Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why was it the developer's choice to have chopper die?

Chopper Ace Combat Ace Combat 5

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Shamrock

Shamrock

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Isn't there an SP that disrupts the missles that chase you? I suppose it's not a flare, but pretty close.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Isn't there an SP that disrupts the missles that chase you? I suppose it's not a flare, but pretty close.

ECM pods do that apparently. I don't recall their real effects, mainly because I was using the MiG-31M too much to even care.

Shamrock

Shamrock

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts

Indeed. I never use disruption SPs simply because there is almost no need for them unless you're on the hardest difficulty and also because it's a waste of an SP when you only have one slot.

In AC6 on harder difficulties it becomes harder to dodge missiles with your natural abilities, so perhaps there it could be more useful, but once again, only one SP. 

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern
Just pull high-G turns and go fast to avoid missiles, even if it means crashing into a heavy command cruiser.
Or a cooling unit for that matter.

ThirstierRug19

ThirstierRug19

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

Chopper's death means to inflict a sense of loss and sadness throughout the story, and to show the true power of the Razgriz.

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II

If it were up to me there would be a sequel (Ace Combat 5-2) where Chopper is revealed to be alive, but sustained severe injuries and is half robotic.

He would look much like this:

CNCTS_Kane.jpg

During the big reveal, Wardog squadron (they changed their name back to Wardog since the Razgriz legend was completed at the end of AC5) would react with "Chopper?! But I thought you were dead!"

To which he would snarkily respond "Did you bother to check?"

He would proceed to be the main villain for the rest of the game. But in the end he makes a last minute escape, this way he could be a recurring villain throughout the franchise. It could also be implied that he is Mobius-1.

p.s. I thought of a joke that could be in the story:

Spoiler

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

ALVIN LIVES IN DEATH!

Shamrock

Shamrock

Rookie

• Members
  • 32 posts

I have no idea what any of this is....

rockshard

rockshard

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II
More ideas:
His hand was lost in the crash, so it's replaced with a golden axe. That's why he is called "chopper". When one of his subordinates fails in their mission to defeat Wardog squadron, he chops (get it? chopper?) their hand off as punishment, and their hand is replaced with a steel axe. But this is also an initiation, as all those with the steel axe join the ranks of The Round Table of Axes-- a committee of Chopper's right hand men, led by Chopper himself. This is where they plot their schemes to take out the do-goodie Wardog squadron.

Edited by rockshard, 14 March 2015 - 02:48 PM.

VitalEvergreen1

VitalEvergreen1

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

This may sound insensitive but Chopper's death could have been prevented. Instead of crashing his plane into the stadium and waiting for people to evacuate, he could have crashed it into a nearby mountain without wasting a second and still have enough time to eject before his electronics went dead.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,182 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

This may sound insensitive but Chopper's death could have been prevented. Instead of crashing his plane into the stadium and waiting for people to evacuate, he could have crashed it into a nearby mountain without wasting a second and still have enough time to eject before his electronics went dead.

Not only is he dead, but all parties involved are fictional, so I doubt anyone would be rightfully offended.

VitalEvergreen1

VitalEvergreen1

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Just appealing to the die-hard fans of the game. 

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

I thought his canopy's busted and so he cannot eject either way. If he can't get out of the plane in the stadium, he won't in the mountains.

Aquavolt

Aquavolt

BUUUHHH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  • Plane:ADF-01F Falken

why didnt blaze just shoot the canopy off with his machine guns

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

why didnt blaze just shoot the canopy off with his machine guns

Aircrafft autocannons are loaded with high explosive rounds of sorts most of the time. I dunno about that.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

How on earth would you shoot the canopy off without killing the pilot even in a best-case scenario?

I mean, it's an irrelevant question for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is the ACAH scene, but if you're looking for a realistic solution, I can't imagine how this could possibly work.

VitalEvergreen1

VitalEvergreen1

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

You are screwed if you ejection system fails in the ADF-01 Falken. (assuming you can shoot the canopy off without killing the pilot)... Wait how does the ejection system work for the ADF-01? 

Edited by VitalEvergreen1, 25 April 2015 - 01:27 AM.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Wait how does the ejection system work for the ADF-01? 

Magic and rainbows.

The Old Guard

The Old Guard

The Plucky Foreigner

• Members
  • 5,570 posts
  • Squad:The Lancers
  • Plane:F-15S/MTD

Going to do this from a narrative POV mostly:

Upon serious thought, I guess they let Chopper die for a few reasons:

1. If you'll notice, up to that point, sans the player, the squadron has been invincible for the entire duration of the game. True, several squadrons also got destroyed and shot down by enemy fighter squadrons, or superweapons like the Scinfaxi, basically, killing hundreds of nobodies in a story is nothing compared to someone with an established character and story behind him.

2. His shooting down marks a turning point for Wardog squadron in a sense that their "invincible" status is removed, reminding their enemies that they're not as immortal as reports say they are.

3.  Hence, this paves the way for Captain Snow to frame their shoot-down later on in a believable sense.

4. Speaking of Captain Snow, it allows him to eventually join the Squadron as well.

5. This also gives Edge's shoot-down later on a bit more weight as well.

As to why him specifically, well, here's a short rundown of my thoughts.

Player character = Nope, unless you wanna play as a vengeful, spiteful, and frankly bitchy Nagase for the rest of the game. (Like the one in Infinity, ech)
Grimm = Too noob to die, and I guess it was a bit too "War is Hell" for the devs, and frankly, all those nuggets shot down by the Scinfaxi earlier were probably enough to drive the point home.

Edge = Considering she serves as Wardog's effective #2 and has an immense roll in the story, no.

Snow = He was AFK for most of the war and pulled a Chekhov's gunman later on.

(I'll add more stuff as they come to me later on.)

alphazoid

alphazoid

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Squad:Looking
  • Plane:CFA-44 Nosferatu

They used the in game engine for cut scenes which looked terrible. At least in AC5, they used pre-rendered animated cut scenes which looked a lot better than 6 and the story actually made sense.

I thought that they did both for both games.

If it were up to me there would be a sequel (Ace Combat 5-2) where Chopper is revealed to be alive, but sustained severe injuries and is half robotic.
He would look much like this:
CNCTS_Kane.jpg

During the big reveal, Wardog squadron (they changed their name back to Wardog since the Razgriz legend was completed at the end of AC5) would react with "Chopper?! But I thought you were dead!"
To which he would snarkily respond "Did you bother to check?"

He would proceed to be the main villain for the rest of the game. But in the end he makes a last minute escape, this way he could be a recurring villain throughout the franchise. It could also be implied that he is Mobius-1.

p.s. I thought of a joke that could be in the story:

Spoiler

That just sounds stupid. At first, it was cool, But when you got to the axe-for-a-hand bit, you lost me.

Edited by alphazoid, 12 May 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chopper, Ace Combat, Ace Combat 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users