Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What's the best plane to deal with the Yellows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

Poll: What's the best plane to deal with the Yellows (112 member(s) have cast votes)

wich one is the best plane to deal with the Yellow Squad.

1. F-4 Phantom (8 votes [7.02%])

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

2. F-5 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. F-16 Fighting Falcon (1 votes [0.88%])

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

4. Mirrage 2000 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F-18 Hornet (2 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

6. A-10 Thunderbolt (4 votes [3.51%])

Percentage of vote: 3.51%

7. Tornado IDS (0 votes [0.00%])

8. MiG-29 (1 votes [0.88%])

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

9. R-M01 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. F-15C Eagle (4 votes [3.51%])

11. EF-2000 Typhoon (2 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

12. F-117 Nighthawk (0 votes [0.00%])

13. F-15E Strike Eagle (3 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

14. F-15 ACTIVE (4 votes [3.51%])

15. F-22A Raptor (31 votes [27.19%])

Percentage of vote: 27.19%

16. Voted Su-35 (4 votes [3.51%])

17. Su-37 Terminator (31 votes [27.19%])

Percentage of vote: 27.19%

18. F-2A Viper Zero (3 votes [2.63%])

19. S-37A (13 votes [11.40%])

Percentage of vote: 11.40%

20. F-14A (3 votes [2.63%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
I use the F-14 for the lulz...You can take 'em out slow, in a nice dogfight with plenty of thrills, chills, excitiment and more, or you can take 'em out fast with your pheonix . And besidesit just feels right coming off the water in a carrier plane in that mission.
There have been times where I've taken out all the yellows just with pheonix's before they ever got near me, but as a rule that's not much fun.

Oka_Nieba

Oka_Nieba

Commemorating the Anean Continental War!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts
I prefer the S-37A. Since the X-02 is out of the question, the Berkut would be my pick. I use the QAAMs whenever I get either pissed at or bored of chasing one of them in particular. Or if I'm just in a hurry. Plus, it's something they'd never expect: getting owned by the future of Sukhoi. Don't tell me that you wouldn't find a strange irony in getting taken down by an F-35C when all you've got is an F-22A.

On another note, what do you people have against using the best planes, really? Why not arm yourself with the best equipment you can get? It seems that you don't have a problem with using the Wyvern in Ace Combat 5 when the Falken is the best plane available. Really, what's wrong with using top notch planes to go with a top notch pilot? USAF certainly seems to understand that philosophy.

Timerlane

Timerlane

Overseer of Slag Determination

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
Probably one or more of the below:

1. The game is (often) too easy with the best planes. Unless you're grinding for new max scores, it can get a little stale after a while.
2. You have favorite planes that aren't top-tier. Similarly(and/or additionally), you prefer planes that are both 'real' and actually in-service with a country somewhere(possibly just your own).
3. Using non-top-tier planes is also a great skill-builder(at least, IMO). Which, of course, can lead back to point #2.

For AC'04 specifically, the X-02 is also somewhat of a gamebreaker, with twice the QAAM load of the Su-37, a ridiculous number of XLAAs, and nearly the highest speed and agility. Its only failing is the BDSP, and even that, at least, has insane amounts of ammo(twice as much as the Tornado; the only other craft with BDSP).

The AC5/ACZ X-02 was brought down to normal, and its only really notable feature is slightly higher agility than the Su-37 and F-15S/MTD, and really good brakes.

Edited by Timerlane, 21 January 2010 - 09:21 PM.

Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
So I get the feeling most of you prefer using the best planes for the mission. Well I've beaten them with every plane and noticed the enemy (including Yellow squadron) play to their competition some what, so the game makes it not all that hard which ever plane ya choose. The obvious draw back to some planes is the secondary weapons, but taking out Yellows with a Phantom is a blast.
So what is the "best" plane is relative to weather you want to see how fast you can win or just want to enjoy a beefy dogfight.

