Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Mysterious Musical Track

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

JOEmega64

JOEmega64

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts

Hello Fellow Aces, 

I've found myself with a bit of a conundrum:

Before Assault Horizon released, I was hungry for information for nearly everything about it, but most specifically the as-of-yet unreleased soundtrack. 

Basically, they only music I had to satiate my desire for the game's OST was the trailer music, and then eventually the "Previews" they posted with the snippets of the OST. 

However, in my rabid search for everything, I found a mysterious track on Youtube entitled "Ace Combat - Assault Horizon - OST Preview." However, the music it contained was NOT what any of the other previews provided. 

It featured the main theme prominently in what felt (and sounded) like what would be music for the final mission or showdown with Markov. 

Now, certainly someone could write it off as some fan production, but this was before the majority of the score was out (Hell, my memory is a bit foggy, but I'd say it even released before the OST snippets) and, more importantly, it contained similar production values to the music within the final product. 

But speaking about the final product, this song was not included. 

The Youtube video with the song was removed ages ago, and my hard drive that contained the ripped track died. But recently, I've reawakened my hard drive and regained the song! 

If you'd like to listen to the song, I'll be happy to e-mail it (it's too big to be attached through here)

Does anyone have any information on it? Has anyone cracked the game's code and found any unused music? 

I'd love to know the story behind it, but the "Ace Combat Official Facebook Page" has yet to get back to me. I might be sending Namco Bandai an e-mail next. 

I figured it'd be worth bringing up here. 

My theory is that it was the original music for the final battle with Markov, but it was replaced with "Mrs. Krista Yoslav."

I also wonder if it has anything to do with this? "During development, Keiki Kobayashi planned to compose a personal song for the "Shark" trailer, tentatively called "Theme of Markov", which was described by Kobayahi as a "representation" of the character's willpower. The song was first announced in a Twitter message from Kazutoki Kono, who later disclosed its cancellation in April 20, 2011."

Either way, perhaps we can figure this thing out?

Hat

Hat

nyoom~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts

If you can upload it to Mediafire or some other filesharing site, that might be a better option than emailing it.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

I assume the development of AH's soundtrack was a bit more difficult than of previous AC's, because that wasn't the only track left behind.

The track in this trailer never saw the light of day either.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

Dropbox works too. If you don't want to do that, you can email me and I'll upload it for you.

I haven't gone out of my way to look for info about ACAH's score, but maybe I'll do some digging on the moonrune speaking part of the web for clues. That ACAH has unused tracks is plausible, but I'm unsure why this in particular might've been leaked (especially if it's unattested anywhere else).

daHawk

daHawk

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

It wasn't this one, was it? this was posted here a few years back. I think someone even reuploaded it with an Ace Combat title to get views or something. It is eerily close to AH's theme, but not the work of Kobayashi. Somebody definitely ripped off of somebody here.

I can recall the 'ace combat: inception' jokes made because of the track's intro.

Edited by daHawk, 21 July 2014 - 06:55 PM.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Shit, that should have been the BGM for the boss fight with Markov at the end.

daHawk

daHawk

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

it's also safe to say this is the Markov theme they were talking about in this trailer. It never made it to the full game.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I guess we know where Infinity got its Su-35 from.  :lol:    I bet we also see Markov skins for both it and the T-50 in the future.

daHawk

daHawk

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

compare to AH's main motif/theme at around 4:54 here:

more distinctively here, at :54

and the into/ending here

and thats enough videos for awhile I think...

Edited by daHawk, 21 July 2014 - 07:34 PM.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

I guess we know where Infinity got its Su-35 from.  :lol:    I bet we also see Markov skins for both it and the T-50 in the future.

Morgan aside, all skins in ACI, be it defaults, alternate skins, or special aircraft, are imported from AH, with a single exception: the Wardog, which is actually a modified version of AH's F-14D Jolly Rogers skin.

Edited by Broth3r, 21 July 2014 - 07:48 PM.

JOEmega64

JOEmega64

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts

It wasn't this one, was it? this was posted here a few years back. I think someone even reuploaded it with an Ace Combat title to get views or something. It is eerily close to AH's theme, but not the work of Kobayashi. Somebody definitely ripped off of somebody here.

I can recall the 'ace combat: inception' jokes made because of the track's intro.

Ah! That's it! 

Unbelievable. 

"Eerily similar" doesn't even begin to cut it. I'm actually a bit disappointed that's not related at all (and not much longer) 

This page has exceeded my expectations for helping to solve this mystery! hah. Thank you, all! 

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,833 posts

Tracks can go through a lot of revisions. If you go to ACZ' ACES WEB page, you can hear sample versions of several ACZ songs. One is the version of Glacial Skies used in the first preview trailer, but another one is a much more percussive version of 'Contact', sounding a lot more like 'Aquilla' from AC04.

