Hai. You may know me as "he who imitates Brazilians". I know, this topic has been obviously covered trillions of times, but I'm making my review of AC X, as it's the only AC game I'm missing from being happy. Finally got around to getting it (not telling you how). While my criticism of the AC series is indeed harsh, I'm actually very impressed by this game. Nearly edges out AC 2 if it weren't just a tad bit long. Anyway, I shall grade this game using the way I usually grade games: difficulty, replayability, gameplay and whatnot. Too bad I didn't play an AC game for months, so I kinda crashed more than I should have.
Gameplay: I can feel a definite change in this game compared to say, AC 2. AC 2's twitchy super turning style and all. The FM in AC X though... I like it. Some planes really love turning at highish speeds (F-14D, maybe the F-22 but I dunno). Some prefer turning at lowish speeds (probably my pimped out Cariburn). I have never seen that as much in any AC game. The mission style is... Well, screw escort missions. Like, they're damn awful. It's probably my "get rushing every target on sight" style, but it's generally just unnecessarily frustrating for me.
FM: Like I said, I can actually feel the difference. Aside from the turning speeds, I can see an obvious optimal altitude limit. If I fly low, I'm slow. This wasn't that obvious in AC 5 for instance. It actually is one of my favorite FMs. Not as twitchy as AC 2's. But it still offers a challenge unlike other titles.
Missiles: I have heard things about AC X missiles being difficult to evade. Now that I have fought against them, I can pull out this conclusion: They're simply AC 5 missiles with much more speed. This is actually a good thing. This restricts my usual tactics of running the hell away then pulling back in. This is also compensated by the lock on time given. ~50% of my missile evasion involved barrel rolling away. It's simple really: the faster the missile, the smaller the chance of following a target properly during a direction change. I was able to abuse this fact pretty well.
AI: Ok, they're good. It's rare for me to call an AI good. I can actually have some trouble dealing with them for once. The only issue is that Alect Squadron isn't that different from those randoms in F-15S/MTDs. However, I did find their primary weak point. They still cannot handle the fury of sub-500 range missile spam either head-on or on my six. It takes time to kill them though. I'd say they're the bastard children of Yellows.
Mission quality: I felt entertained the whole way through. Only the escort missions made me want to slap someone a bit.
Planes of choice: I'm heavily geared towards only three things: Mobility, Speed, And Air-to-Air in that order. Anything else is just decoration. Stability doesn't matter at all. Defense is only if you're bad enough to get hit. Air-to-Ground? Ground targets don't move much. So here's what I've gone with in order:
1. F-4. Duh. It's just like I've expected from a starter plane. Bad at everything, but has a niche. That niche is speed. And bombs.
2. Viggen. More mobility and bombs to boot? Ok. Plus it's Saab.
3. F-14D. This was a tough one to bear. My MiG-31 aka my speedy waifu was here, yet only SAAMs were in as the default SP weapon. Being greedy for XLAAs, I chose the F-14D. Yes, I went away from the glorious Russian plane to go be a Maverick. Kill me.
4. Cariburn. I love this plane. Gearing it up, I gave it near-maximum mobility, 90 speed, 85 missiles and maximum anti-air. Also had XLAAs. Who would want another plane other than this? It's just damn awesome in every single aspect I've mentioned and really bad in all others (remember, I tuned it myself). Really, it's golden, and also very sexy. I will slap you if you disagree.
5. F-22. Well ok, that was a bad plan, but it isn't a bad plane per se. I like it. Has multitarget missiles and everything. Just does everything I tell it to, though it's not like the Cariburn. I just love the Cariburn k? Don't yell at me. :c
Yeah, I like the planes offered, especially the Cariburn.
Replayability: Well I'm playing it again am I? Ok.
So yes, I finally like AC X. And I just did mention the same stuff that would have been said long ago (perhaps not?). Ok, feel free to lash out the "DUR WE NEW DIS U NOOB" comments. However, it still needs more missiles. Yes, I'm crazy.