Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fanfic Central General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

Red_Swallow

Red_Swallow

A Pilot that Lives by Pride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

That's still Mary Sue, in the end, your character still surmounts the odds and wins the day. I'm talking about the small players, the people 'in the shit'. Create a story through their eyes, and you'll open up a new dimension not availible to Ace pilots.

Well, that's exactly what I'm writing about now. In a way, with a few differences. However, it's about infantry combat, not air to air combat. The only thing is, and I learned this the hard way...is that if you're going to write a story about someone small it has to be interesting. Because, let's face it, most people like reading about big, interesting figures. They're polarizing and traditional, and people latch on to it. That's why I have to tie in bigger stuff with the small stuff.

Red_9

Red_9

PSN ID: Ibisleigh_1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
  • Squad:335th No-Such-Thing Squad
  • Plane:F/A-18C Hornet
I'm thinking I'll have to put time aside this holiday and get a chapter up, just so I can show these other...newcomers how a proper fanfic is done, because the amount of nonsense we're getting sickens me.

Seraph 5

Seraph 5

Gliding on blessed wings

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Plane:S-32 Golden Eagle
Aren't you writing an actual novel, RS? I hope you don't get plagued by the kind of procrastination problems I have. >.<

Anyway, my own story that I've been revising is quite the "lol supa war" fic with aces you've pretty much all been describing... and decrying. At least it's got far more time and effort invested in it than most, and all I hope is that it's entertaining, since it obviously won't shake your world. ;)

But since writing that first one, I've been experimenting with different vantage points and making characters more realistic. That's proven challenging, and when I finally start putting up chapters, I await your criticism with eagerness rather than antipathy. :D

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
What I'd like to know is if anyone even reads my fanfic. With my most recent chapter, the views count shot up considerably (in fact much more than I expected). Odd thing is, only one comment has been posted since I put up the latest chapter. WHich makes me wonder how many are actually reading, but never bothering to post.

Schnee 8

Schnee 8

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Plane:F-5E Tiger II
I read the new chapter, and I must say that its pretty well nothing short of what you've done in the past..

I just usually don't log in much anymore, so you know.. :lol: .. don't want to add any posts that may seem like spam pretty well saying the same..

viperzerof-2

viperzerof-2

Top Gun

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Plane:F-2A Viper Zero
I was thinking of doing somthin in the ac3 timeline involing and invasion of earth that sound ok to anyone

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts

I was thinking of doing somthin in the ac3 timeline involing and invasion of earth that sound ok to anyone

You should PM me what you've got, or whatever ideas you have. Maybe I can give ya a little hand.

Ans Schnee, don't worry about spam, that problem has long since passed.

Edited by Red_9, 03 January 2009 - 02:23 PM.

Schnee 8

Schnee 8

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Plane:F-5E Tiger II
Heh.. I'll remember that the next chapter then.. :mellow:

Would redo my old fic, but I'm quite busy enough at the moment with other stuff..

Red_Swallow

Red_Swallow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
Man, you know what? I think I like writing about ground combat more than air combat. The interactions are just fascinating to me. I don't even think people need to read my last fic to get this one. So far, I've got four chapters working. One of my friends on ff.net emailed me and told me, "This is how you write a fanfic." I wasn't so sure at the time. I'll let you guys decide. I think a little rust is showing but I really, really like this fic and where it's going. I haven't felt this way in a long time.

http://www.fanfictio...he_Dogs_of_Soma

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
I agree, Red; stuff on the ground is much more enjoyable to write, because you can cater to all aspects of your story, instead of just verbal interactions and imagery. When you're on the ground, you can get into things such as facial expression, more diversity in how your characters move around the story world (rather than just flying everywhere); the whole story as a whole flourishes much more. I like to write aerial combat just as much as the next Ace Combat fan. I just find that it's a little restrictive.

Nice work on the new fic; lots of imagery! Flows very well.

Red_Swallow

Red_Swallow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

I agree, Red; stuff on the ground is much more enjoyable to write, because you can cater to all aspects of your story, instead of just verbal interactions and imagery. When you're on the ground, you can get into things such as facial expression, more diversity in how your characters move around the story world (rather than just flying everywhere); the whole story as a whole flourishes much more. I like to write aerial combat just as much as the next Ace Combat fan. I just find that it's a little restrictive.

Nice work on the new fic; lots of imagery! Flows very well.

Actually I'm working on Chap 5 now, I should have it done by Thursday or Friday. The MC and two others are going on a recon mission. Then after that, I have a whole chapter from Tasha's POV. Hell, I haven't even brought in the Dogmen yet! It's so exciting.

Tomcatter 503

Tomcatter 503

Veteran

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat
Because of my discouragement in recent years with my writing of my AC4 book or on Usean continental war chronology, cuase me to shelve the project for awhile. However I am wanting to get back on reworking the whole thing by starting with the chapter on the Ulysses asteroid. I have the chapter wrote but it's in need of some serious re-doing. I know in the past few years I have asked for help and I know people offered but I never followed through, mostly due to my disgust with my writing. So if anyone is interested and can offer some assistance or suggestions, I could use the help.

If so interested you can contact me on XBL either those who are already on my friends list on XBL or send me a friend request. I would really appreciate any help.

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
Why would you need to be contacted through XBL? It'd be much more efficient if you just conversed through ACS.com...

Tomcatter 503

Tomcatter 503

Veteran

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat
Granted I could converse here at ACS. However I feel that being able to talk with someone personally could be much more helpful as to asking here. But whatever it's no big deal and I was making the request if someone was interested.

Edited by Tomcatter 503, 08 February 2009 - 03:59 PM.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,832 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle
Anyone have any thoughts on the new fic I published? I wanna know how to improve my fiction.

Rapier 1

Rapier 1

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Squad:The Lancers
  • Plane:JAS-39C Gripen
Just posted my first Ace Combat fan fiction (well, part of it anyway). Opinions?

gunslinger

gunslinger

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • Squad:Lone gunfighter for hire.
  • Plane:F-15C Eagle
Would anyone mind, if I posted a non AC story I've been working on? Its kind of a black-ops/CT thing. Think 24 with a Tom Clancy influence.

Hero

Hero

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Squad:Oured Times
  • Plane:Not Specified
There are no rules in Fanfic Central. Ergo, you can post whatever story you wish. Conversely, though, we're allowed to critique your writing in anyway we see fit

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
  • Squad:FA
  • Plane:F-15SG Eagle
Hay bunches of sticks:

Read this, this, and everything else on that site before writing.

The Protector

The Protector

Infamous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Squad:Funkizzle Squadrizzle
  • Plane:F-16E Block 60 Falcon

Hay bunches of sticks:

Read this, this, and everything else on that site before writing.

Good site Zaku, it's simple and easy enough for almost anyone to understand gives people a "reality check."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users