Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Battle of the Flying Fortresses! Who will win? You vote!

fenrir arkbird aigaion gleipnir kottos gyges hresvelgr solg scinfaxi hrimfaxi

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: AIRSHIP BATTLE Which will win? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which "flying fortress" will win in a fight?

1. Aigaion (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Kottos (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Gyges (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Arkbird (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

5. XB-0 Hresvelgr (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Gleipnir (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

7. SOLG (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Scinfaxi-class sub (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Squad:Anyone with a plane is my squad.
  • Plane:R-201 Asterozoa
If there was a giant battle (forget that is completely non-canon) between the large "super ships", the giant plane/ships that are huge, and very, very, big, which one woud win? There are a lot of them in the Ace Combat series, and here, I will note their advantages and disadvantages;

Arkbird (with the Belkan laser): Very powerful weapon, and the Arkbird is capable of very high speeds, even capable of reaching space, and going into orbit. It's laser weapon is capable of long range, and is very accurate and powerful, but needs to recharge after constant use. Side weapons include many AA guns and AAM launchers, as well as UAV launchers to fight enemy aircraft.

SOLG (Strategic Orbital Linear Gun): An extremely powerful weapon, but, is incapable of flight on Earth, it is purely a satellite. It comes armed with a large, unidentified missile (possibly a V2 Vengeance, which is a nuke), located inside its barrel. It does not have any other weapons, and relies purely on its location in space, and its heavy armor.

Arkbird Mark II: Oops, this doesn't exist... but I want it to, so this section stays.

XB-0 Hresvelgr: I know practically nothing about this, but, it is capable of launching and landing aircraft, and is most likely capable of heavy ground attack, as its name calls it an eXperimental Bomber (XB). Side weapons include AA guns and AAMs, and probably bombs. Let's say that the on-board aircraft are Su-35s equipped with MSSLs and GUNs.

Gleipnir: A large flying boat-style aircraft, equipped with SWBM launchers, decimating anything above it, and a similar Shock Cannon, obliterating anything below it. It also comes with optical camouflage, rendering it completely invisible every now and then. It is probably very agile for its size, as it is performs a barrel roll and is capable of flying inverted for long periods of time. Side weapons include AAMs and AA guns.

P.1112 Aigaion (AKA Moby Dick): A large aerial aircraft carrier, probably the largest of them all. Can carry multiple aircraft (lets say that they are also Su-35s with GUNs and MSSLs). It has no main weapons, but carries many on-board AA guns and AAMs.

P.1113 Kottos: A large ESM aircraft, equipped with a powerful radar jammer, rendering radar useless within its area. Also has a few AA guns. It's shape is somewhat similar to Aigaion, but, being smaller, it may be more maneuverable.

P.1114 Gyges: A large aerial battleship, equipped with many AAMs and AA guns, with overall performance similar to Kottos.

Scinfaxi-class nuclear submarine: (Its still a fictional super-ship, so it's here.) A giant, heavily armored, nuclear submarine, capable of hiding underwater for a long period of time. It is equipped with the legendary Burst Missile (a smaller version of which is included in the ADFX-01/02 Morgan), and is capable of launching Lockheed Cormorant UAVs to attack enemy aircraft. It has SAMs and AA guns as its side weapon. Obviously, it doesn't fly, but its underwater capabilities, and the power of its Burst Missiles make up for that.

Edited by SkyEye MCCIX, 28 June 2015 - 02:36 PM.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

I...don't think I've ever seen this particular question before.

Alright, sure.

First of all, it's likely none of these could engage the Arkbird while it was in LEO using strictly the armament shown in-game. The Arkbird could sit in orbit and shoot all day, and even if it couldn't engage due to cloaking or jamming, it could destroy all its service facilities, condemning its opponent to sit unusable on the tarmac.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

I...don't think I've ever seen this particular question before.

Alright, sure.

First of all, it's likely none of these could engage the Arkbird while it was in LEO using strictly the armament shown in-game. The Arkbird could sit in orbit and shoot all day, and even if it couldn't engage due to cloaking or jamming, it could destroy all its service facilities, condemning its opponent to sit unusable on the tarmac.

Pretty much. Unless the Arkbird is in the atmosphere it wins hands down especially with the laser. Cut through them wings it could.

However, everyone knows that the venerable F-5 is clearly best flying fortress.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

However, everyone knows that the venerable F-5 is clearly best flying fortress.

Nah. The B-17 is.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Squad:765th Air Division
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

Gleipnir. Because it has fucking optical camouflage, SWBMs for air targets and a shock cannon for ground targets. What else would you fucking want?

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Nah. The B-17 is.

The F-5 was capable of murdering all those flying fortresses listed you know

xXxACEKILLERxXx

xXxACEKILLERxXx

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Plane:CFA-44 Nosferatu

Aigaion has a main weapon though, the Nimbus.  Which works pretty well as an area denial weapon, and as a strike weapon to hit long range targets with the help of spotter drones.

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack

since scinfaxi can fly despite being a sub, it becomes obvious that it is filled with alien technology that trumps whatever earthlings can build.

j7wxAaB.jpg

u kno it be tru'

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

since scinfaxi can fly despite being a sub, it becomes obvious that it is filled with alien technology that trumps whatever earthlings can build.

j7wxAaB.jpg

u kno it be tru'

So you're saying that sometime before the war, Aliens landed in Strangereal and decided to help the Yukes build the Scinfaxi and the Hrimfaxi?

