Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

evasive maneuvers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

ImAnAce

ImAnAce

Noob

• Members
  • 6 posts
hi guys. im a new member here. ive been playing ACX for 5 months, but i still havent mastered evading missiles.

so far, my way of evading is turning to a direction perpendicular to the missile's path, but sometimes i still get hit when the enemy shoots from a short distance or if he shoots from my 12.

im interested in the barrel roll, but i cant perform a quick one so i get hit.

when i battle with scarface 1 and zoe, i am amazed by their maneuvers(tho i can still kill them). i find it very hard to kill them w/o the sniper OS.

any suggestions?

thanx :lol:

FlyAwayNow

FlyAwayNow

When it all hits the FAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
The good ol handy Barrel roll still works, it's hard to explain "mastering" evasion. It just happens with the old breed naturally.

Raptor 1 'Dragonheart'

Raptor 1 'Dragonheart'

Strong in the ways of the Raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
Barrel rolling alone won't work. I've seen friends of mine get shot down doing that. My technique: Pull back on the control stick (not necessarily up) and roll a bit before the missile makes contact. And above all, seeing the bottom of your plane by holding Triangle on the enemy behind you is most likely a good sign that you evaded the missile.

AceWombat

AceWombat

Wah?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
Couldn't you just turn hard in any direction? Works fine for me.

Broth3r

Broth3r

ゴゴゴゴゴ

• Members
  • 6,898 posts

Couldn't you just turn hard in any direction? Works fine for me.

Yes, but there are situations where you can't afford to do that, be it for incoming enemies (or lasers >_>) from that direction, or you're rushing somewhere and absolutly need to get there ASAP, like the electrical transmitter in 15A. A careful barrel roll works better then.
Problem is, and I dunno if it's to save MB's, the ballistics of the game identify each fighter as sort of a square. You could get shot down by a missile which would otherwise only go trough or stabilizers, or near them at all. Plus, you get hit BEFORE the missile actually gets to you. So, you can't risk it, you need to stay clear of the missile's path. If you must do a barrel roll, make it wide.

Edited by Broth3r, 26 May 2010 - 05:45 AM.

Redout

Redout

hi im 12 and what is this i dont even

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Split-S works well against real missiles, and works wonders against AC missiles.

To do a split-S, roll upside-down and pull back on the stick. That's it.

Practice it against easier opponents until you get the hang of it.

Scarface-1

Scarface-1

Rookie

• Members
  • 12 posts
well if a missile is coming at me at my 12 i always roll left or right and then just dive downward, on my 6 i take some sharp ass turns and from my 3 or 9 o'clock i do nothing becaus i know the enemy will miss (i'm talking about single player btw not MP cuz in MP their real persons with their own tactics and stuff so yeah..)

Zero One

Zero One

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Split-S works well against real missiles, and works wonders against AC missiles.

To do a split-S, roll upside-down and pull back on the stick. That's it.

Practice it against easier opponents until you get the hang of it.

I agree. This works very well at medium-to-high altitudes. For lower altitudes where a split-S is not a feasible option, try this:

1. Break hard right or left.
2. Perform a climbing turn towards the enemy aircraft. (Presuming it's at your 6:00). The missile shouldn't be able to track that change in direction.

Xpand

Xpand

DUN DUN DUUUN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
In ACX I usually brake and make a Split S that envolves banking 180 and push hard and accelerate at the end... If I do not have enough altitude I bank 90 and push hard.

Rook pilot

Rook pilot

Noob

• Members
  • 2 posts
Hi i am a new one here and have an advice for you, if you like barrel roll then here is the trick if well performed, it will not only save you but give a good lock on the on on your 12.

when barrel rolling,you start gaining heigh you should brake hard but dont stall. note: if you by chance stall, afterburn and scramble other wise you are a sitting duck.

rook pilot

Galm118

Galm118

That guy

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
A good piece of advice is dont go flying close to them from your 12 if youre closing on them. If you see the caution sign then pull up and away and get on their six. Unless you can afford the time to fire your missle first at their 12.

Edited by Mobius8492, 03 May 2011 - 01:24 PM.

Raptor 1 'Dragonheart'

Raptor 1 'Dragonheart'

Strong in the ways of the Raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
One of my tips: keep the top of your plane facing the enemy. If you're being fired on from directly behind you, go down instead of up.

theozfox22

theozfox22

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts
Accelerate to as fast as your aircraft can go, dive down towards the ground, and pull up at the last possible second while turning and banking hard in any direction away from the ground. I've done this many times. The missile just crashes straight into the ground. In multiplayer it works even on QAAMs.

Edited by theozfox22, 30 May 2011 - 01:16 PM.

zephalken

zephalken

Noob

• Members
  • 6 posts
A tricky but effective way to avoid missiles is to to fly really close to an obstacle, i.e the ground, at full throttle, than suddenly hit the airbrakes and pull away from the object. With any luck, the missile will hit the object.