Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Need volunteers with modding/programming experience

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
  • Squad:FA
  • Plane:F-15SG Eagle
...to help me in making the inevitable HAWX Ace Combat mod.

Ace Combat: Boundless is, on the surface, just a remake of Air Combat. But, as part of SoU canon, the story strongly ties in with current Ace Combat canon and the in-mission and cutscene script develops Scarface 1, John Harvard, and (AC2) Kei Nagase as actual characters instead of just names and callsigns.

The story's all planned out and the script is in progress, but the first and most important step right now is for people to analyze the game's engine and see if making a new campaign is even possible. So, I'm asking for help from anyone interested. Eventually this project will come to encompass more of ACS as we will need members as artists, voice actors, and other roles. But for now, we need the capability to make a full custom campaign, entailing at the very least:

Scripted in-mission dialog
New mission breifings
New mission structure (but utilizing existing HAWX mission mechanics)

Anyway, a story teaser for the rest of you:

Late November, 1995: As the FCU's military is embroiled in a strategic standoff with expansionist Erusean interests and engaged in peacekeeping across the pond, a large formation of military ships and aircraft of unknown origin approach the remote Scali Islands, 500 miles south of Usea. Instead of swiftly retaliating, federal military and National Guard assets either mutiny or are mercilessly crushed. Within a week, 80% of the Scali chain is under the mysterious rebels' command, including the naval facilities at Port Horace, home to the FCUN's 5th Fleet, and the state capital, Donet City.

With another full week before an invasion fleet can be assembled in Comberth to retake the chain, all that remains to defend the island chain are a few scattered National Guard units

FCU Joint Forces Command makes the decision to reassign contracted assets from Scarface Tactical Aerospace Solutions from a low level peacekeeping mission in the Comona Islands in a desperate move to stabilize the situation in Scali before federal military help can arrive.

Unbeknownst to Scarface, the National Guard, and the federal military, the Osean CIA has been monitoring the incident closely, and holds the keys to deciphering the rebels' true intent.

So... who's interested in helping?

Jester.

Jester.

Your Masta

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified
Sounds interesting. Good luck man.

AceWombat

AceWombat

Wah?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Plane:F-4E Phantom II
This actually sounds quite good. I bid you good luck.

Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Cor' Blimey mate! What are ye' doing in me pockets

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F

Don't make me get "political"... you won't like me when I'm "political".

OH LAWL.

Back on topic...

What seems to be your hardest area of the modding? I can see who I can contact. I would need to know what source HAWX is.

Also, it would help if you could tell me a little bit about the actual mod....

Desert Fox

Desert Fox

• Members
  • 3,589 posts
Also, Zaku, I don't even think the coding in Hawx allows this much tampering.

If you had to do this. I would suggest try getting a team of coders together and making your own game.

As I said before, I'll see who I can contact and see if THIS IS a reality. If not, I hope you can still put your plan in motion..

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts

Also, it would help if you could tell me a little bit about the actual mod....

Given the depth of the storyline, I'm avoiding giving out too many details except to people directly involved. But we'll need modelers in the long run, both for some mundane work (real warships to replace the retarded future stuff in HAWX) and plot-specific stuff (wouldn't be AC without a flying fortress, would it?). Texturing is taken care of; I'm very experienced with it and have started work on schemes for the mod, while I'll post previews of soon. Ground textures will come from satellite maps of Hawaii, which the AC3 artbook shows Scali to be based on, so I can probably handle that, too. I've talked to a few people as potential VAs, but everything is contingent on whether or not it's possible to make a total conversion of HAWX from a programming standpoint. So basically, I need people to decompile and look at its code and figure out if this is possible.

Also, Zaku, I don't even think the coding in Hawx allows this much tampering.

HAWX uses a unique proprietary engine; it'll take everyone involved a lot of time and effort to crack this damn nut.

...but meh, I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs something to piss away time on this summer (...aside from getting my instrument rating).

If you had to do this. I would suggest try getting a team of coders together and making your own game.

I've considered it, but that would entail a lot more work. If modding HAWX fails, though, that's the next option.

As I said before, I'll see who I can contact and see if THIS IS a reality. If not, I hope you can still put your plan in motion..

Thanks, brah; I appreciate it.

viperzerof-2

viperzerof-2

Top Gun

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Plane:F-2A Viper Zero
i can rip models from 5 and zero if you wana look at them or use textures

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts

i can rip models from 5 and zero if you wana look at them or use textures

The only new playable aircrafts I'd like to add in from HAWX's existing inventory are the YF-22 and maybe the EASA X-01, and schemes will be entirely new. Player crafts' markings will be based on a variety of schemes. The F-16As that they initially arrive in will have AC2/AC6 DLC Scarface markings, while most planes acquired later on and friendlies' schemes use generic USAF patterns for the FCUAF/Scali ANG. Enemy schemes I can't really give away yet.

EDIT: Well... eh, I most likely will need a model from Zero. I'll let you know when we get to that point.

viperzerof-2

viperzerof-2

Top Gun

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

The only new playable aircrafts I'd like to add in from HAWX's existing inventory are the YF-22 and maybe the EASA X-01, and schemes will be entirely new. Player crafts' markings will be based on a variety of schemes. The F-16As that they initially arrive in will have AC2/AC6 DLC Scarface markings, while most planes acquired later on and friendlies' schemes use generic USAF patterns for the FCUAF/Scali ANG. Enemy schemes I can't really give away yet.

