Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Online oddities...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

Anubis860126

Anubis860126

Noob

• Members
  • 7 posts
Hi all!
this is my first post and i wanted to salute all the guys and girls of this nice forum!
My name is Anubis and i'm from italy..i'm a ace combat veteran since ace combat 2 on old psx days...sight this make me feel soooooo old...anyway. returning to the topic..
i played several and several hours on ac:ah online...and i saw sooo many strange things that i wanted to ask opinion to other players....you are a great community formed of experienced players...so...who bettwr then you can post your experience and knowledge?^^
ok..hoping to not bore you..let's start!

1) untouchable planes in dfm: it happens sometimes that some players are just untouchable in dfm...no matter the position, the angle , the speed , the weapon i use..they look like fling in "normal" loops not even using afterburnes..and they dont' get touched! not weven a single time! first times it happened i thinked it was a lag issue (i'm in italy and i'm pretty aware that our connections are very slows compared to other countries..we have 7mb in download and 300kb in upload..so..) but at the same time i though there is somethign wrong..i encountered the same guys in thesame plane..and in another room...no problem in hitting others..but this guy was again untouchable...i'm a good experienced player..not the best of the world, of course..but at leas on 20 QUAAMs ONE should hit ONE time.....it looks strange to me..so..i ask about your experiences

2) unlockable planes in DFM: experienced in several rooms, some persons look like unlockable for some reason..sometiems i just fly at trheir six, they fly straigth for 10 seconds..no dfm circle appear....again could be lag..but WHY only on cercain guys?? i know, again it could be an enourmus difference of bandwidth...but still looks so strange

3)f14/f33 spamming 4aam/6aam : this is ruining the entire deathmatch experience! thiose guys, usually japanese, use f14/su33 mostly...they spawn their planbe...fly VERY SLOW and hit all other people with almost no miss, alwais. theiy do not even care to be shot down..they do not try to avoid missiles! tythey just spawn, keep firing long range missiles more they can normally do..and do 30 kills in more or less 5 minutes..i wondered if it's some skill mixture..like homing missile with somehtign else...but then i just thinked that it's too odd..i played with those plane and weapons too..and they NOT have the ability to hit planes all the time with a 80% accuracy..even when they are circling in dfm at max speed....but i can wrong on this..so i ask your opinion too..glitching or regular play?...

4) spawing glitch: this is a derivate of the point 3....again usually a f14/su 33 but this time, not flying slow but hovering on the spwning point...alwais firing long range missile tha hit everyone..i read in another topic that could be a server side issue and i agree..but the strange its that happens ALWAIS on people that spams long range missile..never been hitted by a normal missile or a quaam or a saam.....so it's fishy, for me...again i ask your experience to guide me^^

this is all came in my mind at the moment...so..i ask you..how to avoid those situations? if those are caused by unfair players, how to make them stop? is there a way to make to stop them glitching?...

thankls for your answers in advance, i hope to see you in the skies! (i have still to find ONE of you..sigh...)

kuroi

kuroi

Clockup Flowers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
1- Host has bad connection. I'd suggest using Enhanced Direct Shot if that helps.

2- Just bad connection. Happens to me when I'm in a laggy lobby hosted by a European.

3- Homing missiles with 6AAMs are effective, but I'm sure you've seen how choppy player movements can be when they're in DFM, since occasionally they both seemingly stop in midair and the game quickly updates their position quickly. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were also killing players that were just floating on their end.

4- Could be a mix of poor connection again.

Anubis860126

Anubis860126

Noob

• Members
  • 7 posts
thanks for youa answer x10a freedom, but i must insist on the point 3
it happende too many times to see a first place guy at 28 kills to be surpassed by a guy entered in the room 2 minutes before the end ALWAIS in a f14/su33 alwais hitting everyone..com'on i saw 6 people killed in one shot..no missing...it's too strange..and alwais the same guy....it's just not justified just bey the pilot skill and the game perks, more it happens with ONLY some guys that everytime it happens are alwaisFIRST in no time....at least this is my thoug...do u think could be other reasons other then the ones you just told?..i hope to not bore you with my doubts and i thank you again for your answers.

Edited by Anubis860126, 11 January 2012 - 10:48 PM.

