Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Mission 18+: Is AWACS Thunderhead the unseen jammer plane?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

ThirstierRug19

ThirstierRug19

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
So today, I was playing mission 18+ 8492, the mission where several formations of Belkan fighters aided by their E-767s try to assasinate Wardog Squadron shortly after they helped Osean ground forces capture Cruik Fortress, the last defense line for Yuktobania before their capital of Cinigrad. The unseen jammer plane continues to jam your radar, no matter what you do. Is it possible, that AWACS Thunderhead was behind the jamming of Wardog Squadron?

I have two reasons as to why I believe Thunderhead was jamming Wardog Squadron:

1. This is the biggest reason: in past missions, whenever Wardog Squadron's comms were being jammed, Thunderhead would say "ECCM! Restore communication link!". In this mission, however, he doesn't say it, possibly because HE was doing the jamming.
2. It's far-fetched, but I think that Thunderhead was threatened by Grabacr and Ofnir to follow their orders or else. This can also explain why he follows orders unquestioningly. The first two missions, I think Grabacr's leader Ashley Bernitz wanted his old nemesis Heartbreak One to die, so that's maybe why he ordered Thunderhead to tell Wardog Squadron to hold their fire confronted with unknown fighters crossing into Sand Island airspace.

Either way, I will always regard Thunderhead as a brain numbing pain in the ass SOB. Suck it Thunderhead!

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
Again, I haven't played AC5 (or any PS2 AC for that matter) in years but your speculation could very well be correct.

Thunderhead is quite a prick though. RIP in pieces, shithead.

Edited by CarrierBuzzard, 14 October 2014 - 05:23 PM.

Yellow 5

Yellow 5

Battle-Seasoned Nugget Leader -Extra Crispy-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

No, I don't think it's possible, however, I don't like him anyway. XD

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • 3,137 posts

1. This is the biggest reason: in past missions, whenever Wardog Squadron's comms were being jammed, Thunderhead would say "ECCM! Restore communication link!". In this mission, however, he doesn't say it, possibly because HE was doing the jamming.

Perhaps he was trying to establish a communication link and the E-767 you had the option to attack was the one jamming. Even then, there'd probably be another one outside the combat area.

2. It's far-fetched, but I think that Thunderhead was threatened by Grabacr and Ofnir to follow their orders or else. This can also explain why he follows orders unquestioningly. The first two missions, I think Grabacr's leader Ashley Bernitz wanted his old nemesis Heartbreak One to die, so that's maybe why he ordered Thunderhead to tell Wardog Squadron to hold their fire confronted with unknown fighters crossing into Sand Island airspace.

From the sound of it, it seems that he was fooled into believing that the Wardoge were traitors, just like Perrault was. 

Xpand

Xpand

DUN DUN DUUUN

• Members
  • 3,117 posts

There was a special plane in the mission: A jammer Tornado. That's where the fake comms might have come from.

Kamiyoda

Kamiyoda

シングルラインの女性

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Perhaps he was trying to establish a communication link and the E-767 you had the option to attack was the one jamming. Even then, there'd probably be another one outside the combat area.

From the sound of it, it seems that he was fooled into believing that the Wardoge were traitors, just like Perrault was. 

I wish we could talk to him sometime after the whole thing was revealed. Hate to leave a friendship on such a bad note.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • 3,137 posts

I wish we could talk to him sometime after the whole thing was revealed. Hate to leave a friendship on such a bad note.

Thunderhead a shit. I hated him as an AWACS.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Thunderhead was a fucking prick. We were NOT friends.

If Skyeye, than yes.

Edited by Yellow 13, 15 October 2014 - 06:58 AM.
If you were talking about another member, this would draw a warn point. It's only a game, guy....

Yellow 5

Yellow 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

I agree, I don't like Thunderhead, but most of that came from the fact that he(they?) disregarded evidence that pointed out that you were innocent.

Also, who the hell was "Thunderhead"? Wouldn't that refer to the whole crew? Or just the radio operator that we hear?

Kamiyoda

Kamiyoda

シングルラインの女性

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Thunderhead was afucking prick. We were NOT friends.

If Skyeye, than yes.

Thunderhead a shit. I hated him as an AWACS.

:blink:  :wacko: Geez...

Well he was my friend at least...(Though honestly that's not really an accomplishment)

Edited by Kamiyoda, 14 October 2014 - 08:35 PM.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

:blink: :wacko: Geez...

Well he was my friend at least...(Though honestly that's not really an accomplishment)

Why? All he did was boss Chopper around and ruined all the fun, then believed the calumny about MUH WARDOG SQUADRON.

Edited by CarrierBuzzard, 14 October 2014 - 08:50 PM.

