Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Online Event for PS3: 8/18 2-8PM PDT(9PM-3AM UTC)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Since AC:I won't be out for a while, and may be terrible anyway, I thought us PS3 people who can't play AC6 might like to do an online event. Obviously our choices for game are limited by not having AC6 available, to probably either ACAH or HAWX.

I think the clear choice between the two is HAWX, as it has both a proper team-deathmatch, and much more AC-like gameplay than AH. Though I suppose a heavily-houseruled AH might work, if there was significant demand.

Now before you start complaining about HAWX, we would be playing it without the lame stuff.

To avoid planes that take a million hits to kill, resulting in a ton of kill stealing and such, weapons would be set to 'hardcore' mode. In 'hardcore', 2 basic missiles or one XMAA kills most aircraft, aside from stuff like A-10s that have about half a basic missile worth of bonus armor, which I believe SAAMs will still kill in 1 hit on that mode. Alternatively we could use 'realistic' mode, where even a basic missile kills in 1 hit, but ammo is very limited to just a pair of basic missiles, 4 XMAAs, etc., and it usually just degrades into a gunfight very quickly.

Off-mode would be disabled, so no more spastic MiG-21s and such that can out-turn stuff like F-22s.

All-Aspects and Rocket Pods would be disallowed, and if you happen to choose a loadout that has either or both of them, you're just not allowed to use them, which is enforceable due to everyone being able to see what kind of weapon kills anyone.

Support units would probably be allowed, but perhaps only every other match, or perhaps less often if lots of EMPs started popping.

Obviously there are still bugs in the game, but all the other really annoying parts of the game would be taken out.

Anyone interested please post here, so we can get a general idea of how many of us there might be, and with any comments you might have. Also please state which of the two games you have a copy of(though both can be bought on PSN now(Both for $20 each), or otherwise gotten pretty cheap at this point).

Possible house rules for making AH as much like classic AC are as follows:

Probably Capital Conquest, but maybe that zone-control mode(forgot the name) instead or in addition.

DFM and ASM completely banned(not doable with game settings, aside from setting game mode to 'fighters only' to disable ASM, would have to be honor system)

Everyone would most likely need to use the skill that makes missiles target better, so they're not completely useless with DFM disabled. All other skills might be banned, or at least the DLC ones.(again, needs to be on the honor system)

Guns are kinda useless without DFM, unfortunately, but they're not worth including DFM just to get them back.

Paint Schemes that include bonuses would be banned as well(can be done with patch-level restriction, iirc, though that would exclude most if not all DLC planes)

Edited by Durandal7, 07 August 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Jim

Jim

Technicolour Dreamboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Sounds good, you can sign me down for both.

PSN: heresjimmy

Also, anybody here play Birds of Steel?

Edited by EmeraldJimmy, 29 July 2013 - 06:46 PM.

JNT11593

JNT11593

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

If you roll with AH I'll play I need to unlock the all the online paintjobs again. Plus I don't have HAWX.

PSN: JNT11593

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts

I'm down for AH because I honestly don't feel like buying HAWX.

dubit

dubit

Vintage Gamer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

I'm in for either one of the games.  HAWX preferably, but it appears it will be Assault Horizon.

PSNID = dubit

Edited by dubit, 29 July 2013 - 10:34 PM.

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

HAWX is only $10 on PSN, probably even less if you can find a copy in person, and the multiplayer is really way more like classic AC, once you disable off-mode. Not to mention that it's also way more fun than AH.

Even so, I guess I'll try to come up with some house-rules for AH to make it tolerable and update the first post with them.

Edited by Durandal7, 29 July 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
Well, I am a bit short on cash. Not saying that I can't buy HAWX, but if I do, it's going to set me back a bit for other stuff.

Also, we can do either attacker only again or just try to enforce the no DFM rule since there'll be no randoms.

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Well, let's figure out if we even have enough people to make this worthwhile, even at 5 for AH, we're a bit low, since playing against randoms isn't an option. With HAWX, we could maybe get away with 4 and just play vs. randoms, but ideally at least 6 for 3v3.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts

I have both games. 

