Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Narrator's Orphaning Really Disturbed Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Katamariguy

Katamariguy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
Think about it. Any one of the protagonists may have killed numerous innocent people without knowing or meaning to.

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,159 posts
Almost certainly, and I guess that's part of the point. You're not "Archangel of the Roundtable," after all.

Edited by KonoBaka, 15 September 2012 - 02:25 PM.

Katamariguy

Katamariguy

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
I mean, it can even happen to a Knight who goes out of his way to stick to military targets.

Oka_Nieba

Oka_Nieba

Commemorating the Anean Continental War!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
That kind of thing is exactly why the Ace Combat series isn`t a real big war promotion game. While I think that AC5 may have been the epitome of anti-war so far, this one example has a lot of impact, too.

Chopper15

Chopper15

Playing without trash-talking has no sense at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
Taking the story from civilians view instead of military, that's what I like about AC04.

Oka_Nieba

Oka_Nieba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
AC6 tried to do something similar with fully animated cutscenes, but they just didn`t do as good a job in general.

Sinner101GR

Sinner101GR

Sins & Saints CEO

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Think about it. Any one of the protagonists may have killed numerous innocent people without knowing or meaning to.

Is this guy for serious?

What in the goddamned fuck. THAT'S A STATEMENT. NOT A QUESTION.

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
It's one of the things I like about AC4 to 6, they're stories about how war just sucks. However I think they got a bit carried away with AC5, to the point that it just became annoying. AC6's just came off as weird. The plot events for the other characters were too unrealistic to suspend disbelief.

But with AC6, I think they could have played more with the theme of sacrifice and loss. I think the final mission's BGM would've been more fitting if the radio chatter throughout the campaign mentioned casualties even if the player was doing well - Something AC4 had plenty of.

What in the goddamned fuck. THAT'S A STATEMENT. NOT A QUESTION.

What?

Sinner101GR

Sinner101GR

Sins & Saints CEO

• Global Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

What?

I was very drunk....and I honestly don't remember posting this. I looked at the New Posts thing...saw that I had posted in here and looked....and I don't even know what I meant.

Chopper15

Chopper15

Playing without trash-talking has no sense at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

I was very drunk....and I honestly don't remember posting this. I looked at the New Posts thing...saw that I had posted in here and looked....and I don't even know what I meant.

That's why I never drink...

RadPig94

RadPig94

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Any one of the protagonists may have killed numerous innocent people without knowing or meaning to.

That happens in every real life war, it's safe to assume that it has happened in every single game too.

Razgriz67

Razgriz67

Apparently I'm weird

• Members
  • 3,557 posts
I personally liked it, for it gave us the perspective of a civilian that pretty much saw his family die. We got to see the story through his eyes and we also get a nice idea of the perspective of the enemy main squad. Which is something that has been rarely done. Its nice to see a different perspective everyone and then. Also I didn't find it disturbing cuse when I first played AC4 I was around the same age as the kid

Axdsilva

Axdsilva

Silverstar of the Golden Altar (sounds cool eh?)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
It's simple effective storytelling at its best, reality of war, the childish innocence, the motivation and reasons for seeing the perpective of the enemy, as well as the inevitable conflict to ensue

It's a godd setup whichhelps to answer many of the right questions immediately, while leaving enough to want asking more and providing the proper empathy with the characters

Praise to whoever wrote it, though I still like AC5s the best, this one is easily the close second because of its simplicity and effective delivery

spellca

spellca

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Praise to whoever wrote it

Sunao Katabuchi of all people

Nemo KB

Nemo KB

Now available on laserdisc

• Global Moderators
  • 7,159 posts

Sunao Katabuchi of all people

Wow, I had no idea. Black Lagoon and Ace Combat, both from the same fellow... That's pretty cool, actually.

spellca

spellca

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Wow, I had no idea. Black Lagoon and Ace Combat, both from the same fellow... That's pretty cool, actually.

I know right? he also did ace combat 5 but 04 he did the screen play and directed

ACAce23

ACAce23

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• Members
  • 6,704 posts
Its infinitely more intriguing than any of the other stories. Kid falls in with the guy who accidentally killed his family and writes to the only man (the player) that could possibly relate to try and understand him and his actions when not in the jumpseat?

The feels and the moral dilemmas man, far better than;

"OMG, it was Belka all along, lets team up guiz and take down the real baddies together!"

"yay!"

*puke*

Oka_Nieba

Oka_Nieba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Its infinitely more intriguing than any of the other stories. Kid falls in with the guy who accidentally killed his family and writes to the only man (the player) that could possibly relate to try and understand him and his actions when not in the jumpseat?

The feels and the moral dilemmas man, far better than;

"OMG, it was Belka all along, lets team up guiz and take down the real baddies together!"

"yay!"

*puke*

I`ll agree that it is certainly more sophisticated than the plot of AC5, but its emotional power is very much dependent upon the type of person playing the game. Some people are more emotionally prone to the kind of thing we saw in AC04, and others more prone to the plot of AC5.

Axdsilva

Axdsilva

Silverstar of the Golden Altar (sounds cool eh?)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,193 posts
I'm more for the complexities and emotional storyline of 5 myself, but the simplicity of 04 is delivered well enough to have a similar impact, though not as deep, still as powerful

ACAce23

ACAce23

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• Members
  • 6,704 posts
I'm still not seeing the "deep" in the AC5 plot. Defeated country wants revenge, makes Totally-not-russia fight Totally-not-the-USA fight each other and everyone teams up to save the day.