Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Questions/Feedback on ACJA thus far?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Mael Radec

Mael Radec

# 00

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts
  • Squad:STFS "PHOENIX"
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

Hey:(

The soundtrack is solid even if there are some inconsistencies.

burn...

F-16CJ (ES)

F-16CJ (ES)

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Squad:The Farce
  • Plane:F/A-18C Hornet
Also, why is the JASDF using F-15E's?

Hey all -

To those of you who were lucky enough to get to the stores yesterday to purchase ACJA, I hope you have been enjoying the online multiplayer modes, the new maps, and expanded arsenal of aircrafts. We want to make sure you are getting the most out of your playing experience so I want to open up this thread for gameplay/operating questions and feedback (positive or negative). Thoughts on the new maps, new control system, online modes, etc? Share them here!

little ace

little ace

ひぐらしのなくころに

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Squad:345th TFW "Lancers"
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor

Also, why is the JASDF using F-15E's?

It's easier using the already designed plane rather than making another "F-15J" for their forces. Wait, why aren't they using F-2A?

My feedback on JA: The game's pretty good, especially with Online capability. But it lacks on storyline. Try using countries that exists in the real world instead of PMCs. Don't always make the USA the "Good Guys" or Russia as the "Bad Guys", there's a bunch of other countries such as China, UK, etc. The missions are pretty good, but it can be a little boring except from "Sanctify" and so on.

Note: NB, would you read the entire forum? There's a lot of good suggestions that you guys can use, even though some of them use "Rough" languages.

Edited by little ace, 13 September 2010 - 10:35 AM.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Squad:DAS FUNK
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen

Wait, why aren't they using F-2A?

The F-2, while being a multirole, is the successor of the F-1, and is more tailored for A2G than A2A. On the other hand, the F-15J derived from the C, and thus is their primary A2A fighter.

YF-23 Black Widow II

YF-23 Black Widow II

Back 4 ACJA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Squad:The Lancers
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle
Well...
First of all, some of the BGMs sound like Japanese cartoons for kids and those ARE annoying
And I notice some gravity error. I mean, in some missions (like mission 17 "Sanctify" Phase 2), when I dive, the aircraft decelerates, and when I climb, the aircraft ACCELERATES!!! But it is back to normal in other missions.

But, I like the tuning system you add for all aircrafts. I also like the emblems, though.

And THANK YOU you've given me a way to spend my long holiday by publishing this game

Edited by YF-23 Black Widow II, 14 September 2010 - 11:58 PM.

F-16CJ (ES)

F-16CJ (ES)

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
Should we pin this page?

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts
  • Squad:156th TFW
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
I'll make you guys a deal. Stop with the bullshit SPAM and I'll pin this, OK?

F-16CJ (ES)

F-16CJ (ES)

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
Roger, I haven't even spammed here.

I'll make you guys a deal. Stop with the bullshit SPAM and I'll pin this, OK?

Procyon

Procyon

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Luftwaffe
  • Plane:XFA-27

This game is sold only through PSN, or also as retail UMD?

I want to see your opinions about the story being in real world instead of strangereal world. Namco probably did this to avoid transforming AC:JA to "Ace Combat 5 Portable", and maybe because strangereal world lacks consistent cultural/historical references (pyramids, british parlament).

Skull01

Skull01

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Plane:X-02 Wyvern

I want to see your opinions about the story being in real world instead of strangereal world. Namco probably did this to avoid transforming AC:JA to "Ace Combat 5 Portable", and maybe because strangereal world lacks consistent cultural/historical references (pyramids, british parlament).

... and here we go again... There's a whole topic on this already in the AC:AH forum. It's called Death of Strangereal, and is more than 20 pages long now. However, since you asked, i disagree with every single word you've said. ;) Check that topic out.

