Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ACS Battle Arena

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
222 replies to this topic

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Great! I have added you to the list of competitors.

Please, everyone, be sure that your game consoles and disks work, as well as your digital camera/phone camera.

And before anyone posts, saying, "I don't have a camera.", I'm sorry, but you won't be able to compete in the Battle Arena. We have had too many cheating scandals over the years in legacy competitions to have any kind of confidence in anyone's unsupported word.

Just as with other individual challenges and squad -vs- squad competitions, a readable full-screen shot must be submitted, containing a index card/piece of paper in the unused corner (normally lower-right) that has your ID and the date the mission was flown.

Superplanes will still be banned, under the rationale that the player must complete certain requirements to possess them, and everyone may not have met those requirements, as they are not needed to complete the game. These are fictional aircraft that have never seen actual production or prototyping and usually carry advanced weaponry. A full list is given in the first post.

This is done in an effort to make the games as fair to all players as possible. We appreciate your cooperation.

Now, why should I have to explain the rationale behind screenshots every time?

Most members who have competed in any kind of legacy competition know this.

And if you consider my response an 'attack', you must not have been paying attention the past couple of years.

I can do MUCH worse, and without using profanity, either. ;)

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Most members who have competed in any kind of legacy competition know this.

Something I have not done before, thus I am new to the shenanigans.

And if you consider my response an 'attack', you must not have been paying attention the past couple of years.

I can do MUCH worse, and without using profanity, either. ;)

I'm quaking in my boots, I assure you. Pff. Regardless, you'll get an ID that conforms, no probs.

Wait a moment. So is capture software not permitted when it comes to taking pictures? We have to use off-screen pics? Pretty lame.

Edited by Tomcat, 05 September 2012 - 01:36 PM.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Wait a moment. So is capture software not permitted when it comes to taking pictures? We have to use off-screen pics? Pretty lame.

Yeah, I also wish I could just use my capcard, that way taking a decent screenshot wouldn't be the hardest part of the whole deal due to my having only a crappy webcam. But yeah, what can you do. After certain "incidents" in the past, I can't blame Y13 for requiring these things.

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Well I did a recording of a new best time and showed the date on the PSP's dashboard.
And then I set a new best time after that and it wasn't recorded XD

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
I really am not here to rip anyone a new hole...not in this thread, anyway. ;)

Unfortunately, today's younger generations seem to have a problem with reading and following instructions. My own kid, now out of college, is just as bad.

I also tend to give a period of time between posting a new competition and actually starting it, to give members a chance to ask questions, if they don't understand the rules of the game. Maybe I get too terse when people come in after the fact with problems that could have been avoided.

Still, it seems that there are always some members that don't get it.

Screencap software would give great shots, I agree. However, you cannot prove when the shot was taken, leaving the issue open to unscrupulous members' taking advantage. It has been done, time and time again.

This is why we still insist upon the old, manual method of taking screenshots, with the ID card containing member ID and the date the shot was taken.

I an sorry if that task proves onerous for anyone. -_-

For reference, a good screenshot looks like this;

Posted Image

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Oh don't worry, I understood after I read the bold part you quoted, hence why I mentioned disallowing cap hardware/software was lame, though I can understand why such a restriction is imposed. I already have a pic like the example in case I don't better it later on, so no worries.

Edited by Tomcat, 05 September 2012 - 07:30 PM.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I already have a pic like the example in case I don't better it later on, so no worries.

I thoroughly approve. This is something I always advise competitors to do.

ChaosDynasty

ChaosDynasty

Just some random person...ya know?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Unfortunately, today's younger generations seem to have a problem with reading and following instructions. My own kid, now out of college, is just as bad.

Ha! I just love these kind of comments. I notice how older people all say this kinda stuff.

It's like it is just assumed that we are all stupid, just because we are younger and made one mistake. This isn't the first time I've heard this.

Anyway, back onto topic.

I understand about the date thing, but how would we exactly prove that WE were the ones that played the mission? Camera pic or not, it kinda can't really be done.

I could have a friend come over, who is better at the game than myself, and have them play it for me. Then just put my name by it (I'm the only one out of my nearby friends that even plays AC anyway, but that's just me).

