Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

General purpose dumb/obvious questions:

FAQ

• Please log in to reply
735 replies to this topic

botafogo4life

botafogo4life

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Plane:B-1B Lancer

I just wanted to stop guessing/assuming and get some real answers:

1. Are gold crates completely random? Do you have a better chance of landing one with forced fuel sorties? How about with merc contracts running?

2. All things being equal, do attacker jets have stronger machine guns, or are they stronger just against ground targets?

3. I've seen quite a few discussion and debate about the inherent class benefits or hidden perks of each jet, i.e., attackers take slightly less damage from ground targets, etc...Was there ever any definitive testing or documentation of the 'hidden' perks, or do they even exist?

4. Was the payout for campaign missions nerfed? Last year a PSN friend told me to buy the campaign missions since it was a decent way to grind for credits when you didn't have fuel for co-op (I obviously wasn't able to buy it until this month)...He'd said at the time payouts were 8000-10000...I'm guessing he made a serious typo in his messages to me??

5. I've been watching some of the hardcore pro vids on youtube, and I see that the 3rd-person "camera lock" is really popular...How do players do that so naturally without getting jerky with the camera perspective? Is it just a matter of practice, or is this a skill that dates back to previous AC games? (ACI is my only real introduction to the series)

6. Are those 4.59m jets at the end really worth buying? Even if I win the Akula, is it really worth using, since the Scarface needs like a zillion credits just to upgrade?

7. People here have repeatedly told me that the "stat bars" illustrating jet abilities are inaccurate...Are they only slightly inaccurate, moderately inaccurate, or should I just ignore them altogether?? Because if the game doesn't tell us the specific hard numbers of planes+parts+datalink improvements, and if the stat bars are unreliable, just how the hell are we supposed to properly evaluate the pros and cons of each loadout?

8. Any special reason why Namco thought Zodiac-themed jets were a good idea? I swear I'm not criticizing; it just seems like a weird theme to use when there are so many more available...

9. Is the datalink perk you choose always "on", or only when you're connected to a teammate?

10. What exactly are the full effects of ECM on enemies??

Edited by botafogo4life, 28 April 2015 - 04:06 PM.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

I just wanted to stop guessing/assuming and get some real answers:

1. Are gold crates completely random? Do you have a better chance of landing one with forced fuel sorties? How about with merc contracts running?

they're completely random

2. All things being equal, do attacker jets have stronger machine guns, or are they stronger just against ground targets?

only stronger against ground targets

3. I've seen quite a few discussion and debate about the inherent class benefits or hidden perks of each jet, i.e., attackers take slightly less damage from ground targets, etc...Was there ever any definitive testing or documentation of the 'hidden' perks, or do they even exist?

attackers naturally are very very beefy and take less damage from everything compared to multiroles and fighters. fighters do more damage against planes, multirole is mixed, attackers do more damage against ground.

4. Was the payout for campaign missions nerfed? Last year a PSN friend told me to buy the campaign missions since it was a decent way to grind for credits when you didn't have fuel for co-op (I obviously wasn't able to buy it until this month)...He'd said at the time payouts were 8000-10000...I'm guessing he made a serious typo in his messages to me??

campaigns reward jack shit and they've always rewarded jack shit and arent worth the time per credits

5. I've been watching some of the hardcore pro vids on youtube, and I see that the 3rd-person "camera lock" is really popular...How do players do that so naturally without getting jerky with the camera perspective? Is it just a matter of practice, or is this a skill that dates back to previous AC games? (ACI is my only real introduction to the series)

i dont use camera lock, never have. i sometimes move my camera to see what the other guy is doing but i just follow the arrow at the top of my screen.

6. Are those 4.59m jets at the end really worth buying? Even if I win the Akula, is it really worth using, since the Scarface needs like a zillion credits just to upgrade?

depends how much money (real money) you're willing to put into this game, if you buy a 4m plane but don't play enough to upgrade it past level 1 then dont bother, just stick with the low/mid tier stuff.

7. People here have repeatedly told me that the "stat bars" illustrating jet abilities are inaccurate...Are they only slightly inaccurate, moderately inaccurate, or should I just ignore them altogether?? Because if the game doesn't tell us the specific hard numbers of planes+parts+datalink improvements, and if the stat bars are unreliable, just how the hell are we supposed to properly evaluate the pros and cons of each loadout?

there are no hard numbers in this game aside from hard testing, which some people have done. in the end you just make a loadout, change it up a bit depending on your tastes and see what works best for you, there is no "best" loadout.

