Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Condor's AC Shorts

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Squad:3rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

Then I expect a confusing rondo the likes of the Rhodesian Bush War.

Hmm, yes... I'd very much like to see more of this "Condorverse".

Edited by =Delta=, 05 September 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:R-101 Delphinus I

I forgot to link the two Condorverse files to this topic then.

Memoirs and World News Archive.

Not sure if I'll publish the Shorts outside of ACS, but I'll probably come up with more as I think of them.

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Looking at "Necessary Demons", I'm reminded greatly of HAWX's premise. Not to say there's a problem with that.

Edited by =Delta=, 06 September 2013 - 11:10 PM.

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

You think that reminds you of HAWX's premise, check out the chapters where the Valahia gets mentioned. I'm doing a mashup of the two as a potential Memoirs sequel.

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Yeah, I noticed. Very much liked how you took advantage of Estovakia and Valahia's Eastern European bases. Certainly makes more sense in Strangereal than it did in the real world.

I also see that you seem to have extrapolated that the Verusean Continent is more or less Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East while the Osean Continent is the Americas and Western Europe. That's how I saw it upon getting to that point, anyway.

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Yeah. Usea is basically Central and Southeast Asia, Japan (North Point) and France (Erusea). Emmeria is what happens if Canada were English and Italian (Ratio).

What I'd like to do at the moment is basically really carve up Sotoa more than what the map suggests, after all it did happen with Anea. You'd have one big dictator republic, South Sotoa and an asspile of failing states in between with a Botswana or two for relative stability.

Edited by Condor 216, 11 September 2013 - 07:40 PM.

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Though I have to wonder as to your placement of Eastern European-styled and Middle Eastern-style countries are. From "Same Shit, Different Day", I get the impression that West Verusea is home to the Eastern European countries, even though supposed official sources say countries like Kaluga and Romny (Eastern European expys and Yuktobanian satellite states) are immediately south of Yuktobania.

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Aaand, another thing, actually. Your Cipher bit had me curious - since the traditional use of mercenaries seems more or less set to go out of style, given whatever laws you've set up against mercenary action in a sovereign warzone, will you be establishing a segueway of sorts that would turn the infamous mercenary lifestyle into a more legal business venture, similar to how we've done in the real world? Private Military Companies and all that?

I figure after the rabid mad grab that was the Belkan War, some sort of provisions against the use of mercenaries would be put into place so as to avoid future proliferation. The Scarface Squadron would probably be the best (and only) Strangereal example in terms of an official, organized private force.

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

I had Romny as a non-divided Korea, lol. West Verusea is mainly eastern Europe. Former Central Asian soviet republics are squished into Central Usea/FCU to provide the "bridge", with the exception of San Salvacion which I envisioned as Catalunya.

My mercenary continuity is similar in many ways to the real world, in that mercenaries are "as old as warfare" but combat as a straight up business venture, not just logistics, supplies, etc. really took off after the Cold War. The wrench in the Strangereal works is that now the accelerated disarmament and meteors get the defense industry directly involved with the private military firms when it comes to development (ZOE), not just with state armed forces.

I go into a little more depth in the Archive's Defense Global chapter. Basically the Belkan and Usean wars destroyed the militaries but not the complexes that helped them work, despite the promotion of peace. In fact I might go so far as to say that apart from General Resource pre-SecEnt, the military-industrial complex and the resources that fuel it are the only industries that survived the economic doldrums leading into 2010.

Blaze sees right into it past the rhetoric, and that's why he finds working with Kronus International Security such a tantalizing proposition.

Edited by Condor 216, 23 September 2013 - 12:28 AM.

=Delta=

=Delta=

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Interesting configuration. I've got West Verusea as mainly Central Asian countries myself. It kind of helps with the current conflict, but maneuvering chess pieces around that map is somewhat confusing given the more regional (and eventually continental) aspect of it.

And ahh, okay.

