Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

PSA: High Scoring Matches, The ACI Community, and You

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
126 replies to this topic

Valk

Valk

The Man Who Sold The World

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts
  • Squad:Funky Dogs
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

Or, "How to Lose Players and Alienate Rookies."

After doing a bit of thinking, I came to the conclusion that I need to make a preemptive warning about pubstomping for the sake of posting high scores in the score sharing thread, which I'm worried will become popular given the AC community's tendency to stroke its own ego at any cost. I'm not talking about going into these rooms and pulling scores in the 50,000-60,000 range, but more specifically 70,000 or 80,000+ in a single mission (especially if no thought was given to the mission clear rank and you manage to still pull a B or something). Here's an example:

hK3gM3L.jpg?1

You should not be getting these scores. Notice how only two other people broke 20K points, and we still only got an A rank despite my "one man air force" antics in a level 9 Strike Eagle? There's a reason for that. I joined this room because it was the only one on Room Search, and the only reason it showed up was because the host put matching rate to no restrictions. The host's matching rate was something around 1470, and everyone but the guy who hit 40K on the other team was under 1700. For comparison, I was at about 1900 at the time I played this match. 

Everyone on both teams was flying mid-tier planes. The most advanced plane on the field besides my Mudhen was an A-10, flown by Alpha team's MVP. I completely outclassed everyone in this room, but ACI's matching system (and a lack of documentation about what matching rate and matching range means) threw a shark in their goldfish pond anyway. 

I disconnected after this match. I felt like a fucking scumbag for doing that to them. Their matching rate gave me a clue as to about how good they were, but I had no way of knowing what level their aircraft were before the match (god knows I've run into a ton of Japanese players in the 1600 range with F-22As). I wasn't going to be the guy who joined a match and played god for the sake of boosting my own score stats at their expense. Once I saw they had no way of keeping up, I felt a responsibility to leave them alone.

Frankly, everyone here should be doing that. In the coming weeks/months, we're going to start noticing a huge gap in aircraft levels compared to those of us who have been playing since launch. If you did any sort of work (read: paid money) during the Mercenary King Tournament, that gap is going to be exponentially larger. It's best for the community to keep playing with similarly-skilled and leveled pilots - a good, well balanced room will have everyone hitting about 30,000-40,000 points with an S rank every time (except on Alps because Alps is terrible). If your games are as lopsided as this, you need to be searching for and restricting your rooms to similar matching rates. Why? Well, first off, everyone generally makes more money from an S rank, including yourself. A good S rank gets as much if not more credits than an A rank where you did exceptionally and nobody else did. 

Beyond that though, there's the matter of not shutting out new players. The main reason I felt horrible about that score above is because there were three friends in that room, all with mics. They were talking about how they had just started, and they were enjoying the game enough that they were (and I quote) "throwing money at it already." These new players, willing to put money into a F2P game, will be the lifeblood of this game and by extension the Ace Combat series for the foreseeable future. If I stayed in that room and basically made it clear that high rank players like myself were going to regularly come into their lobbies and completely stomp them because I've put more money into the game, it's going to shut their wallets pretty damn fast. If you actually care about this franchise, you need to keep that in mind. Don't pull some excuses either about how you're just trying to help them get a B or an A instead of the normal C new players get either. I guarantee you a hard-earned C rank earned by eight new players won't stick in their mind, but a brutal beatdown to the tune of a 60,000 point gap between their Falcon and your Raptor definitely will.

If you are intentionally seeking out low match rate lobbies for the sake of pulling insane scores, it does not mean you are a good pilot. It means you're an asshole. Give the nuggets some breathing room and go seek out a challenge. It'll be better for everyone in the long run.

Edited by Valk, 10 June 2014 - 02:50 AM.

ReaperKallina

ReaperKallina

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Squad:54th TFS 'Spectre'
  • Plane:F-15 ACTIVE

I can agree almost completely wholeheartedly with this (even if I'm currently the one with the biggest "Hey I just stomped you guys" score on the forum atm). I always prefer flying with people of similar rate (or as close to mine as I can find, rank 2000 lobbies are rarer than I'd like), simply because of the much higher likelihood of S ranks and actually S ranking the MDP missions. I can kind of understand why hosts set the rate restriction to no limit, since it helps them fill up faster, but it does also allow people of a particular disposition to come in and stomp everyone.