8. Any special reason why Namco thought Zodiac-themed jets were a good idea? I swear I'm not criticizing; it just seems like a weird theme to use when there are so many more available...

ask bamco

9. Is the datalink perk you choose always "on", or only when you're connected to a teammate?

only when you're connected to a teammate

10. What exactly are the full effects of ECM on enemies??

no idea i've never used ecm before, i think it just prevents missile lock and disables all enemy missiles in the air while the ecm is active.

you have a pretty interesting gaming history to believe there's so many hidden stats and shit in this game

Kamiyoda

Kamiyoda

シングルラインの女性

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Plane:F-15S/MT Eagle+

Alright! let's do this

1. Yes, Gold Crates are random, Forced Sorties give you 3 individual chances for a gold crate.

2. Attackers do more damage against ground targets and less against air targets, it's the inverse with Fighters.

3. Yes they exist, at least as far as the attacker damage reduction bonus goes.

4. You're friend is mistaken, Campaign missions have always given out the same pay they do now.

5. Just hold Triangle, the Camera will lock for you.

6. Not really

7. Oh boy.... it really depends on the stat, but for the most part they are a fair indicator. Just don't expect a part to increase a stat that it increases unless it specifically says so. Um.. I mean like the Link Com. part. The stat bars show it increases damage, but it actually doesn't.

8. No clue

9. Only when connected

10. Enemy missiles can't lock on to you, and any missiles in route will lose their lock immediately.

Edited by Kamiyoda, 28 April 2015 - 04:18 PM.

botafogo4life

botafogo4life

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

ok...so I've been 100% wrong on datalink...all this time I thought my datalink was always "on" and when I connected to a teammate we "shared" each other's datalink perk, so I was getting TWO boosts (assuming the other guy chose something different)

you have a pretty interesting gaming history to believe there's so many hidden stats and shit in this game

Yeah, I've been gaming for a LONG time (probably too long); at least since the paleo era (which would be circa 1980 in case anyone was wondering)...I know it's not quite the same situation, but I'm used to playing so many FPS games where folks dig into the programming and tell everyone what the *real* weapon damage stats and ROF are, and expose the hidden glitches and secret changes that didn't make the patch notes (I'm looking in your direction, Battlefield 3, GTA V online, and the biggest, most aggravating timesink of a F2P game ever made, DUST 514)

I realize it would never happen, but how much fun/grief would ECM be if it acted like short-range, narrowly focused electromagnetic pulse? (and don't tell me that idea would screw too much with the principles of science after all the other stuff in the game)

I know there has been a lot of discussion/debate over proper jet balance and encouraging teamwork...Seems to me the no-brainer for the next AC would be to moderately nerf jet abilities across the board, add a few more datalink options and massively buff them (and have the ability to reap the benefits from all three teammates assuming they are all alive and in very close proximity), and also maybe further exaggerate the strength of attackers versus ground and fighters versus the air...

Edited by botafogo4life, 28 April 2015 - 05:12 PM.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Yeah, I've been gaming for a LONG time (probably too long); at least since the paleo era (which would be circa 1980 in case anyone was wondering)

i havent been gaming that long, but i wouldnt be surprised if devs back then didnt hesitate to add a lot of hidden stuff that players wouldnt know without thorough experimentation.

games nowadays are pretty clear cut. ace combat devs just NEVER talk to the playerbase about anything, so we have to determine what actually affects what. 

for example, "slightly" and "greatly" are very vague, instead of hard numbers it gives us 3 levels of improvement: "slightly improves", "improves", and "greatly improves". panda made some pictures showing the improvements certain parts actually give with hard data (numbers)

in the end the lack of numbers is frustrating, but im pretty sure most japanese games are like this

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
  • Plane:E-767

1) As far as we know, it's completely random.

2) I have not tested this.

3) Yes they exist, and there has: See the hard numbers thread. Also, it's explained in the expanded aircraft descriptions and in loading screens the pros and sons of each role.

eraTRzJ.gif

VqcjR0W.gif

4) No, they've always been shit.

5) Just hold triangle. Don't camera lock for too long, as you maylose awareness of what's ahead of you, or pursuing you.

