Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Strigon Vs. Yellow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

Poll: Yellow vs. Strigon (172 member(s) have cast votes)

who would win in all out air combat

1. Yellow (126 votes [73.26%])

Percentage of vote: 73.26%

2. Strigon (30 votes [17.44%])

Percentage of vote: 17.44%

3. they're both equal (16 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

CanyonSurfer

CanyonSurfer

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
I took the question quite literally. If they were in combat, given what they've got....High G vs. No High G and a superplane in their midst that fires 16 missles at a time...

Sure, on equal footing, Yellow wins in battle. Given what they've got, I think strigon has a slight edge.

Kyndrid

Kyndrid

Poo-Tee-Weet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
Well, high-G isn't the plane, it's the game, so really, both would have high-G

And even with the superplane, I doubt strigon would win.

Excalibur One

Excalibur One

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
And besides shooting down 4 and 13 was not much of a challenge. At least the Strigon fired back, and used tactics.

Garaballo

Garaballo

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Yellow.

ISAF Pilot: Shit! Yellows! RUN!

Srsly, as most say, Yellows come in a nice package, they have the lore, they have the planes, they have the appeal and above all, they serve a purpose in the story.

That's why it does not matters how many times you try to kill a Yellow before stonehenge, YOU JUST CAN'T.

Strigon, on the other hand, can be moped the floor with and the story will carry on regradless.

Hell, it's like the Aigaion, it's just there for the show.

FREE THE [email protected] 1

Local Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
Yellow would win. Superior aircraft + superior skill = Win.

Green Owl

Green Owl

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Yellows. They don't require superplanes that break the laws of physics and AI-hax.

Take your pick? Hax physics or hax missiles?

And is "ISAF Pilot: Shit! Yellows! RUN!" an actual in-game quote? If so, that's awesome.

Anyway, I think we can all mostly agree that the Yellow's mythos is far superior to that of Strigon, but that isn't what the op was asking. I was messing around in AoA4 the other night and Strigon and Pasty simply played cat-and-mouse with me for 10 minutes, but that still wasn't as nerve-wracking as any single Ace Farbanti encounter I've played through.

Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

CAN'T DED THE FISHBED

• Members
  • 4,033 posts

Take your pick? Hax physics or hax missiles?

I'll take 2 of each, thanks.

Local Legend

• Banned
  • 4,672 posts
The thing about strigon is they're used about as liberally as an F-111 uses fuel during a dump-and-burn. I think they showed up in pretty much every mission bar two or three.

Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

CAN'T DED THE FISHBED

• Members
  • 4,033 posts
AC6 Strigon appearances:

Mission 1: yeah (optional kills, after 3-4 are shot down they back off)
Mission 2: nah
Mission 3: nah
Mission 4: yeah (optional kills)
Mission 5: nah
Mission 6: yeah
Mission 7: nah
Mission 8: nah
Mission 9: yeah
Mission 10: nah
Mission 11: yeah (5?)
Mission 12: nah
Mission 13: yeah (hax-mode)
Mission 14: nah
Mission 15: yeah (optional kills)

There's about 30 total you can kill in one campaign playthrough, in 7/15 missions (or a little under half).

Now for AC04's Yellows:

Mission 1: nah
Mission 2: nah
Mission 3: nah
Mission 4: nah
Mission 5: yeah (invincible, GTFO)
Mission 6: nah
Mission 7: nah
Mission 8: nah
Mission 9: yeah (invincible, but this time they GTFO)
Mission 10: nah
Mission 11: nah
Mission 12: nah
Mission 13: yeah (can only kill 1)
Mission 14: nah
Mission 15: yeah (5 of them I think?)
Mission 16: nah
Mission 17: yeah (5)
Mission 18: yeah (15...)

6/18 missions, a third. And only in 4 of those 18 can you actually kill them.

So where am I going with this?

Overuse of an "ace" squadron leads to them seeming more like normal enemies and less of aces. Hell, you don't even get to kill a Yellow until well past the halfway point of the game. Strigon, on the other hand, can be slaughtered in epic quantities from day 1 if you're so-inclined, and they lose that 'all-powerful' feeling. Which is why Namco had to pull a superplane, hax physics, hax weapons and 30+ UAVs on the player to make Strigon seem like a dangerous enemy again.