EDIT: Well... eh, I most likely will need a model from Zero. I'll let you know when we get to that point.

ok it works out because i'm doing a ace combat project myself an i need models

i'll see if i can get the ac6 ones souldn't be to hard though

viperzerof-2

viperzerof-2

Top Gun

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

ok it works out because i'm doing a ace combat project myself an i need models

i'll see if i can get the ac6 textures souldn't be to hard though

Ragin' Cajun

Ragin' Cajun

Infamous

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts
hmm. this reminds me of when my buddy and I tried to re-write BF2 coding. Damn Python. v.v

I've got Maya experience. I'm not a freak at it but I can f*ck around enough. I made my Su-47 afterall. :3

But hell artwork I'll help you on that if you want Zaku.

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
In terms of artwork, cutscenes/mission briefings will probably be World in Conflict-style: still pictures with dialog voiceovers. That should be all we need on the art side of things, but concept art may be necessary we can't convey stuff to the modelers well enough.

Desert Fox

Desert Fox

• Members
  • 3,589 posts
Yeah Zaku, I don't think it's possible to mod the current engine of HAWX. Looks like you'll have to start from scratch.

The engine used in H.A.W.X is developed in house and it's built for supporting a next-gen immersive experience from the beginning. It is based on multithreaded architecture. It is build especially to support our extensive use of special effects. The high number of effects combined with a high level of detail is too much for the CPU to handle most of the time in other engines, which is one of the main reasons that we decided to make our own engine.

Taken from here:http://gaming.hexus.....php?item=17003

Hat

Hat

nyoom~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
  • Squad:8.5AD
  • Plane:CH-47D Chinook

It's an inside joke, you wouldn't get it.

Then why would you put it in on the first place. As for HAWX, I can draw maybe concept art? Like you give me the story and I do a rough sketch on Flash, then the better artists out there can go do what they do with it.

Raef

Raef

Embrace the shit- be the shit

• Members
  • 4,014 posts
  • Squad:School of Hard-Cocks
  • Plane:EA-18G Growler
This sounds sweet as hell, though I think the only thing I could contribute is voice acting, and I'm not REALLY experienced or anything, not to mention I don't really know if I have the right equipment/software to do so.

Best of luck, Zaku.

I'm not trying to change the topic or anything, but there was an incident that took place a week ago in the Politcs section of Open Discussion. The user that I made the first reply to was there when it happened.

People get banned for much less things than your string of bunch of sticksry.

Shaddup.

Edited by Raef, 16 May 2010 - 10:06 AM.

Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

CAN'T DED THE FISHBED

• Members
  • 4,033 posts
  • Squad:The Friendship Squad
  • Plane:F-4G Wild Weasel

hmm. this reminds me of when my buddy and I tried to re-write BF2 coding. Damn Python. v.v

BF2 coding is hellish sometimes, but it can do some pretty awesome things when you get a hold of it (see: Sandbox).

Anyway, sounds good Zaku. I'd offer to pitch in, but I don't have a PC copy HAWX and I doubt my computer would handle it :lol:

Ragin' Cajun

Ragin' Cajun

Infamous

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

BF2 coding is hellish sometimes, but it can do some pretty awesome things when you get a hold of it (see: Sandbox).

Anyway, sounds good Zaku. I'd offer to pitch in, but I don't have a PC copy HAWX and I doubt my computer would handle it :lol:

Yeah, we were altering the coding of Sandbox and a smidgen of Project Reality, but mostly Sandbox. :3 god i love that place. lol We figured out the knife function and turned it into an arty strike. Lololol. So we basically rained arty's across the map. Another was flares lolol, and another was like an AT round. lolol. God i miss those days. T~T My buddy and I hosted our own server too. T~T

But someday!!!1!1 I'll have a desktop again or a new laptop that'll handle BF2 and I shall reign supreme once again!! Bawhahahaah!

RazgrizRogue

RazgrizRogue

Scrub McNoob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Squad:Funky Squadron
  • Plane:Ka-25 Hormone
I'd help but I'm afraid I can't offer really anything, maybe a random blurb of voice acting with a 13 year old boy's voice(I'm thirteen for christs sake), editing of story lines or just review of the overall story hich you probably already have done. Sorry I can't help

Panda

Panda

Katzenbär!

• Root Admin
  • 9,510 posts
  • Plane:E-767
Hey, I can draw, make graphics, and build in 3DS Max. My skill with 3DS isn't all that great, but there are always tutorials. If it requires Maya, then I'll learn that too. I don't expect the transition to be hard.

My laptop isn't great, but I do know how to use After Effects, so we can make those cutscene videos.

But does working on this project require possession of PC HAWX?

Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

CAN'T DED THE FISHBED

• Members
  • 4,033 posts
  • Squad:The Friendship Squad
  • Plane:F-4G Wild Weasel

My skill with 3DS isn't all that great, but there are always tutorials. If it requires Maya, then I'll learn that too. I don't expect the transition to be hard.

I'm pretty sure Max 7 can export formats that Maya can read and vice versa. I know a guy who uses both, I'll see what I can glean from him if converting's required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users