Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ACS Rules and Protocols: Proposal for an Update

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Sinner101GR

Sinner101GR

Sins & Saints CEO

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts
  • Squad:Sins & Saints
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

So....uh, why did you post staff stuff publicly? 

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,192 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

Why are staff dealings even private? Unless there's blatant cronyism behind the scenes, what reason is there to hide these discussions? This isn't the Pentagon, after all.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Pardon, please do not reply further until I may respond myself.

I must answer this in two parts. First, I posted the guidelines for warnings so that the discussion would be as productive as possible, and also for the convenience of readers.

I suppose since staff going rogue and posting staff stuff in public simply for the sake of making a statement is not unprecedented, I need to explain myself further. For now, I ask that you trust I am not pulling an AJ.

I am aware that I am in violation of de-facto policy. This policy exists - I presume - for the major reason that some staff discussion and material might be the cause of some drama. This should be pretty obvious. Since it is our job to avoid provoking drama, and rather, ameliorate it, it would behoove us to discuss everything we do in public.

In this case I believe I am fully justified because a) the material involved is not inflammatory or especially provocative, b) it was needed to fully discuss staff policy, and c) I watch this thread very closely and am fully prepared to tamp down any fires that crop up as a result.

I cannot imagine anyone actually getting angry about a document that tells them how they'd be dealt with if they did something stupid. In fact, as I've said before, people are less angry once they know why it is they're being given a warning, not less.

Further, I would've had to have referenced the document anyway if I wanted to discuss the rules and staff policy in any meaningful way. Like, half of what I have to say concerns the document. Even if I hadn't posted it in its entirety, it'd be more or less disclosed piece-by-piece by the time we were done here anyway, simply in the course of discussion. I just made it more convenient for people to cross-reference what I was talking about. So it was the only practical decision.

Second, I moved Y13's post into this thread simply because it was in the wrong thread. The discussion is taking place here, not in the staff forum. Since Y13 brought up some really good points, and some other people made some good counterpoints in response, I think it was the right choice overall.

Besides, wouldn't it be weird if I ran separate discussions with the mod staff and the userbase, when our lack of effective communication of policy is one of the things we're trying to fix? Completely counterproductive.

That said, I do owe an apology to Y13 for not letting him know first. He might've wanted to make changes to it if he knew it'd be seen by everyone else. So yeah, won't do that again.

One last note: You're right to question me though. I am arguing for more accountability for staff actions, after all =P

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
  • Squad:156th TFW
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

For now, I ask that you trust I am not pulling an AJ.

Actually, I see you as more of a Bean.

I thought it was justified

And this is why.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,904 posts
  • Squad:DAS FUNK
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

Also of note, the discussion whether or not this kind of information and discussion should be publicly available is also within the purview of this thread.

And I for one think it should. Most of what's been discussed by all parties so far highlights that smoke and mirrors do no good for the community and raise unnecessary tension between staff and users..

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

Like I said, thank you for holding me accountable for my own actions. This is exactly what I want.

But hey, I'm not like Bean, I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong. I know I'm not perfect, and I'm very willing to hear what you have to say about this. Of course I think I'm right, otherwise I wouldn't have done it, but since I've provided my reasons pretty clearly, if I'm wrong, it should be pretty simple to show why. It's not like this is some personal code, or anything. Lol, can you imagine me doing something like that?

Not trying to be super confrontational or anything. This thread is a bit tense, right? We need to chill and shit.

Anyway, I'm in the process of writing my report to Panda and SkyEye, but maybe I'll hold off. This could be relevant.

FREE THE [email protected] 1

FREE THE [email protected] 1

Local Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified

To increase the transparency of what the mods get up to. Don't worry, this isn't the Wizard of Oz. You won't lose all your powers just because we got a look behind the curtain.

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
  • Squad:FA
  • Plane:F-15SG Eagle

You're all nerds, get a life

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,192 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

Oh. Okay.

Tweak

Tweak

I got my drink, I got my music

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  • Squad:StratMil/Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

Actually, I see you as more of a Bean.

I feel like I actually have to respond to this particular accusation toward KB. In what way is KB even close to Bean? I find this to be rather baseless.

Basically this.

Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

CAN'T DED THE FISHBED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Squad:The Friendship Squad
  • Plane:F-4G Wild Weasel

says the guy making bead art Tomcats.  What's next, Eagle daisy chains, ya fairy?

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

And Zaku makes the best damn post yet~

I feel like I actually have to respond to this particular accusation toward KB. In what way is KB even close to Bean? I find this to be rather baseless.

Man, don't turn this into something it's not. No accusations here that I see. I'm just being too srsbsns and stuff like Bean sometimes was. That's what I take Y13 to mean, and it's pretty true. I didn't mean for this thread to be all tense, but it kinda is.

...well, I do hope that the rest of you guys don't actually see me as Bean-bis. I hope I'm a bit better at my job than that ^^;

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
Mostly I meant like Bean in that he tended to take issues to the members rather than his own chain-of-command. (With the disclosures that would accompany that.) Not that it's secret stuff, so much, that it was just an accepted confidentiality wall. Maybe not needed so much, as has been said.

Unfortunately, Staff apathy renders even that rather ineffectual these days.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,167 posts

Yeah man, that's our biggest practical challenge, for sure :/

I guess I should just reiterate that this is not coming from some misguided belief that ACS should somehow be moderated democratically. Certainly not. The main reason I want this a public discussion is because we - yes, myself included - can sometimes loose perspective. As you've seen, we have some very insightful members here, but the only other way they've voiced themselves before is, as you've put it "telling us how to do our jobs." It serves both as a way to get other perspectives (even from people outside the ACS ecosystem, as it turned out), as well as giving them a productive outlet to voice concerns.

Well, that didn't go exactly as I had hoped.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I'd say continue on your path of assembling a document for the Admins to review. Considering that we (ACS) are now privately owned, perhaps copying those members, as well, would be advisable.

However, I'm unsure how to persuade them as to the necessity of honestly engaging on this issue.  :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users