Garaballo

Garaballo

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Which is why Namco had to pull a superplane, hax physics, hax weapons and 30+ UAVs on the player to make Strigon seem like a dangerous enemy again.

And even then, Pasternak's dialogue was completeley meaningless, his "epic boss music" was more of an annoiance rather than an actual soundtrack, and all you could see was him spamming missiles that made annoing noises every 5 seconds, wich forced you to lower the volume on your stereo and killed the mood.

That's why I put the yellows so high on a pedestal, It took a 12 year old girl, an IED, her stubborness and your rellative skill to take down Yellow 04.

Strigon 01

Strigon 01

Memento Mori

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
yellow squadron
Su-37's owns Su-33's in my personal opinion
not to mention the yellows have more skill than Strigon

Edited by Strigon 01, 01 December 2008 - 01:05 PM.

Excalibur One

Excalibur One

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I still think that Strigon would win. But I am leaning a little more every time more info is presented.

Garaballo

Garaballo

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

I still think that Strigon would win. But I am leaning a little more every time more info is presented.

No worries, AoA01 Strigon attack is quite impressive, but without any dialogue changes, and the fact that you need to beat them keeps them as a "Garuda-fooder", Mobious in the other hand...

I'd say that Strigon is a nice squad, but if you have played 04 allready you won't be as impressed.

Necron 1

Necron 1

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
Joey, I believe it was mission 12(Stonehenge Offensive) where you shot down Yellow 04. Mission 13(Safe Return) was that crappy one with the U-2 Dragonlady and the jammers...

Excalibur One

Excalibur One

Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Joey, I believe it was mission 12(Stonehenge Offensive) where you shot down Yellow 04. Mission 13(Safe Return) was that crappy one with the U-2 Dragonlady and the jammers...

Yep thats correct I think it was something else though. The name of the spy plane.

Elude

Elude

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

That's why I put the yellows so high on a pedestal, It took a 12 year old girl, an IED, her stubborness and your rellative skill to take down Yellow 04.

OMG Thank you, finally someone who gets it.

And I think Joeyski got confused because Yellow 4's death is mention in M13.
If you can't tell by now, I highly favor AC4 over every other game/storyline.

Raptorguy

Raptorguy

Top Gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
Strigon shouldn't be allowed to fly on the same planet as Yellow Squadron.

Yellows will always be the greatest adversary squadron on AC.

Besides, I don't see Emeria being ordered to turn tail and run at the first site of the Strigons.

Edited by Raptorguy, 03 December 2008 - 02:30 PM.

Local Legend

• Banned
  • 4,672 posts
The thing is, strigon were so close to being better than yellow. Better use of strigon and a little better dialogue and we'd hail strigon as better than yellow.

PositronCannon

PositronCannon

very likely to be not ded

• Members
  • 4,802 posts
Technically, Yellow is better, both gameplay and setting-wise. However, I have more fun against Strigon, because, with the exception of the pair at Bartolomeo Fortress and Pasty, they can't really do anything you can't. Yellow have all these extreme low speed (as in stalling-low) maneuvers and, while it does them more harm than good, the Cobra. I don't mind, it's still fun and adds to the challenge, but come on...

So yeah, I say Yellow, but it's more of an artificially forced "epicness"... their AI is really nothing special, they just turn randomly and spam missiles at you. I've seen Strigon and ACZ aces intentionally evade missiles at the last second. But Yellows are still harder to beat, and that doesn't change.

EDIT: Wait, me, professional AC6 fanboy and AC04 anti-fanboy saying this? The hell is going on? :lol:

Edited by PositronCannon, 02 December 2008 - 07:35 AM.

Guest_Batfag_*

Guest_Batfag_*
  • Guests
Hmm, first of all, the aircraft. If the Su-37 and Su-33 were in the same game, the Su-37 would be substantially better in performance.

Now, I understand the max number of Yellows is 15 and Strigon is 12. Though the 15 Yellows in Megalith are rookies. Also, the Yellows performance is scripted. One mission they are made to be untouchable, another they are made not so hard to kill.

Strigon are tough always, but can always be killed.

So, if we put them both in the same physical world, where the Yellows cant break those physics, the aircraft would make the bigger difference, since the pilots are, imo, more or less of the same skill. So I'll have to go for Yellow Squadron.