Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How to be Cool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,162 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Okay ACS, I know what you're wondering. "How could I possibly be any cooler? I'm the coolest kind of cool! What could you possibly stand to teach me?"

I'mma tell you, but first, you can never be too cool. The very concept of "too cool" is an error in category. And second, being cool is one thing, but to be hella rad? You gotta work for it.

"And you're gonna tell me how to do that?"

Damn straight I am. Let's get to it.

So the first thing you gotta know about being cool is how to shitpost.

"Right on, I'm great at shitposting!"

Nah man, lemmee finish. Lots of people try to shitpost, but don't you know what gets them? They punch down. Punching down isn't just a shitty thing to do, it's also not very funny.

"Oh I know. But look, this guy over here, he's being a total dipshit! It's an open invitation!"

Yoooo, that's exactly what I'm talking about, don't do that. Anyone can point out a barely comprehensible post that's obviously wrong. It's really boring, man. I look at half of the stuff that gets posted here and yawn.

"But...I'm getting likes for it!"

Aww, I know you're a strawman, but really? Think about it, who are you getting those likes from? The other dumbasses on this site? "Wow, three whole people clicked the green arrow, this completely validates my being a shit!" Lame. As. Hell. At least you'd better make sure you're not pissing off more people than you're entertaining.

"Hey, if I'm pissing anyone off, they have it coming. I don't pick on people just to pick on them."

Man, being a tryhard isn't cool. It's inherently uncool. You jump on every single thing, and you look like you got an R-27 up your ass all the time. You gotta pick your fights.

And that actually brings me to my next point. Seal clubbing.

"Fuck seal clubbing."

Yeah, fuck the seal clubbing.

But you know what also sucks? Creating an atmosphere so acerbic that it drives away good people too.

"Buuuuuuulshit KB, if you're not a seal clubber, you've got nothing to worry about."

Yo, I've got a full inbox of messages from people telling me otherwise. You think people are gonna walk in and see us yelling and clawing at each other about some f2p game nobody's ever heard of and say "man, these guys are awesome!"

Nah, they're gonna walk in and say "man, these guys are assholes!"

So tell me, what's the reason why seal clubbing sucks?

"Because it drives off new players. Pound them into the ground enough, and they don't come back. We need them to keep the game alive."

Yeah, and what do you think we're doing by being shits all the time? Making them cookies and milk?

"Look, I'm not gonna be nice to damn seal clubbers!"

You don't have to be happy with them, but if you wanna be cool, damn right you're gonna be nice to them.

"That is the definition of tone policing."

Tone policing applies when it silences marginalized viewpoints and invalidates feelings. Damn straight I'm tone policing you about seal clubbing, that's literally my job as a mod.

I'm just saying, it's not cool yelling at people all the time.

"You expect me to just ignore them?"

Can you change them?

"Maybe, maybe not. But who are you to tell me that I can't yell at people who are obviously wrong and probably stupid? I don't need to be able to change them, I'm inherently justified."

Nah man, you got it all wrong. I don't think you're justified, but I don't even have to go there.

"Are you blind, KB? Of course I'm justified."

Alright, so let's say you're justified. Let's say it's totally chill to yell at people who are wrong and possibly stupid on those grounds alone. And you know what? Doesn't even matter, none of it. You're still doing all the other uncool shit. You're still driving people away, and you're still being a tryhard. Just because you're justified doesn't mean those other things go away.

If I never left a tip, I'd be perfectly justified in doing so insofar as it's permissible and I don't need any other reason, but I'd still be an asshole of colossal proportions.

"You sure are putting me to sleep. There's more conflict in an episode of Arthur than in what you're talking about. Conflict's the only thing keeping ACS alive."

Oh I know ACS will never be a paradise where nobody ever argues or gets assmad. I wouldn't want that, anyway. It'd get boring around here.

What I'm saying is that if you wanna be cool, you've got to play it cool. You've got to think before you post. You've got to not be a tryhard all the time.

Or else I'll probably end up putting you on moderator preview.

"Man, that's not cool."

Yeah, sure sucks, doesn't it? Don't make me do it, then.

"Maybe, but I'm not going to play by your rules."

Do what now?

"You think just because I'm a strawman that I'm gonna end this by meekly agreeing with you? I've got more pride than that."

Hey man, it's all good. Just go about your business, you don't have to say anything The fact that you're a strawman means you inherently agree. Every move you make just goes to serve the overall argument, anyway.

"Fuck you, KB. That wasn't cool at all."

I love you too, strawman〜

CarrierBuzzard

CarrierBuzzard

Phantom Phanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II
>I totally knew he was referencing me in a couple of those parts

But anyway Nemo I understand, I hope you enjoy your stay at the wonderful F2P world of ACI.