It's such a habit that I even accidentally hold triangle in AC1 and 2, which don't have that feature.

6) The 4 mil jets probably aren't worth upgrading. They're in the same tier as the ADF-01, and only marginally better than the much cheaper X-02, and probably even Akula.

7) Not a very accurate representation of plane performance.

• Speed is an overall stat for acceleration, top speed, and braking.
  • Mobility is overall stat for pitch, roll, and yaw.
  • Stability, as far as I know, is stall speed. I wouldn't be surprised if it also controlled drift.
  • Attack Damage stats are all fudged up: Damage, homing, reload, missile speed, range, lock-on speed, and somehow stealth are among the things that can affect it.
  • Defense also isn't consistent. Attackers and Fighters can have similar grades of defense, but attackers are beefier.
  • Sp.W Damage is more straight-forward, and are fairly consistent across weapons, but it's also increased by Propulsion parts.
  • Sp.W Homing is an overall stat for the weapon's field-of-view and turning capability.
  • Sp.W Lock-On Range is consistent across weapons.
  • Sp.W Damage Range (explosion) stopped being consistent since the great rebalancing of 1.6
  • Sp.W Reload is fairly consistent.
  • And then everything falls apart even more when you add parts to it, because their stat bar boosts are inconsistent with their actual improvements.

9) No, it's only active when you link up. You also only get the effects of your datalink, not the player you are linked with. Links also are not always mutual. You can link up with a teammate who's already linked up with someone else.

10) Disables lock-on abilities, and stops homing missiles already fired from tracking.

i havent been gaming that long, but i wouldnt be surprised if devs back then didnt hesitate to add a lot of hidden stuff that players wouldnt know without thorough experimentation.

games nowadays are pretty clear cut. ace combat devs just NEVER talk to the playerbase about anything, so we have to determine what actually affects what. 

for example, "slightly" and "greatly" are very vague, instead of hard numbers it gives us 3 levels of improvement: "slightly improves", "improves", and "greatly improves". panda made some pictures showing the improvements certain parts actually give with hard data (numbers)

in the end the lack of numbers is frustrating, but im pretty sure most japanese games are like this

It does sneak into some western developed games, but they're mainly in games that are designed to be easy to get into, but the gameplay mechanics just can't be as simple.

The main Pokemon RPG series is probably the best example: There are some ridiculous mathematical formulas behind all the RNGs in the game, and the whole hardcore scene works by manipulating hidden stats (literally called Hidden Values and Initial Values by the community) which were originally intended to make every pokemon unique. This is a game that's so simple children can get into it.

In ACI's case, using vague words is probably the best option. It would be easier to give hard numbers if the changes are constant (e.g. Prop part always increases missile speed by x%), but you get diminished returns the closer you are to the stat caps.

sOdyBK0.jpg

botafogo4life

botafogo4life

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

11. Aside from just screwing around, is there ever a reason to use that part which gives you extra points on your rescue bonuses? I can't imagine the benefit being that great, and 99% of the time there is something much more useful to put in your precious part slots...

12. Is the damage inside a bomb "circle" constant or does it get weaker the farther you get from center, or does that depend on the type of bomb?

Edited by botafogo4life, 29 April 2015 - 01:52 PM.

3m4nu3l3

3m4nu3l3

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

11. Aside from just screwing around, is there ever a reason to use that part which gives you extra points on your rescue bonuses? I can't imagine the benefit being that great, and 99% of the time there is something much more useful to put in your precious part slots...

12. Is the damage inside a bomb "circle" constant or does it get weaker the farther you get from center, or does that depend on the type of bomb?

11 More points, simple. Considered that many early planes don't have enough slots to fill the seven part available, you could put that in the misc parts.
12 I think it's constant.

Falken Hunter

Falken Hunter

Pilot of the Hi-Nu Gundam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Plane:CFA-44 Nosferatu

12. Is the damage inside a bomb "circle" constant or does it get weaker the farther you get from center, or does that depend on the type of bomb?

11. More points for rescue bonus means more points towards your total points, it's fine if you're a ground pounder since ground targets tend to fight back more than air targets.

12. Bomb/LAGM/LASM damage is constant inside the radius, all targets inside receive the same damage. Save for FAEB's, tanks take 2 bombs to kill while other yellows take 1. Not sure how other targets fare against FAEB.

ChrisZero7

ChrisZero7

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

Depends what level FAEB's are.

