Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

ACS Battle Arena

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
222 replies to this topic

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
Do you like the legacy titles? This class consists of AC04, AC5, AC Zero and AC6.

How about the portables? AC-X, AC-JA, AC-AHLegacy?

Do you have any of these titles and the associated (working) devices?

Would you like to be able to 'fly' a random legacy challenge against an opponent randomly chosen from a pool of legacy players?

Would you be willing to commit to playing at least one challenge match per week?

Do you have a digital camera or phone camera for taking full-screen shots?

If you said 'yes' to all these questions, you may be just the person I'm looking for.

No, this is not an Aquila recruiting pitch. I have developed a system of matching up players randomly by what legacy title(s) they can play, along with random assignment of the challenge mission for that title.

I will not compete, but I will run this system, judging the results and making the associated announcements on a weekly basis, here on ACS.

However, to have it work, I need a group of people that will commit to playing one match per week, every week.

Interested? Questions? Please post in this thread.

Thanks for your attention,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here are the members signed up so far, along with their missions played -vs- missions won. Changes will be updated in this post;

Posted Image

I'm trying to have as few rules and restrictions as possible here. See below.

* Matches will be won by high score / low time to tiebreak, (with the exception of AC6, which does not give a usable time) unless otherwise noted at mission assignment time. The other option is a time-based mission. Since these involve no scoring, in the event of a tie, a second mission will be flown as a tiebreaker. A second mission will also be flown in the case of a tie in AC6.

* Fly at any skill level you choose. Likewise, you get to pick the plane you and your wingmen, if any, fly (see restriction on superplanes, below) and your choice of weapons carried.

* No superplanes/fictional aircraft allowed on ANY game in the Battle Arena. This restriction applies to your wingmen, if any, as well. Just so there's no confusion, a list of non-approved aircraft follows;

- ADF-01 Falken
- ADF-02 Morgan
- CFA-44 Nosferatu
- Fenrir
- GAF-1 Varcolac
- YR-99 Forneus
- YR-302 Fregata
- X-02 Wyvern
- XFA-24 Apalis
- XFA-27
- XR-45 Cariburn

* I understand that circumstances may result in a competitor missing the deadline for turning in their required screenshot. In these situations, their opponent will win the match by default, assuming that they turn in their screenshot by the deadline. Not to mention you only get three chances to default. Three strikes and you're out. No exceptions.

<cue committment rant>

Flying any mission from any game doesn't take longer than 30 minutes or so. There is really no excuse to not fly the mission. I strongly suggest running through it early in the week to get a screenshot showing that you completed the mission. This way, if you don't have a chance to fly it again (really?) you at least have completed the mission, and no matter your score, if your opponent defaults, you win!

You should already have checked that your game console/portable device does work and your game disk/data device also is up to speed. (If you have not completed a game at least one time, please do not list it as available for competition, because you will not be able to access all the missions via Free Mission until you complete it.)

I feel that, when you bail on a match, you disrespect your opponent, you disrespect this forum and you disrespect me. Now that last one may not move you, but old people have long memories, mostly because we write it down. :lol:

</rant>

That's it for now.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I would say yes, but I don't even HAVE Ace mode unlocked on any of these. I've only ever played normal, so I don't think I qualify.

The system will work for all skill levels because I do not restrict it to Ace level only. That has always been an iffy proposition anyway, because there was no way to verify that a competitor was flying at Ace level. On the other hand, you need to realize that the higher you go in skill level, the greater your score possibilities, for the most part. This should motivate you to get back on the game and work up to Ace level on your own, because, even though someone playing on Normal level could get a better score than their opponent who flys Ace level, on the whole, the higher skill level, the better your chances for a win.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, to be able to attract the greatest number of participants.

Funny. About this time last year, I was (rightfully) getting pissed off at seeing these kind of competitions that didn't included ACX. And also a bit because I couldn't apply my experience on the PS2 games, since ACX is in essence one of them, but it's nobody else's fault I don't have them.

Now, I have an Xbox and AC6, but still no PS2. How ironic.

Oh well. I'm in for AC6.

This system can be used for all legacy-type games, as long as you can take a screenshot of your ending score. This is why AC-AH is NOT included for this system. I do not know if AC-X or AC-JA give you a 'debrief screen' like the PS2 games do. If so, then we can probably do it. More discussion can be held on this subject, if there is sufficient interest. I would appreciate it if someone could post debriefing screenshots from the portables so I can see what I have to work with. I will also need the names of all the missions for matching purposes, plus which missions are time-based, rather than score-based. I have the PS2 games and AC6 covered, but none of the portables.

Again, I want this to be open to as many legacy players as possible. If the game allows Campaign play with mission debriefs (like AC-AH does NOT), we can probably support it, with the caveat that we need players in decent numbers to make this work and be enjoyable for all participants. If only 2 people sign up for AC-X, guess who is gonna get put into any AC-X, matches that come up.

If the portables can fit into this system, and we have a greater number of players because of it, perhaps we can get Namdai to float some prizes for the highest-ranking players. This, as I see it, would be a 'King of the Hill' type system, basing placement on the ratio of matches won -vs- matches played. A minimum number of matches will have to be played, of course. Still thinking on that one.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I too have ACX and JA, so I could try it.

Well, I hope that members will want to play matches in all the legacy games.

If you (anyone, not just you, CD) are interested, please list all the Ace Combat game titles you are wanting to be considered in for matchups.

Example: Yellow 13 - AC04, AC5, AC0, AC6

The more games the better. Consider...in the 4 console legacy titles supported by the system, there is the possibility of flying any one of 120 different missions. (Most of these, of course, are from all three 'paths' of Zero).

If we can add the portables, that number will rise.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

If I get my AC04,5, and Z games from home this weekend I'd probably be able to do this sometime as well.

That'd be great, but I need better than 'sometime'. For this to work, I need the committment of one mission a week for an extended period. I need a pool of competitors, the more the better, to ensure a decent mix for everyone.

Thankfully, one mission a week is not overly demanding. ;)

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I have AC04, AC5 and ACZ, all ready to go!

Great! I have added you to the list of competitors.

Please, everyone, be sure that your game consoles and disks work, as well as your digital camera/phone camera.

And before anyone posts, saying, "I don't have a camera.", I'm sorry, but you won't be able to compete in the Battle Arena. We have had too many cheating scandals over the years in legacy competitions to have any kind of confidence in anyone's unsupported word.

Just as with other individual challenges and squad -vs- squad competitions, a readable full-screen shot must be submitted, containing a index card/piece of paper in the unused corner (normally lower-right) that has your ID and the date the mission was flown.

Superplanes will still be banned, under the rationale that the player must complete certain requirements to possess them, and everyone may not have met those requirements, as they are not needed to complete the game. These are fictional aircraft that have never seen actual production or prototyping and usually carry advanced weaponry. A full list is given in the first post.

This is done in an effort to make the games as fair to all players as possible. We appreciate your cooperation.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I could probably get one of those av cords, but my first match can not be a psp title or I would had to default as I would have to order it as the match starts. Can you accomodate that, 13? If so, that would be nice as well.

Glad to see you fixed it, but I'm gonna get up on the soapbox here like you didn't yet, K?

Random means just that. I have no control over who gets assigned what matches.

I mean, sure, I could go, "If Ares comes up with a portable match, just throw him back into the pool", but that's just what I cannot do. I have to remain impartial in the process, or it isn't fair to the other participants.

If the worst-case scenario comes up, you may have to forfeit, but let's try it with a small card....maybe about 2 postage stamps big? Print small, but make it bold, take some test shots, adjust as needed. Make your shot bigger, maybe, to include some of the game device, so you can go past the screen. The screen can be smaller on the shot, to give you more room for the ID card, as long as it's readable.

For everyone: These questions are just the ones that I'm trying to avoid here. It is not my responsibility or place to change my system to accomodate you. By signing up, you agree that you will abide by the rules as given. If you cannot, that is not, technically, my problem. You are just unable to participate. You notice no one complains that they don't have a camera anymore, right? Because it's a must and people know you can't play in formal competitions without it.

I'm not even trying to be snotty here, it's just the fact of the situation. Similar situation; you signed up for baseball with a league, say, and you are expected to provide your own equipment. It is not the coach's responsibility to make sure you have equipment or that it's even in good shape. In general, it's gonna be; It is your responsibility to acquire the proper equipment for whatever activity you partake of.

This is why I am taking 2 weeks from my original announcement to the first set of matches, to give everyone time to get their shit together. So go to it! :D

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Meh, so this will start this Sunday, August 26th if I'm not mistaken?

That's the plan. Each week, competitors will have their screenshots to me by 2359 hrs on Saturday night, Central Standard Time (GMT-6). The winners will be announced, and the next set of matches will be announced, before 2359 hrs on the following Sunday night, CST.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
OK, I have deleted all unnecessary posts, leaving only the ones that explain the workings of the Battle Arena and the rules as given in the first post of the thread.

Everybody ready? Here we go.....