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
1) Happens a lot to me, especially Japanese players, and I have quite the connection so its not just you.

2) This, might just be lag because normally I can lock if they're in front of me.

3) This I find most often, though its usually an Su-35 doing it for me. IDK why but I see it a lot.

4) I have seen this many times too, and I don't think its simply a connection issue. Something fishy is indeed going on. Kinda like the time Someone was literally hacking and as soon as he spawned, the last guy that killed him exploded instantly while he just hovered, no matter how far away you were. *I don't mean some time after spawning, to coincide with netcode isuses. I mean insta death as his plane respawned 5-10 seconds after dying.

Theres no real way to stop the lag issues, glitching, cheap BS etc. Just gotta deal with it and be better than it.

Edited by Hornet, 11 January 2012 - 11:03 PM.

obliviondoll

obliviondoll

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
1. I'd call this a combination of lag and skill, personally. Good players can be REALLY hard to land a shot on, even with QAAMs. And adding a little bit of lag to this makes it even worse.

2. As X10 says, probably just the connection. If you're on a European host and most other players are also Euro, you SHOULD be ok. If it's a US or Japanese host, then you're going to have this happen a lot. It's probably either because the host doesn't think you're close enough, or they've turned and it just hasn't updated on your screen yet. Both are lag issues, and are fairly common with online gaming.

3. Adding the Homing Missiles upgrade makes this tactic viable. It doesn't matter if you're getting shot down when you're landing 2+ kills every time. The better you are at timing your missiles, the better your odds of hitting - Just spamming every time you get a lock isn't necessarily going to work, but waiting for the right moment can get you some good kills.

4. Spawn hovering targets are a netcode glitch - basically, the game isn't registering their movements, so they look like they're not moving. This has upsides AND downsides for the person it happens to though. You can get close to another player, behind them, or in position for a long-range missile shot without them ever having YOU in range for the same thing, but other players can target your hovering plane even if you see yourself across the other end of the map. It's possible for the glitched player to kill others who don't see him anywhere nearby, but it's also possible for them to do the same to him.

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
As for #1, skill has nothing to do with it. For me, only people that are untouchable are Japanese folk who just fly like left or right, no flares, nothing, but never get hit by a direct shot missile ever, period.

Anubis860126

Anubis860126

Noob

• Members
  • 7 posts
thanks to obliviondoll and hornet for the answers (btw oblivion i send you a private message^^)as said bfore, especially on point 3 and 4 it's that in the rooms that happens it's not just on me..noone can escape those missiles..no matter the straegy , the speed and the position where u are , those guys will alwais do at least 4 kills! it's too fishy t belive it's just plain long range missiles and homing skill..i played with them too and there is no way to hit ALWAIS all planes u lock on..every time....anyway, even if it's "legal" (and i pretty doubt it) it's pretty game braking....dont' u think?^^

yes hornet, exactly what happens...it's incredibly strange to me! (btw if u are on psn u can add me anubis860126 , even now).
it's like they are NOT where they should....ad hironically are a lot easier to kill OUT of the dfm

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
I do have a PSN name but only for my PSP games. I don't own a PS3 :3 Either way, its the same as my xbl GT, DSHornet, if you have any psp AC titles.

Anubis860126

Anubis860126

Noob

• Members
  • 7 posts
unluckly i dont' own a psp...sigh..it wuold be nice to meet one of you guys in the skies..

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
Oh theres plenty of PS3 AC:AH folks around, so you'll find some soon enough to fly with :)

Razgriz67

Razgriz67

Apparently I'm weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
For #3 yea it's homing missiles. A few of us can tell you that Homing is extremely. A few times i have set out a burst if 6AAM's right as someone infrint of me DFMs me and the missile meant for that guy will does a U turn and hits him/her. There is also a chance of Longe-Range missiles skill that allows the missiles to travel a further distance

(btw if u are on psn u can add me anubis860126 , even now).

Which reminds me welcome to ACS and your now somewhere on this list of mine
http://acecombatskie...gt-and-psn-ids/

Veladus

Veladus

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Homing missiles is good but it's NOT that good. I use 4/6AAMs very often and I ALWAYS have homing missile equipped. Getting 2 kills is rare unless it's a rookiefest. At least 50% of the time they all miss.