I'll try and keep a cool head in the future (NOTE: TRY) because there are sometimes some really ignorant posts that I cannot ignore.

I don't have a warning point but if I do get one from doing this what does it mean?

Edited by CarrierBuzzard, 05 September 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Grimace

Grimace

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

You have said it all man.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

But Nemo, grilled food is only good for one day.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,162 posts

Hehe.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know what step two of being cool is as soon as I figure it out.

Yellow 5

Yellow 5

Battle-Seasoned Nugget Leader -Extra Crispy-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Squad:OADF
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle

Yeah! Needs more cool.

3m4nu3l3

3m4nu3l3

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

>get in a fridge.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • 3,147 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern
>Fridge

Nah broski. An industrial size freezer.

Caldari Ghost

Caldari Ghost

Seal Clubbing Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Squad:Best Squad
  • Plane:R-103 Delphinus III

@ Nemo, this is what I think of you:

also I just found this video and I think its awesome:

@ Nemo, I think you should play both videos at the same time.

Edited by Caldari Ghost, 05 September 2014 - 05:31 PM.

DungeonDaughter

DungeonDaughter

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Plane:F-35C Lightning II

When I saw this brand new post, and insta-stickied, initially, I thought, "Oh wow, someone is abusing his mod powers." And then I actually read it, and I have to say it's nice to know at least someone is self-aware around here. And yes, this post deserves to be read all the way through.

I've been following this forum for years, but I never joined, not because I was intimidated by all self-horn tooting, but because my extraocular muscles got sore from all the eye-rolling. I love Ace Combat, and I'm trying to love this forum, but for every amazing post, there's 5 or 6 complete embarrassments, and those kept me away for years.

I'm going to try to tough it out though. Make a new member proud!

And make some new members.

Tongates

Tongates

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Plane:Su-25 Frogfoot

The pursuit of cool is a waste of valuable time. Just being one's self is the important thing.

Compromising myself to obtain acceptance doesn't feel cool.

The whole seal-clubbing thing is an unfortunate part of the human condition. Some are just lacking something in themselves that manifests as seal-clubbing.

All in all, I don't mind a clubber. Just lets me use my best planes at the best of my abilities. Really earning my points the hard way.

Just grateful I don't live with the emptiness of a clubber.

Edited by Tongates, 05 September 2014 - 06:38 PM.

ZerstorungBiscuit

ZerstorungBiscuit

Autism Therapy Chicken

• Banned
  • 3,201 posts
  • Squad:Der Funkmeisters, FA
  • Plane:Rafale M

dZMIdP7.gif

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,162 posts

The pursuit of cool is a waste of valuable time. Just being one's self is the important thing.

Compromising myself to obtain acceptance doesn't feel cool.

The whole seal-clubbing thing is an unfortunate part of the human condition. Some are just lacking something in themselves that manifests as seal-clubbing.

All in all, I don't mind a clubber. Just lets me use my best planes at the best of my abilities. Really earning my points the hard way.

Just grateful I don't live with the emptiness of a clubber.

(Spoiler: none of what I wrote actually has anything to do with being cool. It's an ethics essay in disguise. Shhh)

dZMIdP7.gif

bengals_vburfict55_hushfinger_zpsacb09cb

Tongates

Tongates

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Plane:Su-25 Frogfoot

(Spoiler: none of what I wrote actually has anything to do with being cool. It's an ethics essay in disguise. Shhh)

bengals_vburfict55_hushfinger_zpsacb09cb

I believe it had alot to do with being cool. Haven't met a clubber that didn't think they were cool.

Oh well, maybe your post just went completely over my head.

Valk

Valk

The Man Who Sold The World

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • Squad:Funky Dogs
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

Well obviously. We all know, after all, that it's...

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,162 posts

Well clearly. Only people as lame as we are could possibly be so cool.

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Squad:OADF
  • Plane:F-14E Tomcat 21
The level of shitposting in this thread is rather ironic. Either most people didn't read the first post, or they chose to flat-out ignore it and carry on as usual.

Vega 05

Vega 05

Beater lvl 126

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Squad:Aquila Wing
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

SSDD (Same Shit Different Day)

It sure would be cool to see some people acting cool instead of being straight (...) <- Insert your favorite foul word. 

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

• Global Moderators
  • 7,162 posts

The level of shitposting in this thread is rather ironic. Either most people didn't read the first post, or they chose to flat-out ignore it and carry on as usual.

Oh, shitposting is fine.

It's being a shit that's not.

Hellhound_Rocko

Hellhound_Rocko

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Plane:ASF-X Shinden II

hey KB man, asides of that i think that you confused "cool" (=reacting calm about stuff, either in particular or in general) with "stylish" about most of the time when you used that term related to yourself - i really liked your post!  :P  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users