Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What's the best mission order to enjoy ACX?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II

I thought this would be a fun mental challenge, to figure out what the mission order should be if the game was ever remastered and if in the new version the mission order was preset.

The idea being that instead of making the player choose the order himself, it would have a specific order for the first play through. The second play through would be designed to cover as many missions as possible that were not in the first play through, with a third playthrough also included if necessary.

Here are some of the principles I figure should be abided by when choosing what the order for the first playthrough should be:
- The longer (more missions) the better.
- However, blatant repetition should be avoided. Obviously a single playtrhough shouldn't have both In Pursuit I and In Pursuit II, for example.
- The play through should probably be something that you can replicate in the original game. This is because ACX does such a good job in the way all the missions affect each other. If you have multiple missions where you kill the Miller unit, for example, it wouldn't really make sense.
- Difficult (in a gimmicky way) or "annoying" missions should be avoided the first time around. Examples include 7C Time Limit, 9B Diversion, and 11B In Pursuit II.

Problem is I don't have memorized all the possible mission sequences and what order they must triggered. So to makes things easier I will go through in numerical order and give my two cents.

Spoiler

Edited by rockshard, 28 December 2014 - 02:31 AM.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

1A->2A->3A->4A->6A->5B->7A->8A->10A->9B->11A->12C->14A->13B->15B

Most painless mission path IMO, the one I took first time around.  

F-4E will carry you from missions 1-7, Fregata and Cariburn will take you through missions 8-12, and then the YF-23 the rest of the way. 15B is MUCH easier than 15A.

Not sure about the path on Ace, since I cheated and did the final mission with a Falken because with any other plane on Ace it would be a headache, and I just wanted that damn Fenrir!

I also find 12C quite easy, just destroy ground targets in the beginning and then destroy missile launchers and you're done! It also lasts quite long. If you want a challenge, don't go through 11A.

Edited by CarrierBuzzard, 27 December 2014 - 09:15 AM.

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

I don't agree with skipping Ice Bound. This felt like one of the more distinct missions in the entire series.

I think I remembered another reason why 4A rules. It is the only level in the entire game with weather effects. Playing this level is mandatory.

What causes the laser weapon in Griswall to go away? Because if it's Joint Operation then that mission doesn't make the cut. If I remember correctly, my first ever playthrough was 9A Blitz, 11A In Pursuit, and immediately to Griswall. The reason I wonder this is because I remember getting the laser version my first time, so now the other version feels rather pathetic as a result.

You skipped 12A and 12B.. I did not realize this was possible. I assumed 12C was part of the next arc, just like 3B and 7C.

p.s. I have two copies of the game, and I did a quick playthrough on each just to make sure each copy works. But I used F-4, JA-37, F-22, and lastly TND for the final mission. The game is pretty easy on Normal (until the last mission. That was not so easy) so a lot of the aircraft are not needed. But I started on a fresh save file, so I did not have access to all aircraft.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Squad:765th Air Division
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

For me, I would go in this order :

1>2>3A>6A>3B>4B>5B>7A>9A>8B>10A>11A>12A>13A>14B>15A

IMO, this is a classic ACX playthrough if you want a lot of things to be unlocked on the first playthrough.

Chopper15

Chopper15

Playing without trash-talking has no sense at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Squad:345th TFW 'Lancers'
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle
1>2>3A>4A>6A>5B>7A>9A>8B>10A>11A>12A>13A>14B>15A

That's my favorite route in ACX, first of all because it's easier than others, and are sort of my favorite missions.

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
okay, I started ACX back up again and attempted my order suggestion for the first time. Here are my two cents so far.

4A Last Line of Defense
Yes it has weather, and it looks cool, but the SOUND of the rain is kind of annoying. Its like an old TV set to static, which you can't turn off. It persists for the whole mission. But, I noticed that it goes away at higher altitude and gets louder the closer you are to the ground. I'm not sure if that genius or annoying. There's another problem with this mission though, its easy to fail if you defeat a ground convoy and fail to notice that another one appears, since they appear well out of your range. And consequently, it means the mission mostly involves flying back and forth across the map. But if I dump 4A then it means I can give 4B and even 3B another look.