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

So I've been juggling the idea around in my head that if I ever somehow became the story lead for a total AC5 HD redux, I'd set it up with different protagonists by difficulty. You'd select the difficulty via an altered intro scene, in which Bartlett points to the one designated Blaze from the variety of nuggets left in the room apart from Chopper and Nagase.

The easier the difficulty, the closer to the cliche hero the protagonist is. Think FF.net rewrites. Naturally that makes Ricardo Villa the Ace difficulty pilot. He won't be unlocked initially and is only given a very minor profile hinting at a villainous nature on the website so people won't suspect he has his own storyline.

The kicker is of course that you'll face off against the ones you didn't pick as they'll be part of Hamilton's squadron in Mission 27. With that in mind, Villa gets the even shorter end of the stick as he'll be a Sulejmani-esque personality flying for Kronus (that's right, as one of the Gray Men) as a named ace that you have to down - although obviously if it's on easy, he won't be too much of an "ace" or feature that many maneuvers.

Selecting Ace difficulty therefore would get into his head over why he'd want to fly for Kronus in the first place as well as insights into his view on Osean history from 1995-2010. And as Villa you obviously won't end up flying for Kronus, instead Hamilton survives the tunnel run and you have to fight him over the Sudentor crater.

What I ended up writing was a shitty draft of the intro to the game if you select Ace difficulty. This...is his story. *Law & Order noise*

Spoiler

and no this is obviously not a teaser for future Villa chapters on memoirs :3

gunslinger

gunslinger

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Squad:Lone gunfighter for hire.
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle

Nice. If I recall right though, the ejection seat detaches from the pilot, when it reaches a certain altitude.

Edited by gunslinger, 23 October 2013 - 01:04 PM.

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Huh, okay. Aircraft mechanics aren't my strongpoint, I had to look up how the MiG-21 ejection mechanism worked to figure out how to write Pops' escape sequence.

The idea is that he's so wracked by immediate regret for choosing to stay with Wardog rather than take the Kronus contract or transfer to Venom that he attempts suicide rather than face the consequences of living as a traitor. U:

gunslinger

gunslinger

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Squad:Lone gunfighter for hire.
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle

Huh, okay. Aircraft mechanics aren't my strongpoint, I had to look up how the MiG-21 ejection mechanism worked to figure out how to write Pops' escape sequence.

The idea is that he's so wracked by immediate regret for choosing to stay with Wardog rather than take the Kronus contract or transfer to Venom that he attempts suicide rather than face the consequences of living as a traitor. U:

Yeah, I figured the suicide thing was what you where going for. In any case, I'm not one to let a technical mistake get in the way of enjoying good writing, although I may mock you at a later date about it. :P

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
ELE Service Station
B-57 Highway, 10 mi. ENE of Neu Eisendorf AFB

28 May 1995

It had been a fairly dull morning, and the light clouds that had begun rolling in over the course of the afternoon had made it even duller.

Despite the almost complete lack of civilian traffic along what would have been one of Belka's busier thoroughfares, business seemed to go on as usual, albeit mostly slowly.

One such customer had counted on it, while waiting for his colleague to finish at the station counter. Standing beside an equally-imposing Gnade R-Class SUV with a white runic logo, the black-uniformed officer of the National Workers Party's paramilitary kept watch around the otherwise deserted gas station for any other customers that might think about interfering with the party's business.

He rolled up a freshly-pressed sleeve just a little to check his watch. He found it hard to believe that it had only been that long since the biggest briefing of his career, as well as what he'd done to ensure its security.

The officer then looked inside the gas station's convenience store, where could see the clerk throw up a hasty fascist salute at his driver, clearly "proud" to have served the paramilitary with their needs. The driver returned the salute before leaving the store and returned to the vehicle with a small plastic bag of snacks in hand.

"Got us a full tank and a couple of sandwiches on the house. Want some?" the driver asked with a smile.

"Not hungry," the officer replied with a wave of his hand. "Not with these prices."

