Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Confused about which plane to choose for each mission

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

Deathshade

Deathshade

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts
I just got Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception for PSP, and so far I like it. However, there are just so many planes that I always get confused which one I should choose for each mission. I always choose the last plane I unlocked. So I buy every plane, and I just choose the last one I unlocked and bought for the upcoming mission. Do you think I'm doing something wrong by doing this? But it seems to me that each new plane unlocked is appropriate for the next mission. Maybe the game is designed this way?

So any ideas about which plane to choose for each mission? Should I keep doing what I'm doing? Also, what are multirole and experimental aircraft and when do I use them?

Also, I sometimes get confused about which special weapons to choose. For instance, if I'm in an air-to-ground mission, there are several air-to-ground special weapons. How do I determine which special weapon to choose?

Oh, and one last question. The part upgrades are applied to all currently owned planes, right?

Thanks in advance.

SkyGuardians

SkyGuardians

Incompetent Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

I just got Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception for PSP, and so far I like it. However, there are just so many planes that I always get confused which one I should choose for each mission. I always choose the last plane I unlocked. So I buy every plane, and I just choose the last one I unlocked and bought for the upcoming mission. Do you think I'm doing something wrong by doing this? But it seems to me that each new plane unlocked is appropriate for the next mission. Maybe the game is designed this way?

So any ideas about which plane to choose for each mission? Should I keep doing what I'm doing? Also, what are multirole and experimental aircraft and when do I use them?

Also, I sometimes get confused about which special weapons to choose. For instance, if I'm in an air-to-ground mission, there are several air-to-ground special weapons. How do I determine which special weapon to choose?

Oh, and one last question. The part upgrades are applied to all currently owned planes, right?

Thanks in advance.

First, welcome to ACS, we hope you will enjoy your stay here.

For each mission, the briefing will inform you of the different targets there are, and whether they are sea, air or ground targets. The game is designed so that the most advanced aircraft are at the lower right, and the beginning aircraft at the upper left. The attacker/fighter closest to the bottom right should be the best one you have, but experimental aircraft can outperform even the best conventional aircraft sometimes (more on that later). It's completely fine to buy any aircraft that you unlock.

Experimental aircraft are the only aircraft you can 'tune' with parts. To do so, you must first purchase the part in the hangar, then go to the tune menu. Parts have specific experimental aircraft that they can be used on. Multirole aircraft can perform well in any mission, regardless of mission type.

I think this walkthrough can explain the uses of the different parts and special weapons.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts
I wouldn't worry too much about plane and weapon choice. If something doesn't seem to work for a particular mission, retry and use something else. Generally, if there's lots of planes, you want to use XMAA/XLAA/QAAM; if there's clustered ground targets, stuff like UGBL, XAGM or FAEB is your best bet; and LASM and GPB work great against ships and heavily armored targets respectively. But it's far from impossible to beat any mission with any plane and any weapon, at least on the lower difficulties. It's on the higher difficulties where it really makes a difference, but by then you'll probably know what works best for each mission.

"Multirole" and "experimental" are little more than descriptive terms and don't really influence anything (well, multiroles are supposedly good at both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat, but some fighters are just as good). Unless by experimental you mean the fictional planes, but that brings me to...

No, only certain planes (the fictional ones) can equip extra parts, and each has their own set of parts they can be equipped with. You'll know which planes they are by going into the tuning menu (I forget the exact name).

Edited by PositronCannon, 29 April 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Lerajie

Lerajie

Yui-chan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
I also seem to think that every new aircraft unlocked is recommended for that particular mission, but the decision is totally up to you. I usually end up picking the F-16C (Well, 1, because it's my favorite aircraft, and 2, because no matter what I do, the moment I unlock the F-16C I play through the whole game with it. I've done it will all the previous AC's as well.)

One thing to pay attention to is the mission briefings. Pay attention to the numbers of enemies whether ground or air targets, and approximate their numbers. If you see a mission area that is crowded with enemy ground targets, then it's best to take Air-to-Ground weapons with you. If they are clustered together (For example: Airport hangars, Tents, Vehicles) It would be a good idea to select bombs either UGB/GPB/FAEB's as they cause splash damage and will destroy whatever you drop them on, along with any targets in it's blast radius. Otherwise if you see ground targets that seem to be in columns, or convoys, then you can take either UGB/GPB/FAEBSs (if you are comfortable with them) or XAGM's as they target 4 enemies at 1 time. LAGM/LASM missiles are occasionally useful as they do some splash damage to surrounding areas, the way I use them is mainly for taking out enemy AA's or SAM's (Or any other priority threats to your aircraft) from a distance before I can fly in and destroy mission objectives. Always keep in mind that there is a high possibility of there being enemy aircraft in the mission area. So make sure to outfit accordingly (Well, your regular missiles can also be used for this job). But by just getting used to the game, you'll probably find yourself relying less on special weapons (Which is sort of what I do), mainly because like all Ace Combat games, you have a massive amount of regular missiles which work very well for both air and ground targets. Also, there are some targets that take more than two regular missiles to destroy, if thats the case, you can fire off your regular missiles at it, while at the same time, firing your guns at the target to damage it while the missiles recharge. Alternatively, you can use your special weapon (depending on what is selected and your target).

I usually end up taking an F-16C with XMAA's as I'd use the XMAA's for air targets, and the regular missiles for ground targets.

The multi-role aircraft are those aircraft that have the capabilities to effectively engage both ground and air targets, while experimental aircraft, well are experimental- as in aircraft you would normally not recognize (If you have knowledge of modern fighter aircraft). "Fictional" may be a better word to use.

Oh and the upgrades only apply to fictional aircraft on ACX.

Hope this helps!

Oh and Welcome to ACS! ;)

Edited by Lerajie, 29 April 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Deathshade

Deathshade

Noob

• Members
  • 3 posts
Ok thanks everybody for replying! :)

The info was really helpful.

And a pleasure to meet you all. :)