Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Finding ASM Suspicious

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Katamariguy

Katamariguy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

I can tell that calling for support causes every nearby unit to fire upon enemies in your vicinity. Given how effective your allies are outside of ASM, I have a feeling that the friendly AI is actively holding back, waiting for me to give the go-ahead. Is this true?

ChaosDynasty

ChaosDynasty

Just some random person...ya know?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Well, if the AI constantly acted as if they were constantly requested, then there wouldn't be much for us as players to actually do (let alone justify having 80 + missiles)

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts

At first I was like "Air Strike Mode"? Am I in the AC6 forum? :P

It's true. When you complete an operation to unlock allied support, the available units just lollygag. Available fighters fly circles above you, Yellow Jacket hovers below you, and land and sea units just stay still. Once you issue the command, they'll actually shoot something. 

The AI is very capable of being destructive on their own if the level isn't stacked against them. They just seem to be better during an allied support command, because you're combining the firepower of all available units in the map into a single area.

Katamariguy

Katamariguy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

It's just that I like playing with the feeling that I'm just one soldier in a massive war, rather than being the one effective fighter in an army full of useless idiots. I only seem to be able to get close to this in multiplayer games like Battlefield and Planetside.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts

It's just that I like playing with the feeling that I'm just one soldier in a massive war, rather than being the one effective fighter in an army full of useless idiots. I only seem to be able to get close to this in multiplayer games like Battlefield and Planetside.

Well, being multi-player games, that makes sense. In a single player game, this means that the AI can potentially win a battle without player involvement. 

For a single player game, AC6 does a good job setting up the atmosphere of you being just a soldier in a massive war. At least, it does so for me, and very few games do that. Even military-themed shooters - with all the expendable, inconsequential background soldiers - give me the feeling that the battle is only happening in the narrow corridor I'm in.

SolidScherzo

SolidScherzo

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

On lower difficulties, units can complete their objectives with very little support from the player. I saw a gameplay vid where Quox Battalion, which wasn't supported by the player for the entire mission, made it past the first two checkpoints at 80 percent health.

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Personally, the only way I'd use ASM is with the attack command on a massive array of targets. In fact, I rarely give out the cover command since getting that bar filled up isn't always easy, and also because there is literally no use in getting cover when the missiles are easy to evade in the first place, with the possible exception of mission 12 with all those fighters reducing your firing opportunities, thus taking quite a while to down them all solo, even if it's very possible to do so.

On lower difficulties, units can complete their objectives with very little support from the player. I saw a gameplay vid where Quox Battalion, which wasn't supported by the player for the entire mission, made it past the first two checkpoints at 80 percent health.

I'd say it's a way of being merciful towards the fresh players of the Ace Combat, especially since it's on a gaming platform made by another company than Sony, thus increasing the potential amount of newbies. That must also explain why the ground is made of rubber on the easiest difficulty. Personally, I think it's a little too merciful for the newbies, but I don't mind, and the game was complete eons ago.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

That must also explain why the ground is made of rubber on the easiest difficulty.

Naaaah.....if I recall correctly, most every Ace Combat title lets you 'bounce' off the ground at shallow angles of attack on the easiest level.    Mind you, dive into the ground and you're still gonna die, it just lets you live if you flew that loop a little loosely and too low to the ground.   ;)  

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Naaaah.....if I recall correctly, most every Ace Combat title lets you 'bounce' off the ground at shallow angles of attack on the easiest level.    Mind you, dive into the ground and you're still gonna die, it just lets you live if you flew that loop a little loosely and too low to the ground.   ;)  

Odd, I never saw that in the other titles. But if that is the case, then AC 6 allows a steeper angle of attack towards the ground.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Only AC04 and AC6 had that functionality on the lower difficulties, actually.

Well, technically AC3 too, but that was sorta different, and happened in both Easy and Normal (you didn't bounce back up with minimal damage as much as "skid" along the ground while taking damage).

Edited by PositronCannon, 25 June 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I'm pretty sure I did it in AC5, but that involved water, IIRC.   Maybe some leeway there....

Even military-themed shooters - with all the expendable, inconsequential background soldiers - give me the feeling that the battle is only happening in the narrow corridor I'm in.

I think you just named the main problem with Assault Horizon.  

All the legacy titles gave you a sky-spanning area to play in.  AH pulled that in like a strait jacket, with those 'special' missions.

Just my opinion, dawg. 

Hue

Hue

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Only AC04 and AC6 had that functionality on the lower difficulties, actually.

Well, technically AC3 too, but that was sorta different, and happened in both Easy and Normal (you didn't bounce back up with minimal damage as much as "skid" along the ground while taking damage).

AC 3 required you to hit the ground at a near-parallel angle though. AC 6 allows a much steeper angle.

Edited by Hue, 26 June 2013 - 03:15 AM.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,898 posts

At very shallow angles, I think you can also survive in ACX/JA, even on Ace, but with extensive damage.

Lychnus

Lychnus

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

In AH you can dive and nothing happens.  :lol: