Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AC#Z Ace names/call sign translations

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Geist

Geist

kthxbai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon
In the thread "The 168 Aces Thread(Spoilers)" I asked if it would be okay/a good idea to translate the names of the Aces (except for the already well-known Ace squadrons).
With permission of Mike 503 I'm opening this thread now.
Thanks to Mike again. :D

I hope this isn't confusing and at least a bit interesting for you. B)

If there is anything else you want translated or any other question - just ask. ^_^

Ace names/call sign translations
All underlned words are links as well.

=Ace Squadrons=

Espada - spanish for "sword" (in german it would be "Schwert")
Gault - the only thing "Gault" is used for in german, is in geology, where it refers to a sub-age during the Cretaceous period. But the world "Gault" is not used that much anymore. It's almost dead. Most liekly it actually should be "Gold", as Kupchenko (the flight lead) was also nicknamed "Gold Woodpecker".
Gelb - german for "yellow"
Grun - better: Grün ; german for "green"
Indigo - obviously "indigo"
Rot - german for "red"
Schnee - german for "snow"
Silber - german for "silver"
Sorcerer - obviously english (in german it would be "Hexer/Zauberer")
Wizard - obviously english (in german it would be "Hexer/Zauberer")

Schwarze - actually it's "schwarz" = "black". German grammar adjusts adjectives to the word they are applied on, depending on the word's/thing's "gender". There are three articles in german, meaning "the": "der" (male), "die" (female), "das" (neutral). Male objects require "-er", female "-e" and neutral "-es" to be added at the end of the adjective. Examples:
1. "Die Sonne" (the sun). A black sun would be "schwarze Sonne".
2. "Der Himmel" (the sky). A black sky would be "schwarzer Himmel".
3. "Das Blut" (the blood). Black blood would be "schwarzes Blut".
"Squadron" in german is "Staffel" or "Schwadron", both words are female. I guess that leads to "Schwarze" instead of "Schwarz".
By the way, german is the ONLY language that refers to the sun as a female object and the moon as a male object.

Pixy - A pixy or "pixie" is a legendary figure to be found in fairy tales, narrativesn myths and simlar stories. It can be something like an elf, a sprite or a fairy.
Galm - origins from Norse mythology. Originally written "Garm". It's a huge dog, guarding Hel (which is the land of the dead AND the goddess of the underworld).

Hresvelgr- origins from Norse mythology. Originally written "Hræsvelgr". It's a giant and the name can be translated to "Corpse Swallower".
Excalibur - origins from the tale about "King Arthur". A sword that was stucked in a stone. A legend said, whoever could pull the sword out of the stone would be the rightful king of Great Britain. Only Arthur was able to do so, therefore becoming king.

Razgriz - Origins from Norse mythology. Originally written "Rathgrith". She was a Valkyrie (minor female deiities, serving Odin and known as furious warriors).

Scinfaxi - Origins from Norse mythology. Originally written "Skinfaxi". Skínfaxi and Hrímfaxi are the horses of Dagr (day) and Nótt (night).
Hrimfaxi - Origins from Norse mythology. Skínfaxi and Hrímfaxi are the horses of Dagr (day) and Nótt (night).

=A=
Absender - addresser/sender
Adler - eagle
Albatros - albatross
Amsel - blackbird
Anwalt - lawyer/advocate/attorney/etc.
Artist - artist(e)/performer

=B=
Bachstelze - wagtail
Bauer - farmer/grower but here it reffers to chess: pawn
Beo - hill myna (also: mynah, mina, minah)
Bergnebel - Berg = mountain ; Nebel = fog/mist
Bergtaube - Berg = mountain ; Taube = dove/pigeon
Bergvogel - Berg = mountain ; Vogel = bird
Biene - bee
Blitz - lightning (also: bolt/flash)

=E=
Eisente - Eis = ice ; Ente = duck (but the "iceduck" in english is the "Long-tailed Duck", clangula hyemalis)
Eisvogel - Eis = ice ; Vogel = bird (but the "icebird" in english is the "kingfisher" ; see here.)
Elch - elk/moose (actually, if you call someone an "Elch" in german, he/she definately will understand this as an insult!)