Kamiyoda

Kamiyoda

シングルラインの女性

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Why? All he did was boss Chopper around and ruined all the fun, then believed the calumny about MUH WARDOG SQUADRON.

http://tvtropes.org/...triolicBestBuds

ThirstierRug19

ThirstierRug19

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

It is possible that there was another unseen jammer outside the map. However, the point I made about Grabacr and Ofnir manipulating Thunderhead like a puppet was based on my theory of the Grey Mens' plans: to pit Osea and Yuktobania into a catastrophic war, with Belka selling them weapons in order to profit from the war themselves. They wanted a never-ending war, and Wardog's taking of Cruik Fortress possibly prompted the Grey Men to threaten Thunderhead into leading Wardog Squadron into an ambush.

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

http://tvtropes.org/...triolicBestBuds

didn't click.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Also, who the hell was "Thunderhead"? Wouldn't that refer to the whole crew? Or just the radio operator that we hear?

I believe it would refer to all Battle Operators (not radio operators, haven't had those since the early Cold War.  Back then we were Weapons Controllers.) aboard and working.   You do realize that it's not all just one person IRL, right?

For example, our Region Control Center's Weapons Control teams all used the callsign Arizona Pete, followed by their assigned team and number, e.g.,  Arizona Pete Three-Two, for the second position on the third team.     In the AWACS, it would likely be Thunderhead Two-Three, or something similar, if they ran more than one team.  

Yellow 5

Yellow 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

I believe it would refer to all Battle Operators (not radio operators, haven't had those since the early Cold War.  Back then we were Weapons Controllers.) aboard and working.   You do realize that it's not all just one person IRL, right?

For example, our Region Control Center's Weapons Control teams all used the callsign Arizona Pete, followed by their assigned team and number, e.g.,  Arizona Pete Three-Two, for the second position on the third team.     In the AWACS, it would likely be Thunderhead Two-Three, or something similar, if they ran more than one team.  

Thanks, and yes I know it isn't one person IRL, but I didn't know too much beyond that.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I'm really just extrapolating from my own experience in the field.   AWACS was just coming in as I was leaving, so I don't know any more specifics than anyone could research online, but procedures don't tend to change that fast, and Surveillance and Weapons were pretty structured as to operating procedures..

SlyCooperFan1

SlyCooperFan1

Acepedia Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

This would make sense if you completely ignored the fact that Osea shooting down unknown fighters that could have ended up to be from an allied nation would be a horrible incident to leak to the press. Of course they held their fire until being fired upon; wouldn't they in real life?

Either way, I will always regard Thunderhead as a brain numbing pain in the ass SOB. Suck it Thunderhead!

You sure this isn't clouding your judgment? :P

ThirstierRug19

ThirstierRug19

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

I understand that Osea shooting down unidentified fighters would be horrible if it leaked to the press. But then again, why didn't the SR-71 respond to Wardog's surrender request to ID itself and follow their orders to land? If it wasn't there for hostile intent the plane should have responded to the surrender request. The SR-71 called for backup. But I agree with you on Wardog holding fire unless fired upon. My theory that AWACS Thunderhead was forced to cooperate with Grabacr and Ofnir was just a theory.

My latter quote about me saying that Thunderhead was a SOB wasn't complete full-on hate. I hate annoying-as-hell AWACSs like Magic in AH, who took over after Kingmaster's murder. I just don't like the way he follow orders COMPLETELY without question. In Final Option, he seems to almost immediately regard Wardog Squadron as traitors, never completely questioning why they are "traitors" except when asking 8492nd's leader if they are traitors. After Wardog loses the 8492nd, Thunderhead says "traitors" unflinchingly like he has accepted it.

ThirstierRug19

ThirstierRug19

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

This would make sense if you completely ignored the fact that Osea shooting down unknown fighters that could have ended up to be from an allied nation would be a horrible incident to leak to the press. Of course they held their fire until being fired upon; wouldn't they in real life?

You sure this isn't clouding your judgment? :P

I agree with you that Osea shooting down unknown fighters that were from an allied country is a horrible story to leak. But then again, in Shorebirds, why didn't the Blackbird respond back to Wardog's surrender request? Also, the fighters later into the mission didn't even TRY to make contact with Wardog Squadron, instead opting to fire on them, prompting Wardog to shoot back. I agree with holding fire unless fired upon, though.

My latter quote about Thunderhead being an SOB isn't blind hate. I hate annoying AWACS controllers like AH's Magic. But I don't like Thunderhead for two reasons: one is mission-based but still a reason. Thunderhead, in the first two missions, orders Wardog to hold their fire, EVEN when the unidentified planes were opening fire first and he STILL keeps ordering them to hold fire. Isn't that suspicious, even a teensy little bit? Second, Thunderhead follow orders BLINDLY WITHOUT QUESTION. He wants you to believe that he's your ally, but when the pro-war Vice President takes over and corrupts the Osean regime, Thunderhead follows their orders WITHOUT QUESTION, even nearly straight-up believing that Wardog Squadron are Yuktobanian spies