As for the well-balanced part netting 30-40k a player, that's still not really true. 9/10, there'll be a couple people in the lobby who utterly dominate and shut out the other players (speaking from firsthand experience of being on both sides of the equation more than a few times). I've seen this happen across the board, in a variety of match rate 'classes', as it were. Rate just seems to be an extremely rough guide to player skill- someone could be consistently in the 1600s, while someone is pulling a meteoric rise through the ranks and annihilating every lobby they come across.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  • Plane:A-10A Thunderbolt

If a person really wants a high score they could always run a 4 player lobby. High skill level or not the coms in Infinity are terrible which means more targets are around to shoot, not to mention that at the very least your alienating less players (which can be somewhat fixed by rate restrictions)

kuroi

kuroi

Clockup Flowers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Squad:SMS
  • Plane:T-50 PAK-FA

While someone could possibily spin it as a positive way of awestrucking the newbies to go after the plane you MVPed with or want to go after more advanced aircraft to do better in, I think with the typical person that plays online nowadays will most likelyend up hating the player that is managing to hog up an overwhelming majority of targets and maybe even drop the game instead, never go on ACI again.

Already said it many times, but I'll say it again: It’s not fun if you simply cannot keep up in speed and having almost anything you aim at and try to kill simply swiped away before you. Scaring off potential new players that could actually end up supporting the series further and out of its current hole it’s in is something we do not want at all and cannot afford to do. We already have it hard enough with the sortie fuel system pushing away long time fans of the series.

Kazama Shin

Kazama Shin

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

It happens allready. My rank is currently 1708. MY best plane is a level 9 Tomcat, but I retired that for now, since I have the option to upgrade it to LV 10 allready, but must earn credits. So I fly a LV 4 Hornet for now. Normaly I try to stick to rooms with at least 1600 points. But when I am in, I constantly see players join with 1900 to 2100 Points-. As soon as that happens, most of the other players leave the room faster than a roadrunner.  There are currently waiting times of 10 minutes or more before a match starts. That is not really fun you know.

ZoaKaizer

ZoaKaizer

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts

where can i see the "matching rate" ?

somehow i missed or didn't realized there is a a "matching rate" when i enter the room

kuroi

kuroi

Clockup Flowers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Squad:SMS
  • Plane:T-50 PAK-FA

It happens allready. My rank is currently 1708. MY best plane is a level 9 Tomcat, but I retired that for now, since I have the option to upgrade it to LV 10 allready, but must earn credits. So I fly a LV 4 Hornet for now. Normaly I try to stick to rooms with at least 1600 points. But when I am in, I constantly see players join with 1900 to 2100 Points-. As soon as that happens, most of the other players leave the room faster than a roadrunner.  There are currently waiting times of 10 minutes or more before a match starts. That is not really fun you know.

I was hosting a match earlier with my 2,000+ matching rate and had it on standard. Not on Wide/Widest/No Restrictions.

People with like 1,600 can join in with no problem. I let them play anyway, but of course against like really high level T-50/F-35/F-22/Su-34/F-2A/F-15E they really struggle to rack up points.

where can i see the "matching rate" ?

somehow i missed or didn't realized there is a a "matching rate" when i enter the room

It's the number next to the colored bars that shows your connection to the host. Or just check your stats, should be around there somewhere.

Edited by kuroi, 10 June 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Kazama Shin

Kazama Shin

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

I was hosting a match earlier with my 2,000+ matching rate and had it on standard. Not on Wide/Widest/No Restrictions.

People with like 1,600 can join in with no problem. I let them play anyway, but of course against like really high level T-50/F-35/F-22/Su-34/F-2A/F-15E they really struggle to rack up points.

It's the number next to the colored bars that shows your connection to the host. Or just check your stats, should be around there somewhere.

Well. I currently am developing the F/A18 and the upper tree to ultimately achieve the T50.

Porblem is also people start allready to kick players if their rank is higher than theirs. I was in some 1600 Matches with my then 1660 and got kicked constantly. Not really fun. When the gaps raise I think there will be a serious problem to even find rooms to play.