And yeah, his whole post is pretty much a summary of why I find this game intolerable online. I only ever do it to unlock stuff because I'm a completionist. Whether PSN or ACAH, something seems almost designed to make half the player's connections suck, meanwhile the game has VERY low tolerance for lag. You can almost never tell when someone is cheating because the general online experience is so goddamn piss poor that most people look like they're cheating due to the Pony Express method of packet delivery. And don't get me started on the lagspike when someone joins.

Anubis860126

Anubis860126

Noob

• Members
  • 7 posts
thanks to razgriz and veladus for yopur answers

razgriz, tywm for yoru warm welcome^^

and veladus i understand you completly but , i think i'll stay strong and try just to ignore the cheaters...after all i can alwais leave the room or just do not consider their existence...it's not who is on 1st place the better pilot...when those people are in the room i am..i just change my aim to the second place..that is usually the "normal 1st place" or better the score of a normal good player that is playing fair...it's just all about not getting angry for a game..but i know ho can be frusstrating to play with unfair people....anyway i wuold be glad if u, sometimes wuold like to fly with me the same :)

OptimusXJFR

OptimusXJFR

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I am one of those annoying F-14 missile spammers. When the room is a rookiefest I'm take out tons of players. When skilled players make up the room, I might make tons of kills in the first few minutes, but then they catch on and I have a harder time and do worse as the round goes on.

The key is to pay attention to your radar and look at where the missiles are when you hear the warning. Then timing to dodge is different. If you can tell it is a 6AAM you will have an easier time knowing how to dodge.

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
Its not the easy regular spam thats hard to avoid, its the 80-100% kill 6/4aam spam we're talking about. They're moire accurate than AC6's QAAM and I have the same setup with homing missiles. I do the same and spam the 6AAMs at first until I get within range and dogfight *i've found my favorite tactic is making them waste their flares on regular missiles and then firing a salvo of 6aam in dfm lol* but even with homing missiles etc they are not that accurate as these glitchy ones.

Edited by Hornet, 12 January 2012 - 03:02 PM.

Anubis860126

Anubis860126

Noob

• Members
  • 7 posts
thanks to opimusxjfr for his answer

the problem is those guys., at your difference (i hope) almost never miss...and (i hope) you try to not be shot down withput even trying to evade... using 4aam and 6aam is a tecnique..use them to not move and kill everithing without moving or fight..well it's another thing...at this point i wonder why people liek that play...what is the fun in pressing ONE button (circle) not even moving?...

and hornet, i'm so sorry about not being able to fly with you...2 affine souls separated by console war XD

Razgriz67

Razgriz67

Apparently I'm weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
For me part of the fun is pissing the randoms off so that they can give me a half decent challenge

obliviondoll

obliviondoll

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
Just had another odd one happen in a game today... which led to me kind of making friends with the guy who did it...

Hit his Typhoon with a QAAM... kept flying, so I DFMed him. MG blazing away, but he was a hard target, so I didn't hit too much before my first missile lock (another QAAM), which also hit.

Still flying... hmmm... switch to regular missiles as I'm getting a good run with machineguns, and hit with another two missiles.

Then he counters and instakills me with his guns and one missile.

Next time I saw the same guy, he was flying a new plane, and I got hit with a full 6AAM volley and kept going... so he DFMed me, and I insta-countered and QAAMed him for a one-shot kill.

Severontous

Severontous

Rookie

• Members
  • 42 posts

Just had another odd one happen in a game today... which led to me kind of making friends with the guy who did it...

Hit his Typhoon with a QAAM... kept flying, so I DFMed him. MG blazing away, but he was a hard target, so I didn't hit too much before my first missile lock (another QAAM), which also hit.

Still flying... hmmm... switch to regular missiles as I'm getting a good run with machineguns, and hit with another two missiles.

Next time I saw the same guy, he was flying a new plane, and I got hit with a full 6AAM volley and kept going... so he DFMed me, and I insta-countered and QAAMed him for a one-shot kill.

Was he using extra armor w/ defender? or burst?

Fighting99thFS

Fighting99thFS

Rookie

• Members
  • 48 posts

When u counter u are usally a lot closer than if you where the first to dfm. Thats why alot of times its a one shot kill.

Edited by Fighting99thFS, 13 January 2012 - 01:02 PM.