-200B, A6M Zero, and F6F Hellcat, which are pretty varied. More types of planes can give some fun moments.

Edited by SkyEye MCCIX, 14 July 2015 - 07:44 PM.

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II

Graphics

ACX better environments, ACJA better plane models.

Story

ACJA hands down. It's basically a remake of ACX's story (manipulating war for money, Diego Navarro = Olivieri) but much more in-depth / less iPhone-game-ish, in the real world instead of strangereal, and with topical themes like the financial crisis and capitalism. There are more twists (ACX has none), multiple antagonists (ACX has one), and the Varcolac squadron acts as a personifciation of what the hero is fighting against. (they only care about money, and even mock your heroism)

Aircraft Selection

ACJA has a few more planes, but maybe the real strength in ACJA is that the planes feel a lot more varied in the way they handle, their strengths/weaknesses, etc. In ACX all planes feel roughly more the same and it's easier to substitute one plane for another.

Weapon Selection

ACJA wins for being able to select a second SP weapons in place of missiles. It also has multiple types of "normal missiles". Granted they are useless 99 percent of the time but hey it counts for something right?

Overall

Honestly, they are two different types of games, you can't really say one is "better". They each do their own thing. ACX is closer to AC4 and AC Zero. Personally I view ACX as more of a hardcore AC game whereas ACJA Is more casual and more of a roller coaster ride with emphasis geared toward story. But the planes and weapons add a lot of depth and the multiplayer co-op is a cool feature that ACX did not have.
One thing I did though was curate both games on default settings. ACJA is better in this regard. You have chase view, arcade controls. ACX has arcade controls, but HUD view. Also, L+R buttons don't activate autopilot in ACX unless you change the controls. To activate autopilot in ACX it's up the dpad which kind of sucks because you can't look around.

ACJA has better story and that really gives it an edge compared to ACX's pathetic story. In fact I'm pretty sure ACX's story wasn't even written correctly. (the narrator says something about Griswall tower holding the answer, even after you've already captured it)

ACX has a good soundtrack, but ACJA's soundtrack is off the charts.

ACX *and* ACJA are two of the best PSP games of all time.

But this is aside the point. We're trying to figure out what YOU should do. You sound like someone who might like ACX better. But on the other hand you ought to try ACJA. (why would someone on an Ace Combat board not want to play an Ace Combat they haven't played before) The odd thing is you claim to be playing on a tablet (meh) using emulators (double meh) in which case nothing is stopping you from playing both.

edit: Go figure that you have already played it. But that's not a bad thing, this means I gave a candid answer and now I get to see how your opinion compared to mine, and whether I gave any "bad advice"

I didn't like it at first. I was so used to ACX (maybe a little too much so) that ACJA made me confused. It didn't even feel right.

But I have to wonder if maybe everyone who plays it will have the same reaction, not just people who played ACX. In which case maybe my opinion of ACJA is a little too sugary, because a first impression probably matters a lot, objectively speaking.

I think I was playing it wrong, though. The first thing I did was change the controls. I should have just went in cold.

Also. I remember picking the ground mission (misison 4) and unlocking an A6-E, and i picked that mission for the Orgoi mission (mission 5) but the plane was so slow that it could barely keep up with the Orgoi. I spent like 10-15 minutes at full throttle to chase the Orgoi down before I finally beat it.

Sometimes I think Ace Combat series should just choose the plane and weapon (and mission) for you.

Edited by rockshard, 21 July 2015 - 01:01 PM.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

I didn't like it at first. I was so used to ACX (maybe a little too much so) that ACJA made me confused. It didn't even feel right.

I've played pretty much all AC games, and I played JA enough to know I hate it. There's so much wrong with it, even without comparing to other ACs, I could spend half an hour listing stuff here.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,182 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

It's like dog fighting in claymation.

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Funk
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

JA was bad enough that even I have only played it through once. On Normal. Because it's bad. Quite bad.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Squad:765th Air Division
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

ACX hands down. Although ACJA does have better flight models (Design, not actual performance), it just feels incomplete as a whole compared to ACX. Of course in a few ways its an improvement over ACX :

• Wi-Fi compatability
  • imroved multiplayer modes
  • Joint Assault missions
  • Improved flight models (Liked the YF-23 more in JA than ACX)
  • Emblems (Although they did screw up Galm)
  • No more automated cutscene skipping (Pissed me off so much in ACX)
  • ACZ paint schemes (Rot Typhoon anytime)

But that does not mean that because of these that this makes JA overall better than ACX. For starters, you have to keep using an aircraft to unlock SP weapons and colour schemes, a similar system in H.AW.X 2 but it is tedious and some planes are so bad it makes them a chores to unlock everything especially the F-5,F-1,A-6 and the F-2. (The Viper Zero was much more capable in ACX)

ACX also has that 'AC' feel when you play it since it is set in Strangereal and that it was made in Japan while JA has a more 'Western' feel when it is the first real world AC and has an 'American' touch. But if I was to choose, I would definitely have that 'AC' feel. I also have a deep bond with ACX as it was my first AC game as well as the first PSP game I got. Im glad I got it over SOCOM US Navy Seals or if not for that, I wouldnt be so interested in military aviation and playing games like War Thunder. ACX is also the game I spent the most time playing (other than Pokemon) in general, but it just never gets old every single time I start it up. It s just that even if I dont have 4,5 or Zero, I still got a piece of Strangereal here.

ACJA has better story and that really gives it an edge compared to ACX's pathetic story. In fact I'm pretty sure ACX's story wasn't even written correctly. (the narrator says something about Griswall tower holding the answer, even after you've already captured it)

ACX has a good soundtrack, but ACJA's soundtrack is off the charts.

ACX *and* ACJA are two of the best PSP games of all time

JA's soundtrack is majority taken from AC2 and AC3 (Fire Youngman for example). ACX's soundtrack was all original.

That aside, ACX's story was far better in terms of how it was laid out over two viewpoints, from the protagonist and Albert Genette. The idea that war can instigated by an insurance company just does not really makes sensein all honesty. To say that ACX's story was pathetic compared to JA is completely ridiculous. Yes it may have a unique plot but that does not make it necessarily the better game. Just look at Advanced Warfare, it has the same idea that a company can easily instigate war for profits but it is completely out of context in the real world. I can even say that GTA Chinatown Wars had a better story than JA. It makes more sense for a leader of a country to create a war to increase arms sales as compare to a CEO of a insurance company. So we can say that somewhere in the next 30 years or so, a insurance like Prudential could somehow instigate a world war? Come on guys

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joint Assault, Skies of Deception, Ace Combat, vs, or, choose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users