I'm not sure if I still have my HAWX save file, or lost it on my last PS3. 

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

So that's 4 for HAWX and 6 for AH. That's enough to mess around vs. randoms in HAWX, and enough for a limited AH match, but either way, I think we probably want more people.

dubit

dubit

Vintage Gamer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

It would be nice to have enough for a match...  If we don't, I'd like to still get together for a few rounds.  Oh, Panda...  That load time for HAWX is unbearable.  If you decide to re-install it, put it in, go watch a 30 minute sitcom.  It may be done by then.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
Already reinstalled it and played a few rounds with ICE and Durandal. Turns out I already reached max level somehow, but I still need to complete the campaign to unlock the last few jets.

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

It would be nice to have enough for a match...  If we don't, I'd like to still get together for a few rounds.  Oh, Panda...  That load time for HAWX is unbearable.  If you decide to re-install it, put it in, go watch a 30 minute sitcom.  It may be done by then.

Yeah, we can definitely still get together for something even if we don't get enough for a full match. 4 vs. randoms in HAWX would be lots of fun.

As Panda said, we had a few rounds tonight vs. randoms and sometimes each other, and that was pretty fun, even when it was 2 vs. randoms.

I guess with ICE, we're now up to 5 for HAWX.

Also, for anyone considering (re)buying it, apparently HAWX is $20, not $10. it must've been on sale on PSN when I last checked, so now it's the same price as AH.

dubit

dubit

Vintage Gamer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

Yeah, we can definitely still get together for something even if we don't get enough for a full match. 4 vs. randoms in HAWX would be lots of fun.

As Panda said, we had a few rounds tonight vs. randoms and sometimes each other, and that was pretty fun, even when it was 2 vs. randoms.

I guess with ICE, we're now up to 5 for HAWX.

Also, for anyone considering (re)buying it, apparently HAWX is $20, not $10. it must've been on sale on PSN when I last checked, so now it's the same price as AH.

Are you sure that's not HAWX 2 your looking at?  Just last weekend the price was HAWX $9.99 / HAWX 2 $19.99.  Either way, you can pick it up at Gamestop for $8.99. 

Jim

Jim

Technicolour Dreamboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

I'll add you lads, just tell me when ye are playing.

I really should get some practice in on HAWX, I think I've played like, 3 matches on that game, lol.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts

Are you sure that's not HAWX 2 your looking at?  Just last weekend the price was HAWX $9.99 / HAWX 2 $19.99.  Either way, you can pick it up at Gamestop for $8.99. 

I checked yesterday when I downloaded the on-disc DLC again.

https://store.sonyen...-a-w-x-ps3.html

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

DLC means Disc-Loadable Content, right?  :rolleyes:

But yeah, it must've been on sale last week, though as dubit points out, if you can find it in meatspace, it should be very cheap.

As for what time, I think last night it was maybe around 4PM-8PM PDT, or 11PM-3AM UTC.

dubit

dubit

Vintage Gamer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

What a horrible, horrible night.....

I went -1 and 10.  Yup.  It can be done.

+ 2 more matches negative

1 positive match.

As Durandal can attest, I became a whiny little kid.  Embarassed, leading to agitated, leading to T/O'd. 

Speaking of which, someone run with me through campaign so I can unlock some of these missile packs. 

Durandal7

Durandal7

Zero-Zero Section

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

What a horrible, horrible night.....

I went -1 and 10.  Yup.  It can be done.

+ 2 more matches negative

1 positive match.

As Durandal can attest, I became a whiny little kid.  Embarassed, leading to agitated, leading to T/O'd. 

Speaking of which, someone run with me through campaign so I can unlock some of these missile packs. 

Panda should just make a new account to fix his broken unlocks, and then you two can run though the campaign together, and then the 3 of us can boost both of your profiles to max level.

I did it for a few friends, it's really fast, even with the minimum of 3 people doing it.

Necron 1

Necron 1

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
I honestly never touched HAWX's multiplayer, so expect me to be awful if I play.