With the Allies at Belka's doorstep, every available resource had been diverted for military use, with the rest rationed to civilians. Fortunately for the paramilitary, they had first dibs on those rations being a quasi-civilian organization with military backing. It was a privilege that the officer clearly did not seem to enjoy exercising regularly.

Nevertheless, it was still better than paying the double-digit prices flagrantly advertised on the service station's signboards.

"Suit yourself," the driver added casually as he tossed the snacks in the SUV's back seat and opened the gas lid. "The benefits of bein' in uniform. So...what happens now?"

"I don't know..." the officer replied dejectedly, leaning against the vehicle and crossing his arms. "I honestly didn't think she'd actually do it."

"Well it's not like you gave her much of a choice," the driver advised as he set the amount on the gas pump. "Kill the Raven or get killed by Grabacr?"

"I want to say that's what we had to do, but..." the officer sighed, before looking out at a small convoy of military transport trucks rolling across the autobahn. "Having the Nightingale herself fall into our hands was the golden opportunity to ensure the Raven's escape and we blew it."

The driver finished his sentence with regret. "To be fair, we threw her into that snake's pit and just figured she'd help him. Not much of a plan either."

"Now Grabacr's got a girlfriend and we've lost our best hope of exposing this insanity." To which the officer slammed his hands on the hood of the vehicle. "How the hell are we supposed to explain this to the Department?"

The driver didn't seem to disturbed by the revelation though, his mind more focused on the LED digits of the liter counter. "Look, she proved her loyalty, we got rid of a traitor that the regulars couldn't. The heat's off of all of us, so we've bought some time to find another way."

"But once that snake starts running his mouth, everyone else is gonna shut up," the officer muttered with a pointed finger, before taking off his paramilitary uniform hat and laying it on the hood of the SUV. "The ones that don't are gonna be too scared to stand up straight."

The driver turned his attention to the nozzle, which had nearly filled the tank. "You and I cleared out the ones that were too scared. Check the dossier again, there's got to be someone."

"I guess it's worth a look," the officer muttered as he opened one of the back doors and took out a somewhat thick folder, rifling through its contents. "The only one I can see here that didn't leave immediately is..." he waved his hand dismissedly before settling on a name, "Gunther Heimeroth."

"...you're kidding? Let me see." The driver put the nozzle back into the pump and slid over to take a peek into the folder. "Heh, I know that face, I think I kicked his ass in some anti-war rally back in '93."

"I swear you enjoy this job a little too much for your own good, Gransee," the officer glared knowingly.

The driver shrugged it off. "Hey, I had a quota to fill, okay Ludwig? But yeah, the only problem I can see with that is that he's..."

"Michael's kid brother," the officer frowned as his eyes made their way down the dossier.

"Yeah. Ofnir the fascist boy scout leader," the driver sighed before closing the gas tank lid. "Walked right into the precinct and dragged Gunther out by the ear. The heck would he be doing at the briefing for the nuclear apocalypse anyway?"

"Big snake teaching little snake to grow the hell up the only way he knows how," the officer huffed as he closed the dossier folder and made his way around to the front passenger door. "Unfortunately he's gonna be coiled around Gunther until doomsday unless..."

"Unless what?"

The officer's eyes widened as he put his hat back on and got into the SUV. "Ofnir is on sortie against the Royal FATO Navy this evening. Gunther's gonna be kept on base for the next few days for some some indoctrination."

The driver wasn't quite convinced as he followed suit and put on his seat belt. "Even if we could persuade Gunther to cooperate, it's not like he's got any evidence to bring back to the Department. They're not going to devote resources to a hunch."

"We just need evidence that the briefing contained what it did," the officer continued as he slid the folder into the back seat. "So we need to get our hands on those presentation files."

"You sure they're gonna believe that?"

"A large presentation like that contains data that identifies its computer and creator," the officer explained hurriedly, the pieces falling together in his mind. "The very threat of nuclear attack will set all the Departments on alert, and they're not gonna buy that Gunther made it himself in his spare time."

