Welcome to Ace Combat Skies
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fanfic Central General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

Red_9

Red_9

PSN ID: Ibisleigh_1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
  • Squad:335th No-Such-Thing Squad
  • Plane:F/A-18C Hornet
I think it's about time we got a place to just openly talk about the fanfic scene, seeing as there isn't anywhere where we can. I always find myself wanting to just chat about fanfics, so here we are.

Talk about fanfics, and stay civilized!

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,838 posts
  • Plane:F-15E Strike Eagle
Ehhh, The fan fiction scene has been pretty... Non-existant for the past several months; No real big stories, and not even much of the crappy ones that give me a good LOL. Hopefully, that will change eventually with the onset of summer.

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
I know whatcha mean. I've gotten into a couple good ones, only to find the author forgot about it. Tuth be told, my own fanfic hasn't been updated in months...

Hero

Hero

Seasoned Chicken Nugget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Squad:Oured Times
  • Plane:Not Specified
Heh...I know you guys liked mine that I started way back when, but then I started having more fun with "Nightfall", only to find my stories get crappier, so I gave up

Seraph 5

Seraph 5

Gliding on blessed wings

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Plane:S-32 Golden Eagle
Well, I'll be justifying my presence here sometime with my own first story, which is entirely complete, but needs simple revision. It should be interesting, and I'll definitely update it to the end. <_<

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
  • Squad:FA
  • Plane:F-15SG Eagle
Evaluation of recent fanfiction:

Plots:

zomg razgrez n mobious teem up n save wrld frum belkans

Character development:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Yeah, as deep as that. Plus a Mary Sue here and there.

Overall:

About on par with this guy.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,838 posts
Zaku's right. What we need is sheer Brilliance like this:

Half Life: Full Life Consequences

Best. Fanfic. Ever.

[EDIT: Screw it, I'll learn to embed movies some other time. A link will do for now]

Edited by Ribbon Yellow, 02 June 2008 - 09:10 PM.

Red_9

Red_9

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
I think there was one, once upon a time. It was a collaboration fic, I think.

Tweak

Tweak

I got my drink, I got my music

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts
  • Squad:StratMil/Funky Squadron
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat
Whatever happened to some of the good ones like Crimson Skies or The Winter War? Those were pretty good....

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
Uh another project. Plus being busy with flying lessons. However, Crimson Skies will be finished once I complete my current project. Both are relatively short, so all of my stuff will be done this summer.

lilrick007

lilrick007

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Plane:F/A-18F Super Hornet
You know i have to agree with mostly everyone.. The fan fic scene has been dry like a bone.
Heck, even i been suffering from the writer's sickness! But hopefully i might find the time to write one.
When i do want to write one, i usually get busy or lose my thoughts! But hopefully the fan fics will pick back up and if we're lucky, someone might write a story thats so juicy, it make you wanna grill a steak cuz the story was that good!!!

This is lilrick and im out!

Edited by lilrick007, 03 June 2008 - 11:23 PM.

Scherzo

Scherzo

Revy-Chan!

• Members
  • 4,838 posts
The problem with Ace Combat Fan Fiction is that Aerial combat does not usually translate well to the page. It is very dry and technical; and hard for the average joe to make it interesting. In the Fic I'm working on, there is almost no air combat involved. Hopefully, I can get the ball rolling on this one.

Black Dagger

Black Dagger

Pleasure to bleed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Plane:FB-22 Strike Raptor
Is an Ace Combat fanfic without aerial combat possible?

Green Giant

Green Giant

Yellow Squadron Commander

• Members
  • 7,330 posts
  • Squad:Aquila Wing/Yellow Squadron
  • Plane:EF2000 Typhoon

The problem with Ace Combat Fan Fiction is that Aerial combat does not usually translate well to the page. It is very dry and technical; and hard for the average joe to make it interesting. In the Fic I'm working on, there is almost no air combat involved. Hopefully, I can get the ball rolling on this one.

I seen several fanfics that are written that have some very good ACM descriptions. You just have to have a good imagination and the ability to put this down in the written word.. Have you ever read Dale Brown, or Richard Hermann books??

I think the people that have written fanfics in the past either lose interest, or have writer's block.

Black Dagger

Black Dagger

Pleasure to bleed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Plane:FB-22 Strike Raptor
Point well taken.

B26P38

B26P38

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Plane:JA-37 Viggen
2 others that are somewhat good at discribing fictional combat operations Tom Clancy and Ian Slater

Edited by B26P38, 04 June 2008 - 01:56 PM.

Zaku

Zaku

Veteran

• Members
  • 6,630 posts
Tom Clancy is terrible; all he can do is describe a general overview of a strategic situation; on a smaller scale his characters are two-dimensional and pathetic.

CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• Members
  • 6,827 posts
  • Squad:Belkan Air Force
  • Plane:Su-35 Flanker-E
Yeah, Clancy is pretty bad. Although the strategy and movements in "Red Storm Rising" were pure gold, the characters didn't really feel real.

Dale Brown is slightly better with characters, but GOD does he get bogged down in technical crap. I found myself flipping pages constantly while reading "Flight of the Old Dog" due to the massive amount of explanations regarding B-52 combat systems. It got really repetitive after a while.
But his air combat descriptions were pretty good. I don't know how he'd write a dogfight. "Day of the Cheetah" is next on my list, so I'll find out then.

But if anyone finds an author that writes GOOD air to air engagements and has 3 dimensional characters, let me know.

Tomcatter 503

Tomcatter 503

Veteran

• Members
  • 5,759 posts
  • Plane:F-14D Super Tomcat

2 others that are somewhat good at discribing fictional combat operations Tom Clancy and Ian Slater

Ian Slater's writing was horrible especially his World War III series of books which I chucked into the garbage. The best story of what WWIII might be like was Red Storm rising. When I decided to do my fanfic for the Usean war 2004-2005, I wanted to do it as a chronology of the events because I felt I could do a better job in that form rather than from a character perspective. What also gave me my inspiration were all those news articles and such that came out in those early days before AC4 was released. It hasn't been easy as I am still struggling to this day to put this all together in book form so that it will be something interesting for people to read. I had also did a story or a report on the Fort Grace class carriers of the ISAF Navy which is a part of my book as well as a section dedicated to the Ulysses asteroid which currently I am in the process of redoing.

Tempest

Tempest

• Members
  • 4,014 posts
  • Plane:Not Specified

Is an Ace Combat fanfic without aerial combat possible?

Of course it is. Contrary to what the games tend to suggest, there is more to the how the universe runs then blowing up stuff in aircraft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users