Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why was it the developer's choice to have chopper die?

Chopper Ace Combat Ace Combat 5

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

scarfaceone

scarfaceone

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

OK. I must admit. I do have some theories that Chopper is not dead and that he is the player character in Ace Combat 6 but is silent. But the thing is. Why was it developer choice to have him die later in the game? Did they want to shock players? Or was he an unpopular character with the developers?(He certainly was with us!!!).

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

Well, AC 5's a game centered on peace (I know, it's damn awful). So Nagase, despite her literally being the most annoying wingman in the game, stays. Letting the newbie die first is just too cynical for the occasion, so Grimm stays. Blaze doesn't die because he hiro ocia n kil al da belekkens. Maybe the death was just so that Snow can join in as the story eventually centers on the Kestrel and its fleet. Multiple theories can be drawn, but none have fundamental proof.

Honestly though, I have no idea why Chopper dies, but I can say that about why Dumbledore dies. Author decision, can't change it.

As for your theory on Chopper, it's cute, but extremely unlikely. You're talking about sarcastic motormouth Chopper here. Yes, I know, you don't want him to die as he's literally the only wingman in AC 5 that isn't a stale filler element. However, he's dead, end of story. Actually, being the only character that doesn't suck makes it oh so more dramatic when he dies. It's really that better to just assume he's dead, k? k.

The Protector

The Protector

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Squad:Funkizzle Squadrizzle
  • Plane:F-16E Block 60 Falcon

OK. I must admit. I do have some theories that Chopper is not dead and that he is the player character in Ace Combat 6 but is silent. But the thing is. Why was it developer choice to have him die later in the game? Did they want to shock players? Or was he an unpopular character with the developers?(He certainly was with us!!!).

Because Ace Combat is a war game and people die in war.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,187 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14A Tomcat

1362940359340.jpg

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,159 posts
  • Squad:⑨AD, FA, Funky
  • Plane:EA-6B Prowler

Prot nailed it. Writers kill off characters all the time. It's not that unusual, even in Ace Combat. See: Yellow Four, PJ, etc.

The whole first half of the game is about how pointless the war is, and Davenport's death is supposed to drive home the point of "oh hey, this conflict is causing the needless death and suffering of people who really don't deserve it."

As for his being the protagonist of AC6, I cannot think of any reason why this would ever be the case besides just wanting the character to be alive. Which is fine and all, but I don't really see any reason to think it true.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,898 posts
  • Squad:DAS FUNK
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

He is not Garuda 1 because all Strangereal protagonists are one and the same.

You.

FlyAwayNow

FlyAwayNow

When it all hits the FAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:MiG-29 Fulcrum-A

To make room for the only black character in AC5.

Digolgrin

Digolgrin

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

The whole first half of the game is about how pointless the war is, and Davenport's death is supposed to drive home the point of "oh hey, this conflict is causing the needless death and suffering of people who really don't deserve it."

Well, if that's true, then why did they play out his death as long as it did? Couldn't it have been much more sudden and quicker, like, say, having him killed mid-sentence? It'd probably add some form of shock value to his death.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
  • Squad:156th TFW
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
No, you'd miss the tension and angst of the knowledge coming out that he's trapped and going to die, and the sheer cocky bravery of his final words, "Heh heh, I'm gonna miss that voice."

If you're overly emotional about this game, you might shed a few manly tears.

If you're overly emotional about this game, you're also gonna be really pissed off at the last wave that comes at you afterward (at least the first time) and you realize by your wingmen's grunts that they're pulling to get around and at the enemy as soon as they can. They're pissed, too.

I actually thought it was one of the finer visceral moments in the Ace Combat series.

scarfaceone

scarfaceone

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Well, AC 5's a game centered on peace (I know, it's damn awful). So Nagase, despite her literally being the most annoying wingman in the game, stays. Letting the newbie die first is just too cynical for the occasion, so Grimm stays. Blaze doesn't die because he hiro ocia n kil al da belekkens. Maybe the death was just so that Snow can join in as the story eventually centers on the Kestrel and its fleet. Multiple theories can be drawn, but none have fundamental proof.

Honestly though, I have no idea why Chopper dies, but I can say that about why Dumbledore dies. Author decision, can't change it.

As for your theory on Chopper, it's cute, but extremely unlikely. You're talking about sarcastic motormouth Chopper here. Yes, I know, you don't want him to die as he's literally the only wingman in AC 5 that isn't a stale filler element. However, he's dead, end of story. Actually, being the only character that doesn't suck makes it oh so more dramatic when he dies. It's really that better to just assume he's dead, k? k.

In case you didn't notice. I do like some of the other characters including archer.

Muscle Man

Muscle Man

The flame is gone, the fire remains

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern
Actually, the devs didn't kill him off. It was the writers. As for why, see Prot's post.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E

He is not Garuda 1 because all Strangereal protagonists are one and the same.

You.

AC Xi makes you play as Falco 1, while the supreme anonymous ace in the exact same war is Gryphus 1. There's exceptions.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,898 posts
  • Squad:DAS FUNK
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

AC Xi makes you play as Falco 1, while the supreme anonymous ace in the exact same war is Gryphus 1. There's exceptions.

Well, granted, but it's true for the most part. Hell, Garuda 1 is the most poignant example: his assault record file is obviously not classified or something, the spaces are just there for you to fill in.

scarfaceone

scarfaceone

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Actually, the devs didn't kill him off. It was the writers. As for why, see Prot's post.

Could you redirect me to that post?

Wait Wait. Prot is the protector sorry for my stupidity.

Chopper15

Chopper15

Playing without trash-talking has no sense at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Squad:345th TFW 'Lancers'
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle

You called me?

T.Wo

T.Wo

Rookie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Plane:Su-47 Firkin

You called me?

Are you REALLY Chopper? :o

Edited by T.Wo, 17 April 2014 - 06:44 PM.

Chopper15

Chopper15

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Yes and No.

I'm NOT Chopper, but my Username IS Chopper.

Though I'm the only Chopper around here, so I thought you were askin' for me.

T.Wo

T.Wo

Rookie

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Plane:Su-47 Firkin

Yes and No.

I'm NOT Chopper, but my Username IS Chopper.

Though I'm the only Chopper around here, so I thought you were askin' for me.

Oh, alright then.  :mellow:

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  • Squad:ザ・ファンキー小隊
  • Plane:MiG-1.44 Flatpack

>this thread

Chopper15

Chopper15

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Oh, alright then.  :mellow:

Lol! Well... Welcome to ACS, everyone here is a different universe to meet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chopper, Ace Combat, Ace Combat 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users