"Yeah, that kind of thing is gonna snowball..." the driver explained as he started pulling away from the gas pumps, "so wait, why Gunther? We have access, so why can't we do it ourselves?"

"Just because the heat is off doesn't mean they think we're 100% loyal," the officer continued to explain as he rolled up the window. He eyed the gas station clerk through the clear side of the tinted glass. The clerk appeared to be nervously hoping the paramilitary cleared out of his place of business before they called in reinforcements. "Even if it's anonymous we can't risk them tracing it back to the Departments."

"I get it," the driver replied, "Get Gunther to steal it, they'll know his record and think he did it on impulse."

The SUV made its way across the service lanes toward the on-ramp leading back to the autobahn, which by now was empty for at least a mile in either direction.

"Exactly," the officer confirmed, holding onto the door handle for grip as the SUV turned around on the overpass to hit the off-ramp going back to Neu Eisendorf.

"But you want to do this again?" the driver asked, parking the SUV at the beginning of the on-ramp. "Risk another life?"

"Between this and the nuclear apocalypse, the Department won't just come up with a plan on their own," the officer replied, his tone now turning serious. "The sooner these lunatics get exposed, the sooner I can stop wearing this itchy, throwback piece of shit."

The driver sighed as he started the SUV down the on-ramp, accelerating as if to match the normally-unrestricted speed limits of the now-absent civilian traffic. "So what the hell is our plan?!" he shouted over the SUV's motor.

"When we get there, we volunteer for some extra shifts with the unit there," the officer said, focusing squarely on the horizon. "And then we lay out some crumbs for Hansel."

Spoiler

Georgia Ace

Georgia Ace

New and improved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Plane:F/A-18F Super Hornet

Nice seeing some more people trying to stop the whole "nuke our own land, that'll show them!" plan. I honestly can't wrap my mind around what those guys were thinking!

Those two guys seem to be masters of the "make it up as I go along" type of planning. Kinda dumb luck on their part happening on Gunther. Though it sounds like Gunther did what he did through their urging, I kinda prefer Gunther came up with it on his own. Keeps his urgency and all that, but there's no realistic way he could have gotten those plans all by himself, so there we go.

Though I have to say, trying to make it seem like Gunther did it on "impulse" is a bad idea on those two guys' parts. Something like this isn't done on "impulse", it just isn't really. 

If Gunther is "Hansel", does that make Zweig "Gretel"?

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Yeah, this is a tentative idea of what happened literally between the "Grabacr Four" and "Engel 2-3" chapters.

I think the idea that they want to quasi-frame Gunther just in case it goes wrong prevents it from being tied back to the people who tried to stop it. And when you barely have a week and a half before shit hits the fan, everyone gets desperate to come up with something.

BTW, did you get my PM on FF.net?

Georgia Ace

Georgia Ace

New and improved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Yeah, this is a tentative idea of what happened literally between the "Grabacr Four" and "Engel 2-3" chapters.

I think the idea that they want to quasi-frame Gunther just in case it goes wrong prevents it from being tied back to the people who tried to stop it. And when you barely have a week and a half before shit hits the fan, everyone gets desperate to come up with something.

BTW, did you get my PM on FF.net?

Ah cool. 

Yeah it just hit me how little time anyone had to even attempt to stop Eden. The fact they managed to get a squad of Foxhounds to intercept was a minor miracle in itself (though ultimately futile)

Actually I didn't see a PM. Are you sure you sent it?

Condor 216

Condor 216

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Should be the last one on the list, dated the last 16th.

Georgia Ace

Georgia Ace

New and improved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Should be the last one on the list, dated the last 16th.

Oh wait I see it now. I thought you had sent me PM today. Had me confused for a moment.

I'l get back to you in a bit, though I may not be able to reply very quickly as this week is turning into one of "those" weeks in college. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users