Procyon

Procyon

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Luftwaffe
  • Plane:XFA-27
[quote name='Skull01' date='Sep 23 2010, 04:37 PM' post='634426']
... and here we go again... There's a whole topic on this already in the AC:AH forum. It's called Death of Strangereal, and is more than 20 pages long now. However, since you asked, i disagree with every single word you've said. ;) Check that topic out.
[/quote

Well thanks and sorry,someone should post the link in this subforum

]

Will be this game available in UMD?

Edited by Procyon, 23 September 2010 - 03:48 PM.

Raptor 1 'Dragonheart'

Raptor 1 'Dragonheart'

Strong in the ways of the Raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Squad:345th TFW: The Lancers
  • Plane:F-22A Raptor
It is, as well as through PlayStation Store. I have the UMD, and I saw it on PSN.

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force/ Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat
Ok so, finished playing it on normal yesterday, and halfway through the final mission on hard now. Heres a few of my personal thoughts on it.

Pros:
I like the customizability of the aircraft with the tuning system, and the ability to choose whatever weapon for each slot of the 8 weapons given for each aircraft.

Some small easter eggs in the game such as the ACZ squadron color schemes for their signature planes( Schnee F-14D :huh: ) or the next closest plane of the same design. I also like the emblem system you guys added in, and while I haven't unlocked a lot I'll have to guess there are probably a lot of legacy AC squadron emblems to unlock.

The music is a bit of both so I'll post the positives here. The songs themselves are very nice and most do work well with their given missions. They don't sound like generic MIDI songs like most of ACXs, although I do wish a song similar to the one played for Alect Squadron would have appeared as that was one amazing dogfight song.

The multiplayer is another aspect I like, especially the coop mode. While I haven't been able to try it yet * being on a boat kinda limits that lol* I can't wait to,
Spoiler

Cons:
Storyline...I think everyone here has said it sucks. Granted I did actually like it more than HAWX's PMC plot, but still, it had a lot of work that could/should have been done to it.

Enemy AI. To be perfectly honest, it sucked. The only challenge was the final mission, and even then its not hard, just annoying.

Quick Time Events. Some might say, 'What QTE's?" I'll show you. When attacking certain air fortresses, they do something along the lines of what you might see in the AH trailer. Appear to simply push a button and their massive form starts to maneuver like a fighter jet. Also, against the final boss, sometimes when you fire missiles at him, he appears to do the exact same QTE Cobra move seen in AH's trailer, and other times does a QTE barrell roll similar to those in SWBFII. We need less of these, and more actual piloting again which is what brings many to the AC franchise.

Enemy Air Fortresses...just...no. There were way too many in the game. As others have said in other forums, it was like, " Oh another one, big deal." What made them great in previous games is there weren't a million of them flying around over the span of the entire game. Get some new superweapons please. Maybe something that hovers, floats, walks * not a darn Gundam Mech thing either, like a battle walker or something feasible* or drives on land.

Music. Heres where the cons come into play. While the soundtrack in general is great, the lack of a consistant theme takes away from the feel of the game to me. It sounds like HAWX1, which had no real theme whatsoever in terms of the soundtrack. AC5: Razgriz theme throughout, ACZ: The spanish guitar sequences and Zero's song, AC6: The Gracemeria theme. All those games had a nice theme that flowed throughout the game and I feel many would rather it come back.

Edited by Hornet, 24 September 2010 - 09:26 AM.

will01

will01

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Squad:Rogue
  • Plane:F-4G Wild Weasel
Whew, haven't posted here in a LONG time. :lol:

First of all seeing a namco representative here asking for feedback is awesome, so ill give you my opinion of the game as a long time ace combat lover.

-Story (Overall Grade: 3/10)

The real world setting was a nice change of pace. I liked the fictional universe but by the time that AC6's story unfolded the constant conflict with advanced aircraft on every continent around the same time was becoming...stale and unrealistic. It broke immersion with the story for be a detracted from the experience so im glad you changed settings this time around.