=F=
Falter - Schmetterling = butterfly ("Falter" [sing. and plu.] are a specific kinds of butterflies, e.g. the "Zitronenfalter" [brimstone], Zitrone = lemon/citron, it reffers to the bright, white and a bit yellow color)
Feinheit - acuteness/fineness/concinnity/nicety/refinement/... - may I add that it sounds stupid for me to call an ace "Feinheit"?
Felsen - rock/cliff
Fischer - fisher(man) (...)
Flamingo - flamingo! (...)
Fliege - (house)fly

=G=
Gabel - fork (all meanings)
Glueck - better: "Glück" (but "ae" = "ä" ; "oe" = "ö" ; "ue" = "ü") - luck(yness)/fortune/bliss/happiness
Grabacr - Origins from Norse mythology. "Grábak" (the original spelling) is a snake residing within Yggdrasil (the "World Tree") [Thanks to "Eternal Freedom" for telling me that!]
Granit - granite

=GRAU=
Grau Falk - grau = grey ; Falke = falcon
Grau Kater - grau = grey ; Kater = male cat
Grau Katze - grau = grey ; Katze = female cat ("Katzen", the plural means "cats" though)
Grau Orce - grau = grey ; couldn't find proper information (perhaps they meant "Orca"? I mean, there is a "Wal" = "whale" as well)
Grau Wespe - grau = grey ; Wespe = wasp

=H=
Habicht - (gos)hawk/sharp-shinned hawk
Harpune - harpoon
Huckebein - there is a really old air craft named "The Huckebein" (like the X-02 is "The Wyvern"). I assume, at NAMCO there are fans of the game "Super Robot Wars", which contained a robot/mecha called "Huckebein".
Hundert - hundred ("I only see one ...")

=I=
Ibis - ibis

=K=
Kolibri - honeysucker/hummingbird/flower bird
Komet - comet (was obvious though ...)
Kon - russian for "horse", there is also a god in Inca mythology called Kon (god of rain and wind).
Kranich - crane (the bird, guys!)
Kritiker - detractor/critic/pundit

=L=
Lanze - lance
Lilie - lily
Lynx - well, in german it's "Luchs" actually. "Lynx" appears in mythology (a ghost-like animal that sees withou tbeing seen) and is a nothern constellation. See also here.

=M=
Messer - knife
Mondlicht - moonlight
Moewe - better: "Möwe" (but "ae" = "ä" ; "oe" = "ö" ; "ue" = "ü") - (sea)gull
Mumie - mummy

=N=
Nachtigall - nightingale
Nebelbank - fog bank

=O=
Ofnir - Origins from Norse mythology. "Ofnir" is a snake residing within Yggdrasil (the "World Tree") [Thanks to "Eternal Freedom" for telling me that!]

=P=
Pelikan - pelican
Pfau - peacock
Postler - post office worker (the word "Postler" is really, really, REALLY seldom used)
Pyoshka - believed to be a homophone for the polish word "piosenka" = "song"

=Q=
Quelle = (here:) spring (not the season) ; also: source and other meanings.

=R=
Rabe - raven
Regen - rain
Reiher - egret/heron
Riese - giant
Ritter - knight
Roller - Finally found it. It's a family of birds. See here. The fun thing: in german the term is almost not used.

=S=
Schakal - jackal
Schatten - shadow
Schauer - (here:) shower/rain
Schwan - swan
Slon - russian for "elephant"
Spatz - sparrow
Spieler - (here:) gambler (also: player)
Springer - "jumper", but here it referes to chess: knight (in german the knight is also called "Pferd" = "horse" and "Reiter" = "rider")
Spuk - spook
Sternchen - asterisk/starlet/little star ("-chen" in german "cutefys" words [it's not omnipotent!], "Stern" = "star")
Storch - stork
Strom - (here:) river/stream ("Strom" in this case in german referes to rather big rivers)
Suerte - spanish for "luck" [Thanks to "wetman" for telling me that!]. Can also mean "fate"/"destiny"

=T=
Tausend - thousand ("Still, I only see one, 'kay?")
Tiger - tiger (...)
Trinker - drinker ("Trinker" usually refers to alcoholics/drunkards)
Trombe - (here:) whirlwind ("Trombe" is some special kind of whirlwinds)
Turm - tower, but here it refers to chess: castle/rook

=V=
Vampir - vampire
Vulkan - volcano/vulcan

=W=
Wal - whale
Wetterhahn - weathercock, Wetter = weather ; Hahn = cock
Weihe - harrier (a bird)
Wildgans - goose/brant, wild = wild (here: NOT domesticated) ; Gans = goose
Woge - billow/surge/wave
Wolkenmeer - Wolke = cloud ; Meer - ocean/sea ("Wolken" is plural, sometimes german grammer demands plural for such word composions. German also has "Ozean")
Wolkenwand - Wolke = cloud ; Wand - wall ("Wolken" is plural, sometimes german grammer demands plural for such word composions)
Wuerfel - better: "Würfel" (but "ae" = "ä" ; "oe" = "ö" ; "ue" = "ü") - (here:) dice (also: cube)
Wuerger - better: "Würger" (but "ae" = "ä" ; "oe" = "ö" ; "ue" = "ü") - (here:) shrike (also: strangler)

=Z=
Zugvogel - migratory bird

Last Update: May 13th, 2007

Ender

Ender

3N51GN 4 4DM1N

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Squad:Endocraticapublican Party
  • Plane:Su-33 Flanker-D
Cool, good work Aurum...