MTD

MTD

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Plane:XR-900 Geopelia

from the AC FB page, two different points of view:

1. "The matchmaking for online multiplayer is shocking! I enjoy playing but due to real life commitments I cannot play as much as other players who obviously play on it day and night, endlessly pumping money in to it, as a result I'm finding increasingly difficult to enjoy the game when wallet warriors steam in and destroy everything before anybody else gets a whif!

Yesterday a player entered a room with over 1900 rank points and a massively modified F-22. Now what chance did the rest of us have with our A-10's f-14's and other reasonably acquired assets??

By any measure I'm not saying its wrong, anybody has the right to spend money on this game as they wish, in fact the future of this game depends on people spending a bit of cash...

All I ask is that simply the matchmaking is made more equal so Johnny Wallet and his F-22 can only enter matches with similar like minded players with ludicrous rank scores and monstrous aircraft considering the games age.
"

2. "Got Moby Dick Pursuit 2 after S ranking two missions in a row, guess we were lucky, fact was we have in our group a player with a T-50 and other with a F-22 wracking havock, so perhaps that helped."

My, briefly considered, opinion:

It's a team game; and a lot of the action depends on people using the rights tools to match their own skills and approaches. Why resent another player for having the big gun and trying to clean up? At least if you do your best to help them you will get a better haul of credits and progress than mucking along slowly on your own or with lesser players.

I have more apprehension towards a player with a similar level machine and matching rate to mine than those which are significantly higher; I know what to expect from the whales and sharks, and if they don't perform then it's their loss not mine.

And it takes less time to change room than endure undesirable rounds with undesirable teammates.

Edited by MTD, 10 June 2014 - 11:12 AM.

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack
>it's a team game
Haha. No, it's not. With pubs, it's a race to see who kills the most. How can you call it a team game when you have guys on the same team fighting over a single target?

Nobody likes a jackass who sweeps everything around the room and leave bits of scraps behind for seven other people to fight over. If I wanted to fly around while being useless because all the targets are dead, free flight is right there, and I don't even have to use stacked fuel for it. It's counterproductive in many ways and you're going to end up with nothing but whales after driving off everyone else.

ITT: It's a game. I want to have fun. If you come in trying to be a jackass who ruins the fun for everyone, you can kindly fuck off.

In regards to the OP though. I personally think it would be fine to play in unrestricted rooms if you understand that taking all the kills is a dick move and just run around doing a fair share of the work while leaving enough stuff for other people to have fun with. Either that or just hop in a low level plane and play as usual. That L10 Mudhen isn't going to level up any further anyway.

ichaos_mecp

ichaos_mecp

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

If I was not already addicted to the series before now, then what Valk says would probably be true from a newcomers perspective.

As it is though, I also tend to agree with what MTD says.

There are pros & cons to playing with drastically more well equiped team members, but I think it balances out alright in the end. What would really be lame is if it was possible to pick your team and you had a squad of 1900s totally ruining it for a flight of rookies. Fortunately they weren't foolish enough to make that on option, or I might never play this game again.

Edited by ichaos_mecp, 10 June 2014 - 11:18 AM.

Argonaut

Argonaut

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Plane:MiG-31M Foxhound-B

This is the case with all F2P Games.. in Planetside 2 if you do a one-man takeover against level 4s who haven't paid a dime, chances are they're gonna feel pathetic after being held off for 10 mintues by one guy.

However, I do not find this the case as much as i've played the rest of the Ace Combats and can still do decent with a Level 3 F-16 DR..

But the amount of money you have to pay to get to the top is absurd, too incremental and I do not think a membership option would solve this because people could play all day and night and clear the Research board out in a day's Playtime. So how are we going to solve it? Flood the game with past content, do triple the amount of those "get fuel for participating in xxxx!" so that you can play consistently and make the Tournament system fair for those who don't want to pay £50 for some fuel  (Support the franchise or not, I do not have this amount of spare cash to lob about, I'll just go play all the other AC games I own), etc..? Idk.

MTD

MTD

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Plane:XR-900 Geopelia

>it's a team game
Haha. No, it's not. With pubs, it's a race to see who kills the most. How can you call it a team game when you have guys on the same team fighting over a single target?

I personally think it would be fine to play in unrestricted rooms if you understand that taking all the kills is a dick move and just run around doing a fair share of the work while leaving enough stuff for other people to have fun with. Either that or just hop in a low level plane and play as usual. That L10 Mudhen isn't going to level up any further anyway.

