Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hilarious in Hindsight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

I was looking for some info on AC development staff and found this old interview with Natsuki Isaki, director of AC6 (also director for ACI and game design director for AH). Some fun bits, in retrospect:

In the living battlefield, the player can experience the massive scale of group combat where multiple armies from both sides, intensely battle through missiles, gunfire and explosions. This creates an action-packed and interactive style of entertainment, unlike battles in movies, which are scripted and not interactive.

So even if you clear the game the first time round, it is well worth playing it multiple times through because of the complexity of each mission. I'm worried that in the future when Ace Combat 7 comes out, users will say, "I'm still enjoying 6 so I can't buy 7 yet!

Also, the players don't board the tanks or vessels, or operate them. Unlike RTS, you don't give detailed instructions such as, "Go that way and come this way." In this game, being a hero as an ace pilot in the battlefield is important; therefore we didn't want you to also be a tank operator, captain, or general… We have concluded that unless you play a steady character, you may become confused of who you are and even though you could get a simple sense of accomplishment of clearing stages, you would never be able to get the emotional sense of achievement of being a hero.

>4 years later

Obviously the terrible design decisions in AH were pretty much dictated from above because LOLTHENEXTCOD but still, funny.

Edited by PositronCannon, 20 February 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,135 posts

Heh, nice find.

Skope Hogan

Skope Hogan

Highway to the Dangerzone

• Members
  • 6,182 posts

When you give up Arthurian referencing, the awesome scores, the likable antagonists, and the world for the shameless attempt to apply the half-assed Ridley Scott Black Hawk Down look of most modern shooters, shit goes wrong, yo.

Galm118

Galm118

That guy

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
They might slightly right their past transgressions with Infinity. At least they're reincorporating elements from the legacy games but... Fuel... C'mon.