I find it hard believing that.
In any case, what kind of 'alien' technology could the subs have? It doesnt need that type of tech to fly. All it would need would be some advanced thrusters on the hull like a giant hovercraft. Like come on. Lasers already existed in 1995 and could be madr into weapons. It cant be that hard in a technologically advanced world like Strangereal.

Aigaion has a main weapon though, the Nimbus. Which works pretty well as an area denial weapon, and as a strike weapon to hit long range targets with the help of spotter drones.

Does rhe Aigaion have any Air-to-Ground ordinance of some sort? It seems to me that the Aigaion is only able to strike against long range air targets unless it can launch attack aircraft.

But that leads to another question : Can any type of aircraft take off and land on the Aigaion? The only time we see aircraft landing on the Aigaion is at the start of Heavy Command Cruiser in AC6 where the Strigon Team land on it. It's unknown if only the Strigons are stationed on the Aerial Fortress but remember that they fly Su-33s which are carrier craft. So does it mean that the Aigaion functions like an oversized Aircraftcarrier?

Edited by BlazerAaron99, 29 June 2015 - 09:52 PM.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts

True fact: when AC5 was first coming out and I saw the story trailer, I totally thought the Belkan "grey men" they mentioned were aliens.

(For about five minutes before a brief search told me otherwise, but still)

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Also, the Su-35 was not in AC6. Like I said earlier, It is unknown whether only the Strigon Su-33s were on the Aigaion

xXxACEKILLERxXx

xXxACEKILLERxXx

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Plane:CFA-44 Nosferatu

Does rhe Aigaion have any Air-to-Ground ordinance of some sort? It seems to me that the Aigaion is only able to strike against long range air targets unless it can launch attack aircraft.

But that leads to another question : Can any type of aircraft take off and land on the Aigaion? The only time we see aircraft landing on the Aigaion is at the start of Heavy Command Cruiser in AC6 where the Strigon Team land on it. It's unknown if only the Strigons are stationed on the Aerial Fortress but remember that they fly Su-33s which are carrier craft. So does it mean that the Aigaion functions like an oversized Aircraftcarrier?

The Nimbus wiped out the Emmerian fleet in the initial invasion.  It can strike both air and surface targets.

The Aigaion has a Nimitz deck in-between its wings, I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE FOR?

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

The Nimbus wiped out the Emmerian fleet in the initial invasion. It can strike both air and surface targets.

The Aigaion has a Nimitz deck in-between its wings, I WONDER WHAT THAT COULD BE FOR?

I guess Im that blind

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

Deez nuts.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts

As between the options that aren't a few hundred miles high, if burst/shockwave/whatever missiles can sink an aircraft carrier, they can probably kill aerial fortresses pretty well too. In which case, whoever sees the enemy and can engage first will win. My money is on the Gleipnir, due to its combination of missiles and cloaking.

That's no surprise, really. ACX takes place the furthest in the future, doesn't it?

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts
  • Squad:Funky Arrows Unit
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

As between the options that aren't a few hundred miles high, if burst/shockwave/whatever missiles can sink an aircraft carrier, they can probably kill aerial fortresses pretty well too. In which case, whoever sees the enemy and can engage first will win. My money is on the Gleipnir, due to its combination of missiles and cloaking.

That's no surprise, really. ACX takes place the furthest in the future, doesn't it?

Yeah, before AC3's super-advanced technology led to... a big blimp.

Chopper15

Chopper15

Playing without trash-talking has no sense at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Squad:345th TFW 'Lancers'
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

Gleipnir has my vote becuase of the Optical Camouflage, I mean.... taking over a whole country in less than 10 days... that's quite fast.

SkyEye MCCIX

SkyEye MCCIX

Rookie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Squad:Anyone with a plane is my squad.
  • Plane:R-201 Asterozoa

Yeah, before AC3's super-advanced technology led to... a big blimp.

TBH, After playing through AC5 and 04, I decided to give AC3 a try. (Absolutely loved it)

I expected a giant air battle against that UI-4053 Sphyrna and a difficult, awesome, story-filled, boss battle of epicness like the Arkbird or Aigaion.

But nah, you just dump a payload of missiles into it four times and it dies in an even more boring way than a paper plane.

That thing's defence was like a ####ing Hindenburg Mk.-1. Yep, Mark Negative One.

Even worse of a boss than the Battleship Upor in AC5's "Desert Lightning".

Edited by SkyEye MCCIX, 29 September 2015 - 06:40 AM.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

TBH, After playing through AC5 and 04, I decided to give AC3 a try. (Absolutely loved it)

I expected a giant air battle against that UI-4053 Sphyrna and a difficult, awesome, story-filled, boss battle of epicness like the Arkbird or Aigaion.

But nah, you just dump a payload of missiles into it four times and it dies in an even more boring way than a paper plane.

That thing's defence was like a ####ing Hindenburg Mk.-1. Yep, Mark Negative One.

Even worse of a boss than the Battleship Upor in AC5's "Desert Lightning".

The whole flying fortress thing happened in Air Combat and was abandoned. In AC 2 all you have is a giant bomber that dies in 10 missile hits. It took Ace Combat 5 to get the whole concept back on track.

3m4nu3l3

3m4nu3l3

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon
Flying Megalith.
/thread

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fenrir, arkbird, aigaion, gleipnir, kottos, gyges, hresvelgr, solg, scinfaxi, hrimfaxi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users