1. If they can't even press triangle to change targets...

2. I agree.

The trait common to both these points is the problem common to online games in general; folks just aint serious enough and have too little tactical awareness and appreciation for planning and communication. You are a hardcore ultra in a niche genre and your perspective is relatively unique, you actually care.

This is the case with all F2P Games.. in Planetside 2 if you do a one-man takeover against level 4s who haven't paid a dime, chances are they're gonna feel pathetic after being held off for 10 mintues by one guy.

However, I do not find this the case as much as i've played the rest of the Ace Combats and can still do decent with a Level 3 F-16 DR..

But the amount of money you have to pay to get to the top is absurd, too incremental and I do not think a membership option would solve this because people could play all day and night and clear the Research board out in a day's Playtime. So how are we going to solve it? Flood the game with past content, do triple the amount of those "get fuel for participating in xxxx!" so that you can play consistently and make the Tournament system fair for those who don't want to pay £50 for some fuel  (Support the franchise or not, I do not have this amount of spare cash to lob about, I'll just go play all the other AC games I own), etc..? Idk.

Agreed, verily.

We also desperately need more maps and missions (more than eight), otherwise there aint gonna be enough fresh air, nevermind fuel, to play with.

Edited by MTD, 10 June 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack

1. If they can't even press triangle to change targets...

2. I agree.

The trait common to both these points is the problem common to online games in general; folks just aint serious enough and have too little tactical awareness and appreciation for planning and communication. You are a hardcore ultra in a niche genre and your perspective is relatively unique, you actually care.

It's not even as complicated as that. It's basic etiquette.

Then again, gamers.

PhantomII

PhantomII

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II

I find it more fun to score high with a low-tier, mid-level plane. Played in one room with a guy that was close to 1600 using a F-14 Zipang and for about 3 matches he was wiping the floor with everyone by 10,000 or better. Then I flew my Lv.4 Phantom and beat his F-14 about 42,000 points to his 40,000 and the people on mics were like",WTH? What just happened?"

Kazama Shin

Kazama Shin

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

I find it more fun to score high with a low-tier, mid-level plane. Played in one room with a guy that was close to 1600 using a F-14 Zipang and for about 3 matches he was wiping the floor with everyone by 10,000 or better. Then I flew my Lv.4 Phantom and beat his F-14 about 42,000 points to his 40,000 and the people on mics were like",WTH? What just happened?"

Well. Had similar situations. I switched fighters constantly to have more fun. but sometimes I use my F14 which I constantly upgraded. The research is complete, but it costs more than 900000 to upgrade it to LV 10. Since I can't do more with it now, I switched to other planes.

ZoaKaizer

ZoaKaizer

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts

does a beginner player will have more credit and experience points  if he was in the same team with top level player who wipe everything, and MVP and won the mission ?  :D

because S-Rank can only be achieved if all enemies are wiped right ?

or the beginner can have more credit and experience point by playing with other matching players ?

Edited by ZoaKaizer, 10 June 2014 - 01:46 PM.

Kazama Shin

Kazama Shin

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

does a beginner player will have more credit and experience points  if he was in the same team with top level player who wipe everything, and MVP and won the mission ?  :D

because S-Rank can only be achieved if all enemies are wiped right ?

or the beginner can have more credit and experience point by playing with other matching players ?

Well. A huge amount of credit is due to mission rank and if you on the winning teams site. Only then comes your performance to the equation.  Problem is even if your have similar leveled players, there used plane can make a decent advantage. I got an F18 LV 5 and my wingman had a Strike Eagle. Since he was much faster than me, I sometimes was a bit too late for the kill he took then. If I use my LV 9 F14, there is hardly a faster plane arround most of the time. So I usually can choose my targets first, going for the red planes most of the time.

ZoaKaizer

ZoaKaizer

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts

i checked my matching rate, and it says my matching rate is around 1500

the highest your matching rate number is it mean you are a top level ?  :D

so if i enter a room with matching rate around 1400, does that mean players there are higher or lower level than me ?

Edited by ZoaKaizer, 10 June 2014 - 10:17 PM.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
  • Squad:156th TFW
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
This seems like the rating system used in another game I occasionally play. If so, 1500 is your starting level. The game assumes you are this good when you start playing the game for the first time.

How you perform determines whether this figure goes up or down.

Simple, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users