Galm118

Galm118

That guy

• Members
  • 5,952 posts
I just use the plane I love :lol:

dubit

dubit

Vintage Gamer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

So I get the feeling most of you prefer using the best planes for the mission. Well I've beaten them with every plane and noticed the enemy (including Yellow squadron) play to their competition some what, so the game makes it not all that hard which ever plane ya choose. The obvious draw back to some planes is the secondary weapons, but taking out Yellows with a Phantom is a blast.
So what is the "best" plane is relative to weather you want to see how fast you can win or just want to enjoy a beefy dogfight.

That's an excellent point, and one which I discovered totally by accident. But as you mentioned it can be accomplished by utilizing any bird in the game. I remember all of us back in the day talking aboug this and how hard or easy it was using such and such plane.

Yellow 13

Yellow 13

8W 737

• Global Moderators
  • 11,062 posts

I just use the plane I love ;)

Ditto. :D

Oka_Nieba

Oka_Nieba

Commemorating the Anean Continental War!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Probably one or more of the below:

1. The game is (often) too easy with the best planes. Unless you're grinding for new max scores, it can get a little stale after a while.
2. You have favorite planes that aren't top-tier. Similarly(and/or additionally), you prefer planes that are both 'real' and actually in-service with a country somewhere(possibly just your own).
3. Using non-top-tier planes is also a great skill-builder(at least, IMO). Which, of course, can lead back to point #2.

For AC'04 specifically, the X-02 is also somewhat of a gamebreaker, with twice the QAAM load of the Su-37, a ridiculous number of XLAAs, and nearly the highest speed and agility. Its only failing is the BDSP, and even that, at least, has insane amounts of ammo(twice as much as the Tornado; the only other craft with BDSP).

The AC5/ACZ X-02 was brought down to normal, and its only really notable feature is slightly higher agility than the Su-37 and F-15S/MTD, and really good brakes.

Ah, I see your point. Mostly, I've just been trying to get it done, and haven't been really taking the time for skill building or playing just for fun. Recently, I've been trying to acquire enough cash to buy all of the aircraft, alternate paint schemes, and special weapons, so I've only been using either the Wyvern or the Berkut, depending on the mission. And you're definitely right about the statistical changes for the X-02 from 04 to 5. It was seriously dulled down. But I guess that's probably because it was no longer going to be the best aircraft available and making the Falken more maneuverable than the current version of the X-02 would likely make it harder to control, not easier. So yeah, I guess you're right: it all depends on your intentions.

Skull01

Skull01

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
F22. Fast, maneuverable, stable, XMAA, tons of missiles. Everything you need for a quick job.

AwesomeDude

AwesomeDude

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
F/A-22 cause that's how god intended.

Yellow 15

Yellow 15

Rookie

• Members
  • 47 posts
Check my sig and profile for your answer.

RazgrizRogue

RazgrizRogue

Scrub McNoob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
S-37A, Ah how QAAM spam in a campaign is awesome, Multiplayer, not so much

Cipher(KTO)

Cipher(KTO)

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
its not about the plane its about the pilot

Kovie

Kovie

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts
I can do i with pretty much any of them, but I enjoyed shooting them dowwith the A-10, good challenge that.
though the toughness of the warthog balances out its slow speed

Jester.

Jester.

Your Masta

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
F-22A would be best for mobility, but when they do Cobras, God damn man...

AceWombat

AceWombat

Wah?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
Su-37. Give 'em a taste of their own medicine :lol:

But they can do cobras, and you can't. Bummer.

viperzerof-2

viperzerof-2

Top Gun

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
f-2a best plane for anything

Albino Ace

Albino Ace

Wants an HD R-103 so bad.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

f-2a best plane for anything

As far as this game goes, he speaks the truth (except maybe Mission 8). :lol:

Even though it has no proper A2A SP weapon in 04, getting air kills with RCL is fun. And it certainly has the mobility to handle the Yellows.

Edited by Albino Ace, 22 May 2010 - 12:52 PM.

ICEYOUCOLD

ICEYOUCOLD

Permabanned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
I never really liked Ace Combat 4's physics.

AceWombat

AceWombat

Wah?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

I never really liked Ace Combat 4's physics.

How is it different from later ACs? (Graphics aside)

As far as I'm concerned, they're all pretty much the same, save for AC6.