Another unused AC track, this time featured both in the OST and Music Player, is '8492' from AC5, which seems to be for an unused mission update in Blind Spot.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

Am I gonna be that guy?

Yeah...probably.

Kobayashi would be a pretty huge stretch. This guy sounds more on the level of Norihiko Hibino, or one of the other dudes they got to do random incidental tracks. Kobayashi basically never structures his tracks by introducing a burden, then layering instruments on it. Listen to what that burden is doing. Not a thing, it's not even a ground bass, that right there is a single note of synth orchestra sample in the composer software.

Kobayashi did occasionally do running scale violins, but never anything this dumb. This Haigh fellow seems to think that the best way to do epic is to have his violins repeat the same phrase at higher and higher octaves. Nor do I think Kobayashi would structure a track of his like generic trailer music. His tracks build much more fluidly. He wouldn't include that sting into silence into that cheesy-ass theme. His transitions are usually driven by percussion and the logic of the track, not out of what seems like some sort of obligation to structure every stupid piece of "epic" music the same way regardless of whether or not it actually works or makes sense.

I...really shouldn't go on, or else this will turn into me ranting about modern commercial production music.

But shit man, don't compare Kobayashi to this hack. It hurts, man.

JOEmega64

JOEmega64

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts

Am I gonna be that guy?

Yeah...probably.

Kobayashi would be a pretty huge stretch. This guy sounds more on the level of Norihiko Hibino, or one of the other dudes they got to do random incidental tracks. Kobayashi basically never structures his tracks by introducing a burden, then layering instruments on it. Listen to what that burden is doing. Not a thing, it's not even a ground bass, that right there is a single note of synth orchestra sample in the composer software.

Kobayashi did occasionally do running scale violins, but never anything this dumb. This Haigh fellow seems to think that the best way to do epic is to have his violins repeat the same phrase at higher and higher octaves. Nor do I think Kobayashi would structure a track of his like generic trailer music. His tracks build much more fluidly. He wouldn't include that sting into silence into that cheesy-ass theme. His transitions are usually driven by percussion and the logic of the track, not out of what seems like some sort of obligation to structure every stupid piece of "epic" music the same way regardless of whether or not it actually works or makes sense.

I...really shouldn't go on, or else this will turn into me ranting about modern commercial production music.

But shit man, don't compare Kobayashi to this hack. It hurts, man.

I don't care if it hurts or not… there's no denying the similarities between it and the AH theme. 

Estovakian

Estovakian

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

I don't care if it hurts or not… there's no denying the similarities between it and the AH theme. 

Eh... not even remotely similar, imo.

Having listened to Kobayashi's works ever since AC5, especially with that "theme" that goes on throughout the series, this other dude just doesn't really come close. It honestly sounds like some generic orchestra chord sample.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Considering I have at least as much experience with the music, I'd say it was remotely possible.

Listen to 'Rebirth' from AH.  It seems very Middle Eastern,  IIRC this was the BGM for the first helicopter gunner mission.  You're wondering what has happened to the Ace Combat you know and love when, at 1:08, all of a sudden you meet an old friend in a new form.  Actually kind of meh, till the horns come in at the end, at about 1:48.  Then it's back to the Mid East, though with more intensity, and you wonder if you will hear it again.....the middle Eastern flavor starts off slow but builds and you can envision the nomadic camps of old, with the houris dancing about the fire.  The dance, and the music grow more and more intense, and you know the climax is coming (to coin a phrase), and at about 5:04 you get a crescendoing chord climb to......(this happens about the time you're up to your ass in targets).

It's not The Unsung War, it's not Zero, it's not Liberation of Gracemeria, but it IS, without a shadow of a doubt, Ace Combat, and it gives you hope for the game, which is unfortunately dashed on the rocks before you ever face Markov over Washington, but that's another discussion for another time..

Point being, if it puts you in mind of Ace Combat there's a reason.  First draft, plagarism, whatever.  That guy got enough of the pieces put together to equal a possibility of Ace Combat. 

As usual, my opinion only.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

To clarify, I did not mean that the progression wasn't different. The progression is quite similar. However, having a similar progression does not imply the track itself is similar. For instance, compare this and this. Same melody, but totally different.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,833 posts

I agree with Nemo; the instrumentation is a clusterfuck of whatever the composer found epic; it's obvious the guy didn't actually write out the score or anything, just sampling stuff that 'sounds cool'.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

To clarify, I did not mean that the progression wasn't different. The progression is quite similar. However, having a similar progression does not imply the track itself is similar. For instance, compare this and this. Same melody, but totally different.

Not sure you got the right examples.   Your first one was, I believe, Cirno's theme (about the only one I recognize, eh?) and the second was completely different.

Granted I only listened long enough to get the melody line, maybe it changes further along.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

Nope, that's The Fantastic Legend of Touno. I dunno, maybe it was clearer to me.

Speaking of Cirno's theme, maybe this and this are better.