ACS Battle Arena Matches - Week 1

Hornet –vs– =Delta= in AC-6 Mission 3 (Sipli Field)

Round Table’s Knight –vs– Raptor 1 ‘Dragonheart’ in AC-04 Mission 5 (Lifeline)

Lamaboy85 –vs– Oka_Nieba in AC-5 Mission 25 (Heartbreak One)

Ares –vs– Chopper15 in AC-0 Mission 18S (Zero)

Broth3r –vs– Joeyski in AC-JA Mission 7 (Safe Recovery – Alpha)

PositronCannon –vs- ChaosDynasty in AC-6 Mission 12 (Weapons of Mass Destruction)

Screenshots are due NLT (No Later Than) 2359 hrs CST (GMT-6) on September 1st, 2012. PM your screenshots to me before the deadline.

Good Luck to all competitors!

ChaosDynasty

ChaosDynasty

Just some random person...ya know?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
Question: how many attempts do we get to post a best score?

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Question: how many attempts do we get to post a best score?

The preferred method would be for you to save screenshots from your runs and, at the end of the week, send me the best one. You can fly the mission as many times as you want.

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts
Apologies for the late appearance, but I'd like to put my name down here.

Tomcat - AC04, AC5, ACZ, AC6, ACX, ACJA, ACHL

Addendum: While I have completed one campaign run of both JA and AHL, I believe I haven't explored all the paths to unlock absolutely every single mission just yet.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

Apologies for the late appearance, but I'd like to put my name down here.

Tomcat - AC04, AC5, ACZ, AC6, ACX, ACJA, ACHL

Addendum: While I have completed one campaign run of both JA and AHL, I believe I haven't explored all the paths to unlock absolutely every single mission just yet.

Well, we only have one other member who is playing AHL, so you two may not get matched up for awhile. As long as you can use the Free Mission feature to play the missions, you should probably be OK, but if you're missing some, you'll want to get those done before your name comes up in the drawing for those titles.

The question was already asked if I could just avoid some particular missions for a member. I cannot, and have it be fair to everyone else. If you get assigned a mission that you cannot fly, for whatever reason, you will default that match.

Do you still want all those titles? :huh:

Tomcat

Tomcat

Shooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

The question was already asked if I could just avoid some particular missions for a member. I cannot, and have it be fair to everyone else. If you get assigned a mission that you cannot fly, for whatever reason, you will default that match.

Do you still want all those titles? :huh:

I can go back to those games and unlock what's left without any real issues. And sure thing, I'll be fine with all the titles, and I do have means of taking images of results, so that's not a problem either.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I can go back to those games and unlock what's left without any real issues. And sure thing, I'll be fine with all the titles, and I do have means of taking images of results, so that's not a problem either.

Great! Welcome to the Arena.

For all participants - since we now have an odd number of participants, future matchups will have one player sitting out, until we regain an even number of players. As this is a randomized assignment of games and missions, there is no way of knowing who will sit out.

That is all.

Ares

Ares

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
So somebody gets a bye week each week until another player comes in. Interesting.

Chopper15

Chopper15

Playing without trash-talking has no sense at all

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
Tommy has ALL the AC games in the Arena, I envy you now.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
OK, at this point, everyone should have had their screenshot turned in. I've spent most of this last week and most of yesterday and today trying to deal with P.C. problems. I will announce the match winners AND the next week's matchups later today.

I haven't compared anyone's scores, so Good Luck to everyone!

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
ACS Battle Arena Matches - Week 1 Results

Hornet –vs– =Delta= in AC-6 Mission 3 (Sipli Field)
Hornet wins with a score of 52,890.

Round Table’s Knight –vs– Raptor 1 ‘Dragonheart’ in AC-04 Mission 5 (Lifeline)
Raptor 1 'Dragonheart' has dropped out of the Arena. Round Table's Knight wins by default.

Lamaboy85 –vs– Oka_Nieba in AC-5 Mission 25 (Heartbreak One)
Oka_Nieba has dropped out of the Arena. lamaboy85 wins by default.

Ares –vs– Chopper15 in AC-0 Mission 18S (Zero)
Chopper15 wins with a time of 1'22". :blink:

Broth3r –vs– Joeyski in AC-JA Mission 7 (Safe Recovery – Alpha)
Broth3r wins with a score of 25,820.

PositronCannon –vs- ChaosDynasty in AC-6 Mission 12 (Weapons of Mass Destruction)
PositronCannon wins with a score of 79,190.

Congratulations to the winners! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The leaderboard in the lead post has been updated. Week 2 matches will be posted by the end of the day.

Good Luck to everyone! :)

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
Wow, it was that close? Well, I'm glad I ran through the mission a number of times throughout the week. Was having trouble breaking 48,000.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
Since two players dropped out of the Arena, we still have an odd number of competitors. One pilot will be given a 'bye' for this next week, unless someone new registers today.

Anyone who may be interested in a continuing series of legacy / portable matches, please read the topic from the top, to make sure you can fulfill the few conditions of the Arena, then post, giving the game titles you wish to be considered for.