That being said the story iteslf was a D at best. The very idea of a
Spoiler
was bad and really needed to be looked at earlier on in the development process.
Spoiler
, but not the mess that was put together for the game. There was also potential here for making a
Spoiler
further ruining immersion. I felt that the story and characters in Ace Combat X was also week, both games stories lack personal involvement like the console ace combat games have been known for. My point here being that the story of this game didn't move you from mission to mission like the console ace combat games do and really lack personal involvement for the player. Its a place that needs improvement.

-Gameplay (Overall Grade: 7/10)

I am really enjoying this aspect of the game. The missions are fun and several have unique twists in them, its been a while since ive been surprised by a objective turn that happens in an ace combat game. The emergence of the two enemy bombers at Midway come to mind when I think of this. I was also really glad when I didn't have to fly down an improbable tunnel as a finale, another nice surprise to get Ace Combat out of the formula that they have been trapped in for a while.

One thing however, I would appreciate if at least on the harder difficulties that you wouldn't hold the players hand so much. I personally like missions I can fail by destroying the wrong objective or messing up my timing while rushing. It beings to mind the mission where you have to avoid damaging the transports carrying the nuclear fuel. You cannot target the transports directly so the only way your ever going to hit them is with stray gun fire. Its not very dramatic and makes the objective of not damaging the transports useless.

The expansion of the turning system from Ace Combat X was a great idea as well. It allows players to use lower level aircraft later in the game and yet makes them chose what aspects of an aircraft they like more and what they are willing to sacrifice. Its a good idea and again something else that should be included in future games.

I also think the difficulty is fair this time around, it may be because of the PSP's limited control scheme but im actually finding the Hard missions Hard and the Easy missions Easy. Its a better mix then the Easy missions = Brain Dead Easy and the Ace missions = Medium difficulty that was I find on the console versions of the game and even Ace Combat X.

-Multiplayer (Overall Grade: 9/10)

This is where the game really shines.

The interface is really easy to navigate but is not dumbed down for the sake of user ease of use. You get a full range of options to use to configure each match and a fairly varied range of modes to play in both campaign and versus. I was expecting a call of duty or halo automatic match making system and im really glad that you didn't go that route with this title. I haven't experienced one multiplayer issue yet as well and thats impressive, especially for a portable game. I really can't say enough of how good the interface is, use it and expand on it in future games.

The campaign multiplayer was done really well and I hope to see this kind of integration in future ace combat games. Its very easy to link up with players and communicate what your objectives are on the messages window. It also makes the campaign more dynamic and interesting having more humans to play with rather then terrible AI squadmates.

One of the few things I would change is to add the ability to make your own descriptions for the lobby type and to be able to make custom dialog messages on your speech "cross" during missions. I could see both technology and corporate reasons for not including this but its a minor issue and doesn't detract that much from the experience. This was one of my only gripes with the multiplayer mode in this game, other then that its fantastic. :P

Graphics (Overall Grade: 7)

This game looks a little worse then Ace Combat X but I don't think thats a bad thing.

Overall the graphics are worse then the previous game, but in the previous game I had slow down problems on my psp. In the final mission in particular I was having choppy issues with the system running the game, and that hurt it so much more then having slightly better textures. In the most intense battles I don't have a single issue with slowdown and to me thats a fair compromise. Where as the first game looked like an early PS2 game, this looks like a PS2 tech demo from before its release. Its not a significant gap, but it is there and that being said it still looks great.

Music (Overall Grade: 7)

I rather liked the soundtrack in this game. It was again different from what i was used to and I think it fit the game a little better then constant orchestral ballads or techno/orchestral mix that is the norm in ace combat games. I think it fit better with the setting of this game and made it more interesting. The occasional switching up of genres was fun and the music itself was great.

Voice Acting (Overall Grade: 5)

The voice acting in this game was ok, nothing special but nothing horribly bad either. At times some of the individual lines were cheesy but nothing seemed totally misplaced and the voice actors themselves were good. Overall nothing that didn't expect from a portable game, although I really liked the fact that you could use your AWACS controller and they did have slightly different dialog.