Yellow 29

Yellow 29

Chief Stage Technician 1st Class Ret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Squad:Aquila Wing
  • Plane:MiG-35 Fulcrum-F
hey Aurum I have A Question

are all the callsigns in German?

Geist

Geist

kthxbai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
Almost.
Some like Ofnir, Grabacr, Pyoshka and Suerte (for example) are not.
But apart from this, it's not a major mistake to act on the assumption that each and every call sign of belkan planes/pilots is german (still, Schwarze 1 and Schwarze 2 are Yuktobanians - not every pilot there is automaically Belkan).

Eternal Freedom

Eternal Freedom

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Plane:F-15 ACTIVE
Good job on that list, Aurum!

Anyways, here's a little bit of info:

If I;m not mistaken, Grabacr and Ofnir are actually of Norse origin. "Grabak" (Its original spelling) and Ofnir are snakes residing in the Yggdrassil.

Hikki Kokurabuji

Hikki Kokurabuji

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Plane:Su-37 Flanker-F
I like the list. Maybe I should use some of them.

Thanks for the contribution, Aurum L:)

Geist

Geist

kthxbai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

If I'm not mistaken, Grabacr and Ofnir are actually of Norse origin. "Grabak" (Its original spelling) and Ofnir are snakes residing in the Yggdrassil.

I'll add that to the list. Thank you.

And thanks to all of you. You're giving me too much credit, it wasn't that hard at all. B)

YF-23

YF-23

Louis Posteur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • Plane:YF-23A
Hmm, are you sure about Grabak and Ofnir in Norse mythology?

Guest_sonofabandit_*

Guest_sonofabandit_*
  • Guests
Still it must have took a good 30 minutes to post this. Your work is very much appreciated.

scottishace

scottishace

Glasgow Rangers Champions Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
what about pixy, but very good post.

Eternal Freedom

Eternal Freedom

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Plane:F-15 ACTIVE

Hmm, are you sure about Grabak and Ofnir in Norse mythology?

Yes... I believe I've read that somewhere. Their snake insignias further solidify that fact.

Other serpents also lived under Yggdrasil. The names of these serpents are Góin, Grábak, Grafvitnir, Grafvölud, Móin, Ofnir and Sváfnir.

From what I've read... A pixy is a mischievous elf-like creature or a fairy...

Geist

Geist

kthxbai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Still it must have took a good 30 minutes to post this. Your work is very much appreciated.

It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to make the list, add the translations, look up everything in wikipedia to add the links (that' was the investigation part), correct it and make sure, it's not too confusing.
Then I just used "ctrl+C" and "ctrl+V" and the post was done.
No that much work, in the end.

Oh god, I thought that would be obvious! Okay, Eternal Freedom is right again, it's some kind of fairy ans/or sprite.

[edit:]
I added information about other appearing enemies and so on to the list, now including the Ace Squadrons, Hreasvelgr, Razgriz, Scin/Hrimfaxi, Razgriz ...

YF-23

YF-23

Louis Posteur

• Members
  • 4,245 posts

Yes... I believe I've read that somewhere. Their snake insignias further solidify that fact.

Other serpents also lived under Yggdrasil. The names of these serpents are Góin, Grábak, Grafvitnir, Grafvölud, Móin, Ofnir and Sváfnir.

Hmm, I was saying that because I looked at Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia....Norse_mythology

and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

and there was no refferance to Grabak or Ofnir. I also searched Grabak, nothing, and Ofnir, which gave me a link to the AC5 article.

Guest_ESP_*

Guest_ESP_*
  • Guests

and there was no refferance to Grabak or Ofnir. I also searched Grabak, nothing, and Ofnir, which gave me a link to the AC5 article.

Well, to help you out a little, it's spelled "Grabacr"

YF-23

YF-23

Louis Posteur

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
Well, according to the EF the spelling for the Norse mythology name is Grabak.

Guest_ESP_*

Guest_ESP_*
  • Guests
Search it in google instead of wikipedia, that site doesn't know everything

YF-23

YF-23

Louis Posteur

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
I searched Grabak and got a band called "Lair of Grabak" and Ofnir will probably lead me to AC5 related sites. What I meant was that Grabak and Ofnir are not in the articles I provided links to. Not a simpe referance.

Geist

Geist

kthxbai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
True. When I searched through the net I got the same results.
But Grábak and Ofnir sound very likely to other names from the Norse mythology. Not that this is an evidence though ...

YF-23

YF-23

Louis Posteur

• Members
  • 4,245 posts
Yeah. And the name "Lair of Grabak" may be taken from Norse mythology, seeing as "Lair of Grabak" is a Black Metal band.

Geist

Geist

kthxbai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
A lot of such bands chose names of mythological characters you want to say? Such as "Marduk" (only herad of them, that's why I mention it now)?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users