Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How did Pixy fire on Cipher?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

SlyCooperFan1

SlyCooperFan1

Acepedia Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
Excuse my lack of knowledge in the aviation department (ironic, right?), but something's been bothering me ever since I played that mission for the first time. How exactly was Pixy able to fire on Cipher? As I understand it, IFF does not allow a plane to lock onto someone that the IFF considers an ally; new data has to be transmitted from an AWACS or something similar to change the IFF's classification of certain units. Can someone clear this up for me?

Penzor

Penzor

Infamous

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

If AWNB had engineers to work on the V2 ICBMS, then we can guess they had engineers to reroute/hack IFF systems.

XDragon

XDragon

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Wouldn't the 7 nukes also set off EMP blasts that would have fried the electronics on the planes?

But I could be wrong there.

Anyway, to your question...maybe Wizard 1 transmitted the new IFF? A World With No Boundaries seems pretty resourceful for a terrorist organization so it's possible he was able to share data?

CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

All IFF does is tell you whether another plane is squawking a certain code.

IFF doesn't interfere with locking on to targets, AFAIK. And even then, it has no bearing on infra-red locks.

SlyCooperFan1

SlyCooperFan1

Acepedia Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Wouldn't the 7 nukes also set off EMP blasts that would have fried the electronics on the planes?

If so, then Cipher should have been able to fire on Crow Team as well as Pixy. 

All IFF does is tell you whether another plane is squawking a certain code.

IFF doesn't interfere with locking on to targets, AFAIK. And even then, it has no bearing on infra-red locks.

So in real life, friendly fire is completely possible because you can lock onto a friendly?

XDragon

XDragon

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Well the frying of the electronics has more to do with how the planes stayed in the air.

Huh, didn't know that. I thought IFF made it impossible to lock on

CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

So in real life, friendly fire is completely possible because you can lock onto a friendly?

Yes.

In fact, there have been instances where it's happened. Mostly with infra red missiles. The most recent example I know off the top of my head was a Russian Su-25 pair that were on a training flight. The 2nd plane accidentally fired an R-60 (like a Sidewinder, basically) at the lead plane and destroyed it.

Likewise, back during Desert Storm a HARM launched from one of the Coalition fighters caught a B-52's radar emissions and tracked to and exploded near the B-52, damaging it.

XDragon

XDragon

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

So, logically we should have been able to return fire at Pixy

CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

Yes.

Except it's a game, so... plot armor.

XDragon

XDragon

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Would 7 nuclear explosions have done anything to the flight systems in the planes to bring them down instead of allowing them to keep flying? Basically an EMP I'm assuming Galm and Crow Teams were basically near Ground Zero 

CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

They probably wouldn't have fell out of the sky. But I'm sure some systems would have been affected. Keep in mind that F-16s and F-15s and the like were cleared to drop nuclear bombs. So they'd be close to any explosions in real life had they been tasked with that mission.

Otherwise, plot armor.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Pixy just has telescopic vision. That is all.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

They probably wouldn't have fell out of the sky. But I'm sure some systems would have been affected. Keep in mind that F-16s and F-15s and the like were cleared to drop nuclear bombs. So they'd be close to any explosions in real life had they been tasked with that mission.

Otherwise, plot armor.

Considering the first nukes were dropped by slow, propeller-driven bombers, with no reported problems (IIRC), I don't think it's an issue.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Considering the first nukes were dropped by slow, propeller-driven bombers, with no reported problems (IIRC), I don't think it's an issue.

They also had a lot less electronics and none of them in the flight controls.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

True enough.....also, no concept of EMP?   Or was that discovered in the original tests?

I'm sure I read somewhere that (at least) some mil aircraft parts are EMP-protected.  Between then and now, I'm sure, some upgrading has taken place...... 

Inverter

Inverter

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Yes.

In fact, there have been instances where it's happened. Mostly with infra red missiles. The most recent example I know off the top of my head was a Russian Su-25 pair that were on a training flight. The 2nd plane accidentally fired an R-60 (like a Sidewinder, basically) at the lead plane and destroyed it.

Likewise, back during Desert Storm a HARM launched from one of the Coalition fighters caught a B-52's radar emissions and tracked to and exploded near the B-52, damaging it.

I don't recall exact locations, but I know of several Vietnam engagements that involved over 150 aircraft at a time. Obviously, IFF and transponder squawk is really important in that kind of situation.

Oka_Nieba

Oka_Nieba

Commemorating the Anean Continental War!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
One word: Sidewinders.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I see your Sidewinders and raise you Flares.

XDragon

XDragon

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

I'll meet your Flares and raise you an ECM Jammer.

Yea, the B-29 who dropped "Little Boy"  I believe was simply told to release his ordinance and bank hard, and not to look. 

As to the EMP, it was known but the extent was not realized until the late 1950's.