6B Ice Bound
This mission met my expectations for the most part but I noticed some flaws. Primarily the fact that in one particular line of dialogue, the Naiad dude says "they" when referring to themselves, rather than "we" or even "I". Just reminds you these are just voice actors reading into a mic with no idea what the game is about. Another issue is the fact the Naiad guy even becomes a totally different person when you destroy the iceberg but then he turns back to normal afterwards. Its like they had to write-in an extra line of dialogue but ended up having to cast someone else to do it.

Turns out skipping 6A makes the final Gleipnir fight shorter. It no longer turns upside down. The destroy-the-city run replaces it, but I have to say it is much cooler so its probably worth it.

also...

..holy smokes does this game play surprisingly well with novice controls! My entire life is a lie. >_>

Edited by rockshard, 29 December 2014 - 09:05 AM.

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
ok just now I did:
5A, 4B, 3B, 7B

which is pretty good. but I wonder if it would be better to do:
6A, 5B, 4B, 3B, 7A
assuming its possible. I'm not sure of the exact order.

Anyway, I moved ahead to the second arc. (Griswall campaign) Already found the best order, which is:
9A, 8B, 11A, 10B, 12B

at first I tried picking 8A. Bad idea. This leaves you with only two choices afterwards: 9B and 10A. Problem is 9B is a terrible mission, and 10A turns to meson cannon into a pea shooter. AND it moves units into mount nevera, presumably turning it into 11B. So 8A is like a massive catalyst of fail.

also, a side note, 4B is a great mission to have. The game is called Skies of Deception after all. Also, 8B has the exploding fuel cars that destroy adjacent vehicles. How can you not have that? That has to go in!

Edited by rockshard, 29 December 2014 - 03:37 PM.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

:Problem is 9B is a terrible mission, 

It truly is. I think its the hardest mission to S-rank.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,456 posts
I S-Ranked 9B on my first try, same on Ace. It's really not that difficult or a hard mission. All you need is an aircraft with LAGM (MiG 1.44 or F-16C will do) and stay behind the helicopters. Just snipe the RPGs once they appear on radar with the LAGM. If you run out, you will have to be more careful, but both planes are relatively fast so it shouldn't be any issue.

BlazerAaron99

BlazerAaron99

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I S-Ranked 9B on my first try, same on Ace. It's really not that difficult or a hard mission. All you need is an aircraft with LAGM (MiG 1.44 or F-16C will do) and stay behind the helicopters. Just snipe the RPGs once they appear on radar with the LAGM. If you run out, you will have to be more careful, but both planes are relatively fast so it shouldn't be any issue.

I do remember the MiG 1.44 being quite fast but not the F-16C

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

I S ranked it with a Cariburn on Ace difficulty. And I used XLAAs, so I had to take down RPGs with my regular missiles. Either way, trail behind the choppers the best you can and memorize the spawn patterns.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,456 posts

I S ranked it with a Cariburn on Ace difficulty. And I used XLAAs, so I had to take down RPGs with my regular missiles. Either way, trail behind the choppers the best you can and memorize the spawn patterns.

Or you could pretty much do that:

I do remember the MiG 1.44 being quite fast but not the F-16C

All planes in ACX unless you are an attacker can reach a decent speed. Just gotta hold down them trigger.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Or you could pretty much do that:

All planes in ACX unless you are an attacker can reach a decent speed. Just gotta hold down them trigger.

The issue there is not just reaching the targets, but really reaching them at the right time. You do it too soon and you'll have to turn around.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,456 posts

The issue there is not just reaching the targets, but really reaching them at the right time. You do it too soon and you'll have to turn around.

Yeah, that.

ThirstierRug19

ThirstierRug19

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Alect Squadron. That is all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users