All in all, there is no foolproof way for screencaps (camera or no) and it is simply a matter of trust.
I, myself, would never do this even if I could. Though if there are others who are not all that great at the game (like myself), then someone might attempt it.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Maybe if this generation took part in the decision-making process, and thus said "instructions" weren't completely foreign and detached from then, following them wouldn't be so difficult. Posted Image

I understand about the date thing, but how would we exactly prove that WE were the ones that played the mission? Camera pic or not, it kinda can't really be done.

I could have a friend come over, who is better at the game than myself, and have them play it for me. Then just put my name by it (I'm the only one out of my nearby friends that even plays AC anyway, but that's just me).

All in all, there is no foolproof way for screencaps (camera or no) and it is simply a matter of trust.
I, myself, would never do this even if I could. Though if there are others who are not all that great at the game (like myself), then someone might attempt it.

In the end, there has to be a degree of trust and respect in competition such as this. There's things that just can't be reasonably controlled, so either we accept them and move on or not do these competitions at all. And well, we all know what's the best option there.

ChaosDynasty

ChaosDynasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Maybe if this generation took part in the decision-making process, and thus said "instructions" weren't completely foreign and detached from then, following them wouldn't be so difficult. Posted Image

Yeah, but then everything would be in texting shorthand, or L33T, and I'd rather not spend 10 minutes trying to decipher it. I already spend enough time with many 'instructions' now just trying to find the damn page that is in english. (someone in their 20's who doesn't text? what is this?:o This would be me, the one who don't text that is.:P )

In the end, there has to be a degree of trust and respect in competition such as this. There's things that just can't be reasonably controlled, so either we accept them and move on or not do these competitions at all. And well, we all know what's the best option there.

This I understand as well, and I'm not saying to end these comps (that would lead to me probably never being in any sort of comp if this happened). It's just something to be noted. That's all.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Someone already tried that and, got caught, thank you for playing. No, certainly no sure way to know, but I try to eliminate as many possibilities as I can. If you can't see the logic and purpose in what I'm doing, I'm sorry.

Yeah, but then everything would be in texting shorthand, or L33T, and I'd rather not spend 10 minutes trying to decipher it.

You just bolster my point, there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trust and respect is great, but obviously you haven't been around long enough to know how badly that works here, both in challenges and competitions. We tried it, all the way back to ISC 1, which, I believe, was the last major competition to NOT have accusations of cheating thrown about....as it so happens, I ran that one.

ISC 2 was not transparent at all and finished with questions and suspicion, ISC 3 was just plain cheating, ISC 4 was cancelled for lack of participation and ISC 5 fell apart because of a ridiculous plan by the XBL Squadrons to get back at Sinner, because his squad kicked ass online.

If you had experienced all this, you wouldn't say a word. And despite a reputation for being a tight-ass mod, people here do tend to trust me, because I say what I mean and I mean what I say, so let's dispense with the negative comments, eh?

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Yeah, but then everything would be in texting shorthand, or L33T, and I'd rather not spend 10 minutes trying to decipher it. I already spend enough time with many 'instructions' now just trying to find the damn page that is in english.

Stereotypes Posted Image

@Y13: I was talking about any further measures than what we already have... which would be impossible. My point is that our level of scrutiny is simply logistically limited, and so that past the current measures(which I can't disagree with), there's really nothing that can be done - and hence trust people on the issues beyond our control, or do nothing at all.

Out of curiosity, how was the proxy player caught?

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Out of curiosity, how was the proxy player caught?

IIRC, one of them finked on the other.

ChaosDynasty

ChaosDynasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

You just bolster my point, there.

I meant no seriousness in that comment at all...well except the having to find the page in english thing...:D

Actually, text shorthand isn't really used like it used to, with phones having full keyboards on them now.

and L33t is just people being silly.

Edited by ChaosDynasty, 07 September 2012 - 01:30 PM.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
OK, coming up on the deadline for Week 2.

As of now, you have about 9.5 hours to get your shots in to me. Good Luck to everyone!

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
Ffffucking hell. Just as I was gonna submit my results, the site went down.

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
I'm glad I submitted mine earlier :3

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts
Yeah, I think it happened to more than one player. :V

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
yeah it was having trouble this weekend but there were quite a few times the site worked. Submitted mine on Friday during one of those working times lol

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
Being that we have been having site difficulties, if you have not yet submitted your screenshot, I will extend the deadline to midnight tonight, and post results, after that.

This is the very scenario where it is a good idea to send one in early, just in case you find yourself unable to, later on. As you can see, unevrno what can happen.