Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why Assault Horizon Is The Worst Game Of All Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
130 replies to this topic

Samcware

Samcware

Noob

• Members
  • 2 posts
I grew up playing Ace Combat Unsung War, it was the best fucking game I'd ever seen.

Awesome story, awesome game play, it wasn't horribly realistic but it was real enough to draw you in, your planes wouldn't make 180degree turns in half a second when you were going mach 2. The game had great writers, you understood characters, their motivations, and you became empathetic toward their situation and deeply involved in the characters and the story.

What the fuck happened?

Unsung War was a huge success because it was simple, you could fly fighter planes in the context of a cool story.

In Assault Horizon, they decided this dynamic should be completely reversed, because they all started smoking a lot of crack cocaine and PCP.

A) You are no longer be able to fly fighter planes, and instead just have "dogfight mode" in which you are simply guided along behind your target and make turns which disregard the laws of physics, the plane might as well be an autonomous drone with how little you have to actually control your vehicle, THE REASON A GAME IS FUN IS BECAUSE IT IS CHALLENGING, if you remove every bit of the challenge it's just like watching a horrible fucking movie, you don't have to do ANYTHING but "enter dog fight mode" which, of course, you can never turn off.
and,
B ) There is now a retarded story, which never makes any sense, never introduces or explains characters, and could have been written by a group of kindergarteners. Except the kindergarteners would probably have been more creative.

There is no sense of progress, you aren't saving money to buy and upgrade planes, you just select from them every mission.

This game is the most disappointing sequel since star wars episode I

Did they fire all their old developers because they wanted to remember what it was like to have a team of rookies?

I mean seriously, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED, why did they murder the ace combat series?

I went out and bought Unsung War again, didn't work on my 120gb PS3. God dammit man, god dammit.

Edited by Samcware, 31 October 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Oh god, my sides. My fucking sides.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
I agree AH is a piece of crap but I'd say AC5 isn't exactly a high standard to compare it to. If anything AH is a more extreme version of what AC5 was: an attempt at a heavily story-driven AC with much easier gameplay than previous entries (the Japanese version of AC3 was Nintendo Hard and its flight physics very unforgiving, and AC04 was still a challenging game, while AC5 got on-rails physics, full-braindead AI and laughable amounts of enemies), although of course AC5 still managed to be a decent game. For a funfact, both were directed by the same guy.

Edited by PositronCannon, 31 October 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Devildog Cipher

Devildog Cipher

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
And once again, another butthurt ace combat fan lol.
So many of these threads. So much cancer

Galm118

Galm118

That guy

• Members
  • 5,952 posts

I actually lost brain cells.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,179 posts
I think most people here share your sentiments, Samcware, but at this point, we've already kinda moved on. That's why the reception here is cold. If this were a year ago, this would have turned into three pages of commiseration and rebuttal in as many hours.

Though the seemingly unjustified hyperbole certainly doesn't help. Just saying. There are lots of worse games than ACAH, and lots of worse sequels too. I'm pretty sure you don't actually think it's the worst game of all time either. Perhaps in a personal sort of way, maybe...

Edited by KonoBaka, 31 October 2012 - 05:21 PM.

Georgia Ace

Georgia Ace

New and improved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
This is not the worst game ever by a LONG shot, its not a bad game if you don't think of it as a Ace Combat. Its a 5 out of 10 at worst or 8 out of 10 at most.

Jim

Jim

Technicolour Dreamboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
You're late.

Battlehawk One

Battlehawk One

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Buddy, if this is the worst game ever made, you might need to get your skull checked.

I hereby refer you to PCGamer's "Crap Shoot" series. Now those are some of the worst games ever made.

Kaiten Sushi-kun

Kaiten Sushi-kun

basic gameplay modes - $49.99

• Members
  • 5,968 posts

Buddy, if this is the worst game ever made, you might need to get your skull checked.

I hereby refer you to PCGamer's "Crap Shoot" series. Now those are some of the worst games ever made.

It's still the worst game Ace Combat game created, second to JA.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

害酷人

• Global Moderators
  • 7,179 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=011zjme5w1k

Lest we forget.

ZerstorungBiscuit

ZerstorungBiscuit

Autism Therapy Chicken

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts

Let's face it, the real world doesn't work, it can't be as "controlled" as strangereal.

Edit: Indeed, KonoBaka, indeed

Edited by A Dozen Biscuts, 31 October 2012 - 07:57 PM.

Valk

Valk

The Man Who Sold The World

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Lest we forget.

I had forgotten. Goddamnit.

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
I think it might even beat that shitty AC Advanced game tbh lol

ZerstorungBiscuit

ZerstorungBiscuit

Autism Therapy Chicken

• Banned
  • 3,201 posts

I think it might even beat that shitty AC Advanced game tbh lol

I don't know man, AC Adv. was BAD.

ekirbo

ekirbo

BOOST POWER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

I don't know man, AC Adv. was BAD.

WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT GAME

ZerstorungBiscuit

ZerstorungBiscuit

Autism Therapy Chicken

• Banned
  • 3,201 posts

WE DO NOT SPEAK OF THAT GAME

Copy that.

ACAce23

ACAce23

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• Members
  • 6,704 posts
Yeah....nah, you're wrong.

gunslinger

gunslinger

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
Its not great, but I do not regret using a free rental coupon on it.

Never buying it though unless I find it for really cheap.

Ace of Haze

Ace of Haze

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Only buy for the legacy.
Do not buy the game for the game, but rather, for the series.
It must live on. Thus, i ask you all to sign my petition for a Ace Combat HD Remastered edition of tittles 4, 5, and Zero.
Please click on the link on my crazy and busy looking sig if you have not already signed it already.
Thank you.