Overall I have really enjoyed this game and I feel like it was worth the cost. If this game had an engaging story then it would really be complete in my eyes, but it doesn't and since thats something ive come to expect from project ACES its a bit detraction. The rest of the game though is really good and I know ill be enjoying it for a long time.

Overall Score (7.5)

Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

CAN'T DED THE FISHBED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Squad:The Friendship Squad
  • Plane:F-4G Wild Weasel
For chrissakes PA, what the hell is this steep downward curve in fun your games are taking.

Pixy is a GOOD ace boss fight. The latest boss fights - Pasternak, Orishina from Sky Crawlers, Sulejmani - they are BAD BAD BAD. Bullshit AI hacking maneuvers are not the way to make a memorable and enjoyable final battle. I hope to god Akula in Assault Horizon is a fun battle that doesn't require the AI to pull broken maneuvers 24/7 to make it a challenge.

F-16CJ (ES)

F-16CJ (ES)

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
Yeah, Sulejmani was like a S-32 on steroids...

Thexare

Thexare

Noob

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Plane:X-29A
Echoing much of the disappointment. I quit a little after the 747 mission.

My biggest issues:

1. The ludicrous superweapons and flying fortresses. If you're going to make a game superficially set on Earth, then a minor terrorist group shouldn't be better armed than entire Strangereal nations. It's easier to accept this sort of thing when you're not supposedly dealing with Earth, but even with that in mind it was overdone here. Giant Enemy Aircraft in the second mission? Seriously? And then fighting them three times in the first ten missions? Way overboard.

2. Enemies spawning on top of you. The Egypt mission is a perfect demonstration, with the four attack helicopters appearing out of thin air around you. Not cool. If you want the player to come under sudden attack from all sides, don't pull enemies out of the ether. Have them come out from under sturdy (and visible) hangars, have some MiG-31s scream in from halfway across the map (they're fast enough). Every defense mission demonstrated this as well, with no advance warning about enemies that in every past game either spawned off the map, showed up from the beginning, or had a legitimate reason for their invisibility (submarines, cave networks, etc.)

2A. And related to that, the relative lack of enemies in most missions, at least for the first 2/3rds of the game (didn't play past that). I'm used to being able to find targets basically wherever I go, not confined to a third of a large map.

3. The clear focus on multiplayer seems to have come at the expense of single-player, which has always been what I play Ace Combat for. I don't object to the multiplayer components at all, but I think more work was needed for single-player.

4. Enemies felt slow and floaty. I don't know if this is a camera issue or something else, but if they weren't flying right at you it looked like they were just gliding on the wind.

Now, what did I like?

1. Six paint jobs per plane and selectable emblems. Yes, it's petty, but I fly in third-person and I like for my plane to look good. And to stand out on some of the backgrounds... flying night missions in a black fighter sucks.

2. Multiple types of "standard" missiles and the ability to mix and match any two subweapons. Not something I made a whole lot of use of, but it's nice to have the option.

3. The ability to tune all planes. I like the fictional plane designs, but it still seemed lame to limit the customization purely to those in ACX.

4. Some of the mission concepts were interesting - the one with the nuclear materials, for example. That was actually one of the few levels in this one I enjoyed.

Hornet

Hornet

The Ace of Aces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force/ Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

BACK ON TOPIC

Does anyone else find landing a bit difficult with a highly maneuverable plane?

I do but i think its because the way the stick is on the psp.

ICEYOUCOLD

ICEYOUCOLD

Permabanned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified

I do but i think its because the way the stick is on the psp.

Could be that. . .but I really had no problem landing any fighter in X.

F-16CJ (ES)

F-16CJ (ES)

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
Also, in ACX2 some missions have only have a few enemies, for example mission 17 Sanctify

Allies:

1x Antares 1 "Players choice"

Enemies:

Air

2x JAS-39
1x A-10A (Oruma)
1x MiG-31 (Gaviria)
1x Su-37 (Kiriakov)
1x MiG-1.44 MFI (Sulejmani)

Ground

3x Switch
2x Facilities