I have them at level 3 on my Greg Gates (level 5), orange & yellows take 1 bomb, reds take 2 bombs….despite if they are within the splash range or taking the bomb alone. (disregarding if the FAEB enhancing part is involved - which I haven't tried yet)

Edited by ChrisZero7, 29 April 2015 - 03:30 PM.

Kamiyoda

Kamiyoda

シングルラインの女性

• Members
  • 3,919 posts
  • Plane:F-15S/MT Eagle+

orange & yellows take 1 bomb

Oranges yes. Normal tanks no. They'll take 2. Unless something's changed since the last update.

11. More points.

12. I think the only weapon that does this is the MPBM.

Edited by Kamiyoda, 29 April 2015 - 05:32 PM.

3m4nu3l3

3m4nu3l3

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

Oranges yes. Normal tanks no. They'll take 2.

11. More points.

12. I think the only weapon that does this is the MPBM.

Yep, the MPBM does a direct damage on hit on the target plus the DoT (I noticed that the DoT is pretty much the same as the direct hit damage), while all of the other targets in the area suffer only from the DoT.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II
Yes gold crates are completely random the Japanese have a habit of making things on the outside look a lot nicer than what's on the inside.

Nuggz

Nuggz

Salt Master

• Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • Plane:X-29A

Yes gold crates are completely random the Japanese have a habit of making things on the outside look a lot nicer than what's on the inside.

When will bricks be lvl 20. Or possibly a special varient for bricks after almost a whole year of them not having any sp plane

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

When will bricks be lvl 20. Or possibly a special varient for bricks after almost a whole year of them not having any sp plane

mobius 1 f-4 inc

Nuggz

Nuggz

Salt Master

• Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • Plane:X-29A

mobius 1 f-4 inc

Gemini F-4 and Gemini Weasel

burkeomatic

burkeomatic

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
No, we would need a thunderbird f-84 or f-100 that is epic. Or an a-37.

Edited by burkeomatic, 29 April 2015 - 11:49 PM.

VitalEvergreen1

VitalEvergreen1

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

No, we would need a thunderbird f-84 or f-100 that is epic. Or an a-37.

No, No, No, We need an AC-130 we need to add gunships as another class of aircraft. And while we're at it we can add Attack Helicopters that can't do jack because the aircraft is too slow and the map is too big for them.

Edited by VitalEvergreen1, 29 April 2015 - 11:58 PM.

botafogo4life

botafogo4life

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

No, No, No, We need an AC-130 we need to add gunships as another class of aircraft. And while we're at it we can add Attack Helicopters that can't do jack because the aircraft is too slow and the map is too big for them.

Battlefield 3?

Other questions:

13.  My eyes may have been fooling me, but I'd swear this happened -- In the lobby, I saw a player's MR change before my eyes from 1582 to 1589...Was the game really laggy in updating it for him, or are MR updates in the lobby common and I've never noticed them until now??

14.  How the hell does this happen?  Playing NTDM, close match down to the wire, and the enemy has like 3 HP left while we have like 10-12 left...I respawn, dive straight down for the last enemy ship with a smidgen of health left and blow it up, then I see the green 'YOU WIN' banner on my screen, the host (on the other team) spams out his taunt message on the chat channel and I do the same, since I singlehandedly carried my team to victory...Except we DIDN'T win?! Because on the points tally screen the game said we lost 100-95...Any explanation for this?

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Battlefield 3?

Other questions:

13.  My eyes may have been fooling me, but I'd swear this happened -- In the lobby, I saw a player's MR change before my eyes from 1582 to 1589...Was the game really laggy in updating it for him, or are MR updates in the lobby common and I've never noticed them until now??

14.  How the hell does this happen?  Playing NTDM, close match down to the wire, and the enemy has like 3 HP left while we have like 10-12 left...I respawn, dive straight down for the last enemy ship with a smidgen of health left and blow it up, then I see the green 'YOU WIN' banner on my screen, the host (on the other team) spams out his taunt message on the chat channel and I do the same, since I singlehandedly carried my team to victory...Except we DIDN'T win?! Because on the points tally screen the game said we lost 100-95...Any explanation for this?

if you skip all the box openings and go back to the lobby faster than everybody else you can sometimes see MR ratings change

i cant explain the second one

Edited by Aquavolt, 30 April 2015 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users